Author Topic: The 1980's...  (Read 18240 times)

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
The 1980's...
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:03:20 AM »
...was the greatest decade for music EVER.

Discuss

:)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: The 1980's...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »
Missed it by a decade. If you ignore the disco nonsense, the 70's rocked!

Though I will concede that the 80's are a close second.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:27:29 AM by TheSlyBear »

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
The 80's were definitely the best.  I have XM radio and it stays on 80's on 8 and Classic Rewind.  There is no better music in my opinion.   O0
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »
Oh its all coming through very clearly now. I can imagine you in silver platform boots, a diamonte waistcoat and LONG curly hair :D :D :D

*runs away fast*

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
The 80's were definitely the best.  I have XM radio and it stays on 80's on 8 and Classic Rewind.  There is no better music in my opinion.   O0

Very obviously a man of impeccable taste.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:37 AM »
I guess I liked the late 60's and early 70's best but being in New Orleans we had and still have,  the music from "outside the levees", Stones, Doors, etc., but we were and are blessed with an embarrassment of riches in live local music, not only Fats Domino, but many others, Irma Thomas, Dave Bartholomey, Dr. John, the various bands of the Neville Brothers and so much more in the trad jazz tradition.  So my favorites aren't from a particular decade but a "gumbo" of all the music, particularly live performances on the street, in clubs, at parties that the local culture provides us.  I really like the street music, you just never know when you're going to come on a group playing in the Vieux Carre or at a street party.   I was also lucky enough to have an older cousin who gave me his 45 collection, Sun Records and others, with Little Richard and the 50's R&R, Jerry Lee Lewis--from Ferriday, LA and lots of other pre-Beatles groups, and I still have boxes of LP's that need to be converted to a more modern format not only for preservation but for ease of listening.  I just couldn't exclude any of it by having a favorite.  

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 10:16:43 AM »
Both me and a friend had rock star hair and are both SLY now.

I remember both of us actually kept a log of the top 10 so we knew what 45s to investigate.

We made our own DJ shows...usually KISS related.

We didn't like tapes much(other than our own recordings) because we liked being able to set that needle on the record player just right to get the song we wanted...lol.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
I am not a big fan of the 80's music. My style of music is anything before the 60's. I cant stand most of the music these days, most of it is a couple words then chorus, couple words and chorus then chorus repeat and a couple more words and chorus then its done. The good old music told stories that you could relate to.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:55:16 PM »
I am not a big fan of the 80's music. My style of music is anything before the 60's. I cant stand most of the music these days, most of it is a couple words then chorus, couple words and chorus then chorus repeat and a couple more words and chorus then its done. The good old music told stories that you could relate to.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »

Out of the mouths of babes ...     ::)

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
 O0

Be afraid...be very afraid :D

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »
Really! Who can listen to A Flock of Seagulls and not fall in love!

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
Really! Who can listen to A Flock of Seagulls and not fall in love!

:D:D

OMG, what were they thinking when they had their hair styled??

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »
Haha. Most of the music from the 80's I have heard is from the corny 80's movies. I do like the sound track from Top Gun but the other stuff is just not my style. Maybe if I was raised listening to it it would different but such is life

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »
Haha. Most of the music from the 80's I have heard is from the corny 80's movies. I do like the sound track from Top Gun but the other stuff is just not my style. Maybe if I was raised listening to it it would different but such is life

More 80's movies with tons of 80's music: Caddyshack, Blues Brothers, Xanadu, Fame, American Pop, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Pink Floyd The Wall, The Last American Virgin, Eddie & The Cruisers, Flashdance, Reckless, Breakin', Footloose, Ghostbusters, Karate Kid, Streets of Fire, Sixteen Candles, Vision Quest, Desperately Seeking Susan, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Weird Science, About Last Night, Running Scared, Pretty In Pink, Beverly Hills Cop, Dirty Dancing, Bright Lights Big City, Purple Rain, Batman...just to name a few.  ;)

See, he ^ is someone else with pure class running through his veins :D

The Breakfast Club has to be my favourite of all of those.