Author Topic: Side Walls  (Read 4161 times)

Offline GBORN

• Sly
Side Walls
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:49:47 AM »
For whatever reason, the sides of my head seem to be more prone to razor burn or irritation.  I don't have any redness or irritation on top or back.  After my shave, sides are red and irritated, seems to go away slightly after a few hours.  I use a new razor on the HB about every 3 shaves and I shave the sides last to let that area soften up with Headslick.

BaldRob

Re: Side Walls
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:57:33 AM »
GBORN, do you shave at the sink or in the shower?  When I was just a face shaver at the sink, I would get irritation a lot... once I moved to the shower, I rarely get any irritation.

Also, make sure that you're not putting too much pressure on the blade and shave with, rather than against the grain.

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:51:09 AM »
shower shaver...

Perhaps on the sides I will go with grain.  I've been going against grain to get ultra slick

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:29:14 AM »
shower shaver...

Perhaps on the sides I will go with grain.  I've been going against grain to get ultra slick

Do you use any type of exfoliator, like HeadShed or St. Ives Apricot Scrub?  If not, that might help clear some of the dead skin and grit away prior to shaving...

Also, if you use a moisturizer be sure to wait for a little while after shaving until you put it on (or rinse your head in cold water during your shower to close the pores)

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »
shower shaver...

Do you use any type of exfoliator, like HeadShed or St. Ives Apricot Scrub?  If not, that might help clear some of the dead skin and grit away prior to shaving...

Also, if you use a moisturizer be sure to wait for a little while after shaving until you put it on (or rinse your head in cold water during your shower to close the pores)

I do everything you mentioned.  In fact, here's my routine.
Hot water, St. Ives Apricot scrub, Headslick, Shave, Cold water rinse, Clearhead, Headlube

I thought perhaps the menthol is irritating, but the irritation is only on sides, above ears.

BaldRob

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 08:54:31 AM »
Hmmmmm... ???

I guess your last resort is to try going with the grain...  Either that or maybe try a different type of blade in the HB, i.e., Atra, Sensor, HB Double or triple...

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 09:18:48 AM »
I think you need to drink a beer between steps 3 & 4, GBorn.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 10:49:51 AM »
GBORN,  Have you tried going with the grain, and then against?  I'm a shower shaver too, and I always found that going against the grain first didn't work well for me.  But going with, and then against causes no irritation for me.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 11:26:02 AM »
Couldn't agree more, Stew. With the grain (front to back for me) works best for first pass with the HeadBlade.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »
I will definitely try with grain first and then against grain.  O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 02:05:15 PM »
I will definitely try with grain first and then against grain.  O0

I had the same issue and changing to this routine cleared it up.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 03:15:43 PM »
I had the same prob.  The sides always were irritated.  I just started shaving with the Grain, and that definatly helped.  I go against the Grain when I know I am going to be in a Compromising Position (Hot Date, I let her choose the Position  ^-^ 8)).  Otherwise, I just go with the Grain.   

You might notice, some brothers here have their everyday routine, but some also have a distinct routine that is meant for precision for those "Extra Special" moments where it matters.  That way you can have your Pie and Eat It too (Pun Intended  :D)
Peace

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 04:01:24 PM »
I think you need to drink a beer between steps 3 & 4, GBorn.

That's what I do

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 04:05:35 PM »
You could try switching to an oil instead.  A lot of guys have found that cuts down on the irritation.

And schro:  just between steps 3 and 4?
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Enter your email address: