Author Topic: I bought some 'Shave Secret' a couple of days ago  (Read 7547 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I bought some 'Shave Secret' a couple of days ago
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
Is all of Louisiana like that or just NO? I've been to Shreveport and I dont remember it being quite so, err, 'cultured'
Sorry about that trip :o!  Only been there once or twice, it's more like East Texas.  And it's a southern town, NO is not the south in that sense. 

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
yes it did feel very Texan. Florida also never feels particularly 'southern' to me either. That feels more like California, even outside of the bigger towns.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »
That feels more like California, even outside of the bigger towns.
You got that right--some parts of the Panhandle and around Ocala, the horse country, are more southern, but for the most part it's NY and CA.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
Miami doesnt feel like a southern city in any way at all. Jacksonville did (kinda) but I cant say I noticed much 'south' anywhere else.

I think the only two states I've been to that feel like they have their own identity are Alaska and Texas. The others all seem to melt into another state, culturally. At least, of the ones I've been to (and there are only 8 I havent been to, yet) :D

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
Miami doesnt feel like a southern city in any way at all.
 The others all seem to melt into another state, culturally. At least, of the ones I've been to (and there are only 8 I havent been to, yet) :D
Miami and that area have a tremendous Cuban presence, just as Texas, Houston & Austin south are heavily influenced by Mexican culture.
To my mind the mid-west plains states, Iowa, etc. have except for very limited areas lost any distinctive character they may have had.  The Amana Colonies in Iowa have by in large relapsed into quasi Disney tourist areas, and while more interesting to the tourist than the surrounding areas aren't as distinctive as I suspect they must have been at one time.  To my view a lot of television has been a great influence in blending the whole thing together into franchises, large name big box stores and malls with the same stores throughout.  Little is left in any area that can't be found someplace else.  In an odd fashion perhaps it's like the loss of the local pubs in the English countryside. 

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
Im not sure there's been a pub decline. Most people are worried about the decline of the post office in rural areas. Lots of them are being shut down. But you can still get a drink or three in most villages :D

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
I like Shave Secret a lot but it breaks me out! (Thread back on track)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »
Well I'll give it a try. It sounds good.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2011, 08:46:17 AM »
Wild,  I actually like a lot of things raw--herring, sushi, tartar, ceviche, and of course oysters--lots and lots of oysters on the half shell--two or three dozen are a great starter...
This guy knows how to eat well!  My two favorite things to eat are bloody, cold-in-the-center, thick porterhouse and fresh oysters on the half-shell.  I just made/ate a breakfast consisting of my homemade biscuits, bacon (some chewy, some crisp), and sunny-side-up pullet eggs (from a lady who has chickens as pets) and washed it down with coffee from my french press.  Despite all that, an extra-rare steak and raw oysters sounds delicious to me right now.

*X Man smiley*

I get queasy drinking milk, so all that tongue stuff just makes me want to upchuck.
Heheh...it's weird what disgusts one person makes another salivate.  I grew up drinking milk from the dairy on which my brother worked.  It was just about a mile up the road.  To this day, I still shake the store-bought milk jug vigorously before pouring.  This was a habit born from having to do so with the fresh whole dairy milk that had cream collecting on the top.

We raised hogs, chickens, and cattle (dairy and beef).  As a child, I hated having to get up at 0430 to feed the calves their milk.  But I loved drinking the warm milk squirted straight from their mothers' teat  into my glass!

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
But I loved drinking the warm milk squirted straight from their mothers' teat  into my glass!

Please evacuate the area immediately. I have officially entered upchuck mode.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »
But I loved drinking the warm milk squirted straight from their mothers' teat  into my glass!

Please evacuate the area immediately. I have officially entered upchuck mode.
Ha! I know, you probably heard banjos when you read that post.  I'm really not a country bumpkin.  I'm just country.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
No banjos, I just had visions of warm milk sloshing around in my mouth and then finding its way into my stomach. Eww. EWW.

I dont like milk even if its been heated in a saucepan. For me, it has to be ICE cold otherwise I cant drink it, so squirting it directly from the cow into my glass and then down my throat is definitely cause for some serious upchucking :(

*runs to bathroom to lose today's lunch but doesnt get there in time*