Author Topic: A question about Merkur razors  (Read 13679 times)

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
A question about Merkur razors
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:01:54 PM »
Last night, I watched a guy on YouTube shaving his head. He was using a Merkur razor, and all was going fabulously well until he cut his head twice. Up until this point, his head was looking amazing, but then it all turned into the Texas chainsaw massacre, apart from the fact he was in Denmark.

I've been thinking about buying this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merkur-38C-HD-BLACK-Handle-Safety-Razor-/120774277212?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item1c1eb5385c

I have never used this type of razor before. The only time I ever got close to anything like this was when I was in Vegas last year, I went to The Art of Shaving, and a guy used a straight/cutthroat razor on my head, and I sat there while he was doing it, wondering why I hadnt bothered to update my will.

What would be my reason for buying that razor on eBay?

Firstly, is that a DE razor? Secondly, what exactly IS a DE razor? What does 'double edged' actually mean? Thirdly, and generally speaking, is it going to give me a better/more enjoyable shave than a Fusion/ProGlide/Hydro 5/etc?

I like the look of it, and I like the idea of it, but I dont know enough about them to make an informed decision. I'm prepared for a little blood, but is a bleeding head going to be worth it in the long term?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: A question about Merkur razors
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »
Firstly, is that a DE razor? Secondly, what exactly IS a DE razor? What does 'double edged' actually mean? Thirdly, and generally speaking, is it going to give me a better/more enjoyable shave than a Fusion/ProGlide/Hydro 5/etc?
Double edged razors, as opposed to single edged--in days of old, a long, long time ago, a razor blade lasted one (1) shave.  They had "injector blades" single edged devices about an inch long and 1/2 inch in width that you'd slide into a hand designed to hold it.  After lathering you shaved.  Then double edged came along, same basic size but both long sides were sharpened and there was a kind of a long hole that ran through the middle--that was placed in a handle and the top screwed on or in a fancy variety the handle turned and two sides of a "trap door" closed down exposing only the two sharpened edges.  --Obviously I was fascinated by my Father's shaving routine.  Then you shaved with the device.  It made amazing sounds.  But when a little peach fuzz came along and I tried it--BLOODY SACRIFICE.  Gramps on the other hand had a neck slitter--did or could do double duty to slaughter chickens at the ranch.  Fortunately for me cartridge razors came out by the time it was necessary to clean up my act.  So I never learned how to use those devices.
If you aren't subject to uncontrolled bleeding, and have a syptic pencil and lots of dabs of tissue or toilet tissue handy, try it.  I'll only keep the memories thank you very much.
One bit of my past though.  I was traveling in Europe after graduation and wound up in Barcelona, but somewhere I'd lost my razor.  This was the Old Days--El Cauldio was in power and American imports were super expensive.  I knew I could save a lot of money if I waited to get back to France to buy a replacement.  But I was looking pretty ragged.  There was a barber shop near my  hotel near the Ramblas and I walked in and with some really super rudimentary Spanish left over from high school, got it across that I needed the obvious--a shave--I still had respectible hair although a hole had already begun.  So I laid back in the chair and was rubbed, massaged and steam toweled on my face for a good while--then oiled, lathered.  Totally relaxed at that point, I was able to resist running when he pulls out a throat slitter.  Well long story short--never to this day have I ever had a shave like that, absolutely never.  After, with all the finishing touches, my friends and I went out on the Ramblas and enjoyed the tapas and vino.  Watched the folks at their evening best then dined at 10:30p or so.  I have returned to Barcelona, but for one reason or another I've never had the opportunity to return to that barber shop--someday, someday--if the Good Lord spares me and grants me enough time I will. 

Slynito

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
I've used them all over the years and I don't think you'll ever find a double edge or straight razor to beat the close shave, safety and economy of a Fusion, Hydro5 or Proglide, etc. O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »
Economy?????!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me....... the cost of Fusion cartridges sent me away.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
Was it this one?

That might of been his head shave video using a feather straight razor, or his first video shaving with a merkur futur. Here are some wetshaving/de links. Shaving with a DE razor is all about technique and preparation. Here are some websites that can help you better understand it if you wish to give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy
http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
http://mantic59.blogspot.com/
http://www.shavenation.com/

You can also find products on Amazon.com as well. Getting nics every once and a while is a part of life. I shave my head with a merkur futur and I get a bbs head shave with it.

