Author Topic: Disadvantage -Mosquitoes  (Read 12221 times)

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
Disadvantage -Mosquitoes
« on: April 23, 2007, 07:16:12 AM »
Yes I got my first mosquitoe bit yesterday. A true sign of warmer weather. Of course I get it right on the top of my head so it looks like I was hit with a baseball. Besides wearing a hat, are there any good methods to keeping those varmints off you noggin?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Disadvantage -Mosquitoes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:49:21 AM »
That little varmint must've felt like he was atop the north pole, man....no landscape for MILES!!!  :*))

I would imagine OFF or other standard bug repellent would work.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »
Yes I got my first mosquitoe bit yesterday. A true sign of warmer weather. Of course I get it right on the top of my head so it looks like I was hit with a baseball. Besides wearing a hat, are there any good methods to keeping those varmints off you noggin?

If you want something with no Deet in it, Avon's Skin so Soft works pretty well at repelling a lot of different bugs.  We use it in the Upper Pennisula and the bugs there are big enough to carry you off.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

jusbnme

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:16:40 AM »
I know this sounds crazy but it really does work.  I guess you can call it a "home remedy."  It's for people that don't want to use things with chemicals.  Mosquitoes hate the smell of lemons.  So if you get a little squirt of lemon juice and pat a little on your wrists and a little on your shirt collar it should keep them away.  Another thing is to take a laundry dryer sheet and rub it on your clothing.  Supposedly they hate the smell of that also.  When I first heard of these two methods I thought they sounded crazy.  So being the "big dork" that I am I did a little experiment.  I rubbed a dryer sheet on my shirt and patted a little lemon juice on my arms and went outside with my wife.  My wife was getting ate up and I didn't even have one bite.  So I guess it works. 

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:58:11 PM »
Paul knows his stuff ... we use Skin So Soft down here in the south too
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 02:54:13 PM »
I know a lot of hunters that keep Skin so Soft in their bags.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 08:53:38 PM »
I know this sounds crazy but it really does work.  I guess you can call it a "home remedy."  It's for people that don't want to use things with chemicals.  Mosquitoes hate the smell of lemons.  So if you get a little squirt of lemon juice and pat a little on your wrists and a little on your shirt collar it should keep them away.  Another thing is to take a laundry dryer sheet and rub it on your clothing.  Supposedly they hate the smell of that also.  When I first heard of these two methods I thought they sounded crazy.  So being the "big dork" that I am I did a little experiment.  I rubbed a dryer sheet on my shirt and patted a little lemon juice on my arms and went outside with my wife.  My wife was getting ate up and I didn't even have one bite.  So I guess it works. 
Nothin' like using your significant other as the Control in any experiment!  ;D 
I always find it nice to light one of those citronella candles out on my Balcony when I know I am going to be partyin'/Smokin'/Drinkin' that night.  Those work great!
Peace

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 10:42:50 AM »
I've used Skin so Soft with some success, but I used some DeepWoods Off this past week and it seemed to work good.  I'd recommend try one of those.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »
I've used Skin so Soft with some success, but I used some DeepWoods Off this past week and it seemed to work good.  I'd recommend try one of those.
Good Question: is it Deet Free?
Peace

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 03:16:20 PM »
Good Question: is it Deet Free?

Looks like it's 25% Deet.  http://www.offprotects.com/insect-bites/
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 03:19:43 PM »
Does rubing ponopine work? :*))
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline MR. CLEAN

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 03:24:35 PM »

Dude, I am going to give the lemon Scent a go... I mean, My Call Sign is Mr. Clean
Peace

jusbnme

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 03:59:22 AM »

Dude, I am going to give the lemon Scent a go... I mean, My Call Sign is Mr. Clean

Yeah, why not?  You might as well add that "fresh lemon scent" to your call name.   ;D

jusbnme

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 03:59:53 AM »
Does rubing ponopine work? :*))

Who knows?  Let me know when you try it.   ;D :D ;D

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »
I'm going camping next week, so I bought the OFF with DEET.

But I needed something to put on the head when I start going to BBQs.  The dryer sheet was not a good idea becuase I broke out like I was stung by 148,357 bees.  But I don't think I got any 'skeeter bites  :XX

Next up, lemon juice. I'll let you know.