Author Topic: What do YOU drive?  (Read 81127 times)

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: What do YOU drive?
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 04:31:31 AM »
I drive a 2010 Ford FG XR6......I call it Henry  O0

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2012, 05:54:42 AM »
Giving your vehicles guys names must be a "down under" thing ;D ;D Here in America we give our vehicles (as well as our guns) girls names. My truck is named Francesca, my car is named Lucinda, and just for kicks, my gun is named Renee'  ;D ;D
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2012, 06:00:18 AM »
How things change. Last April a tornado went down my street and took most of my house and the contents. While it left my car and my bike, it left them in pieces; I found one of two BMW opposing heads in a neighbors pool. Spring forward, new house-it had to be torn down and rebuilt from the basement up and also new transportation. During the interval that the insurance company was feeding, watering and lodging me-Thank You Marriott!-they also provided a car. That's when I found Enterprise Car Rental and the friendly guys there. They called around and got a Jeep Liberty that accommodated my height and was actually comfortable to drive. I still have it although I'm offered a newer, 2013 version. Of course I'm now paying for it-Chubb's lagesse wouldn't go on forever-but if it's  not an economy measure there are advantages. If I'm gone for a few days or weeks, I turn it in and get a new one when I return. I pay no lease, no payments, no down payments, they handle all the routine maintenance and even provide me with a membership in AAA. It's about $820.00 per month which, as I said is no economy but then think of what I'm not paying.I had the insurance built in my homeowner's policy and, because of discounts etc, that costs about $125.00 per month. Gas is currently about $2.98 a gallon and I'd have to pay that with whatever I had. The current iteration is navy blue-Ol' Gray got mashed in a parking lot-and I don't call it anything. Although I've now had it to the point that, were I to return it on a full time basis I'd feel vaguely sad, like parting from an old girl friend; It never was going anywhere but there was still all that history...

This may seem really stupid but...my accountant gave me the happy news that almost all of what I pay is deductible. Also, and whenever I want, I can "test drive" anything they have in their fleet. Iinitially I'd thought about doing that to "find" a new car. And there's this, in the not too distant future the local PD and the Highway Patrol aren't going to have any used Crown Vics with the Interceptor engine to sell. For the ultimate in comfort and long distance driving, you really can't do much better. (The Jeep has one almost fatal flaw-here in Kansas the short wheel base, high profile makes it tricky to drive in very high winds which are a constant of life here. Anything above 30 to 40 mph, and straight from the Souith or the North and I have to cling to the wheel like grim death. Speeds are very high on our local expressways so this becomes a serious considertation. Also, being passed by an eighteen wheeler doing 80 creates a number of vortices that would fascinate aeronautical engineers. It's actually easier to handle this configuration on my bike.)

It occurs to me that some may find my insurance very inexpensive. That's because I don't own the car, they're insuring only liability and some collision, a thing already psrtly covered by my household insurance. I also have other insurance policies wth the carrier and that, too, was factored into the price. As to the low gas....just lucky I guess, as recently as five months ago it was $3.99....

And-lengthily-that's what I drive and why......

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »
We have had many Jeeps and many Cadillacs - - -over the years  - -This is my 4th Red Cadillac  - -the others were dark blue  - -

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
I drive a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. I like the high seat backs and the leg room. I also like the large storage space in the back.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
Giving your vehicles guys names must be a "down under" thing

I don't think it is, I just did it because everyone else gives them girls names, and it just doesn't seem like a girl car... I would never hurt a woman, but sometimes I push Dave pretty hard and don't have to feel bad about it!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2012, 06:48:16 PM »
"girl names" must be a regional thing.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
Cadillac   called "Cash"
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2012, 02:35:34 AM »
I don't have a name for my Ford Courier, but it just wouldn't seem fitting to call it a girls name... now I think about it, Bruce might be a very fitting name for my ute.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2012, 04:40:34 AM »
Do it! Bruce is a good name for anything!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
Think I will give my next TRUCK a guy's name..... In other news, I just petitioned the vehicle powers to change my truck's name from Francesca to Francisco... ;D
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
 O0 :*))
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »
Think I will give my next TRUCK a guy's name..... In other news, I just petitioned the vehicle powers to change my truck's name from Francesca to Francisco... ;D

I hope the surgery went well!  ;)

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2012, 05:31:09 PM »

I have seen those nuts hanging from a trailer hitch  :*))
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »

I have seen those nuts hanging from a trailer hitch  :*))

I've seen quite a few 4x4's and utes with them... they are always blue too hahaha