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
Economy?????!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me....... the cost of Fusion cartridges sent me away.

I was paying upwards of seventeen dollars for bad razor burn on my neck, a crappy shave that hurt like hell, a razor that was done after three shaves and not want to shave for weeks on end.

The initial investment is a bit expensive compared to TFBTD, but the the blades themselves are cheap and vanderhagen shaving soap is less than five dollars pure puck and works great imho.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
Getting nics every once and a while is a part of life.

Not my life, thank you very much.   ;D

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
Getting nics every once and a while is a part of life.

Not my life, thank you very much.   ;D

:px

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
Was it this one?

That might of been his head shave video using a feather straight razor, or his first video shaving with a merkur futur. Here are some wetshaving/de links. Shaving with a DE razor is all about technique and preparation. Here are some websites that can help you better understand it if you wish to give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy
http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
http://mantic59.blogspot.com/
http://www.shavenation.com/

You can also find products on Amazon.com as well. Getting nics every once and a while is a part of life. I shave my head with a merkur futur and I get a bbs head shave with it.

Whatever works for you, but my thoughts are that there are reasons that these items have become obsolete.

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »
Whatever works for you, but my thoughts are that there are reasons that these items have become obsolete.

[/quote]

I don't think they ever became obsolete. I think a couple of things happened. Some marketing genius came up with the disposable razor/cartridge paradigm and offered the handle itself at an inexpensive price, while sticking the consumer by charging a large sum of money for the replacement cartridges. Its the same thing they did with Printers. Sell you the printer for a cheap price and make their money off of the ink cartridges.

I get great shaves with an old school DE razor. Much better than The Five Bladed Torture Device (TFBTD.) You can find a lot of the old school safety on Ebay that are in great shape and still work albeit with some cosmetic defects. I hear guys say they are still using their grandads Gillette 1959 fatboy and other original safety razors to this day. They never became obsolete. Corporations like making as much money as they can and most of them will do it by screwing the public. Ask yourself-how much does it cost to make 4 fusion razors, put them in a plastic case and box them up? Its not fifteen dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_razor#3-_and_4-blade_cartridges_introduced
Here is an article which better explains what I am trying to say. http://www.classicshaving.com/articles/article/590351/5693.htm

For the record I am not knocking what others use to groom themselves. I just found what works for me, and will recommend it. So please don't take what I am posting as an attack or criticism. Each to their own. Peace.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:45:01 PM by Grizzly907 »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »

I don't think they ever became obsolete. I think a couple of things happened. Some marketing genius came up with the disposable razor/cartridge paradigm and offered the handle itself at an inexpensive price, while sticking the consumer by charging a large sum of money for the replacement cartridges. Its the same thing they did with Printers. Sell you the printer for a cheap price and make their money off of the ink cartridges.

I get great shaves with an old school DE razor. Much better than The Five Bladed Torture Device (TFBTD.) You can find a lot of the old school safety on Ebay that are in great shape and still work albeit with some cosmetic defects. I hear guys say they are still using their grandads Gillette 1959 fatboy and other original safety razors to this day. They never became obsolete. Corporations like making as much money as they can and most of them will do it by screwing the public. Ask yourself-how much does it cost to make 4 fusion razors, put them in a plastic case and box them up? Its not fifteen dollars.

[/quote]
If it floats your boat--have at it. 

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »

If it floats your boat--have at it. 
[/quote]
I concur.

Slynito

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »
I was issued one of those Gillette Adjustable razors with the micrometer knob in Boot Camp. It was an upgrade from the one I was handed down from my Daddy. Ain't no double edge floatin' my boat no more...

>:D

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
I was issued one of those Gillette Adjustable razors with the micrometer knob in Boot Camp. It was an upgrade from the one I was handed down from my Daddy. Ain't no double edge floatin' my boat no more...

>:D
Micrometer Knob?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »

For the record I am not knocking what others use to groom themselves. I just found what works for me, and will recommend it. So please don't take what I am posting as an attack or criticism. Each to their own. Peace.

I'm not taking it as an attack or criticism at all.  As we said before, whatever works.

Enter your email address: