Author Topic: Help my scalp is full of red spots after a a few days :(  (Read 22841 times)

Offline paragon

• Sly Jr.
Help my scalp is full of red spots after a a few days :(
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
This is my 8th day since i started shaving but after the first 4-5 days i started getting red spots just like acne. I think it first started when i used baby oil after shower. I used it only once but after 4 days the spots are not going away... I look terribly and feel embarrassed among people.

What can I do with this?

Here are some pictures:

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Help my scalp is full of red spots after a a few days :(
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
I had the same symptoms when I started shaving.  It isn't uncommon.  Your scalp is not used to being shaved, so it's sensitive.  Here are some tips to help you through this.  1) Prepare your head very well before shaving, i.e., wash it, make sure the skin is wet and the hair is very moist.  2) use a good cream (I use HeadSlick) and a sharp blade so you aren't tugging at the hair.  3) try shaving only with the grain for several days so your scalp toughens up.  4) rinse well with cold water and apply an astringent like witch hazel or ClearHead.  This last step is necessary to close the pores and the astringent helps protect any minor nicks from infections. 

The bumps can be embarrassing, but they will go away.  In the meantime, don't give up on the sly look!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »
Try some Witch Hazel. I have a mix that I make for myself, mainly WH. I add pure Aloe Gel just until it starts to thicken up a bit and then I add Tea Tree Oil, the real stuff-not just the fragrance, until I can smell it in the mix. WH is an astringent which closes up the pores a bit and tightens the skin, the Aloe is a healing agent for the skin and the Tea Tree Oil is an antiseptic. I put this on after every shave. I have found that the baby oil contributes to oiliness of the scalp and my scalp starts to get oily not too long after shaving, anyway. Too much oil can contribute to pimples for me.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline paragon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
I've just done a thorough cleaning procedure, starting with a cleaning scrub, some deep face wash gel and some alcohol tonic to finish.
The thing is, the first 4 days i didn't have these... and it's not just the shaved part, it's kind of like getting acne all over. I'm kind of sure it was the baby oil that clogged up my pores and did this, I didn't have these problems originally.

I'll ask a pharmacist friend what are the things you wrote or if we have something similar here (Europe).
In the mean while... should i continue shaving? Every day? Every other day? Should I stop for 1-2-3-4 days?
It's not razor burn but I don't know what's best until these acne type stuff disappear.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
I'd suggest shaving every other day and see if that helps.  I'd stop using the baby oil also.  It might be the cause. 

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »
I have had the same issue. I just started using an astringent. It seems to help but it will take time. Don't give up.
AKA Gimpy

Offline paragon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:20:34 AM »
Ok the pimples are almost gone after a week of using the antibiotics liquid the dermatologist gave me.
BUT I still have a large red spot on the back of my neck and don't know what it is and it doesn't want to go away. It's not a pimple it's like a large spot. I have only one picture where it's almost invisible but the rest of the time it's more red.
It's not painful or anything... I don't know if it's from shaving or not. Maybe it was a razor burn at first and after shaving constantly i'm stuck with it?

Here's the one where it's almost invisible:

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
It might be a birthmark.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I see things like that on the backs of bald heads all the time -- usually when they're sitting right in front of me on the train or standing right in front of me in the elevator.  They're generally not noticeable except at very close range.

Offline DaleBlankenship

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »
Yeah that just looks like a birthmark... at least it's not as dark and the small one on the side of my head.

I used to get red bumps like that for the first few months I shaved, but I hardly ever get them anymore.  I also have very sensitive skin, so I think it took longer for my head to get used to it.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
Try an exfoliator like St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I use the medicated Walmart version after shaving and, for some reason, it calms my scalp down if there is any irritation.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline paragon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »
Well I've waited for the third day to shave, just to be sure that it's not irritation. The thing is still there and it is quite big and noticeable in live.
So I guess i'm stuck with that :(

Maybe if I get more tan on the noggin it won't be that noticeable.

Offline paragon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »
Try an exfoliator like St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I use the medicated Walmart version after shaving and, for some reason, it calms my scalp down if there is any irritation.

I do use some skin rub stuff originally made for the face and I like it too. Feels so fresh after that :)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 03:19:41 PM »
The thing is still there and it is quite big and noticeable in live.
So I guess i'm stuck with that :(
Excuse me for askiing but do you stand in lines a lot?  That's the only way I can think that it is so noticeable.  I can't think of the last time anyone I know talked with me looking at the back of my head-- :/O :/O :/O 

Offline paragon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 05:09:51 AM »
OK, ok, you got me on that one :) But i do have many people seeing by back for hours in the church and the university.

Anyway, I won't let this ruin the Sly. It's been 3 weeks and I'm starting to like the sly look in the mirror  8)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 06:55:22 AM »
But i do have many people seeing by back for hours in the church and the university.
Well, whether in church or university in all probablity they're not worshiping or studying your head. ;)  It just isn't important.