Author Topic: Mint.com  (Read 3541 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Mint.com
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:01:03 AM »
Has anyone tried Mint.com. What are your thoughts on it? I'm thinking of using it but wanted to see what people thought about it before setting it up.

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Mint.com
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »
I don't see any particular advantage to mint.com over Quicken, that I already use for check writing and record keeping--in fact Quicken has more capabilities than I care to use right now.  I'm always concerned that although "secure" it could present a target rich site for hackers to work on.  Having experienced one "theft" vicariously through my daughter's information getting out I never want to go through that again.  And yes, that experience made me more than a little paranoid about financial information out there in cyber land.  Also, I'd have to really read the details very closely to see what "sales" or other use of my information--even if properly redacted or  "blacked out", could be made.  Color me a skeptic.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »
Would have to agree with Saint.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:41:57 PM »
Most of my friends use Mint over Quicken.  I've heard it's more about the ease of use and the fact that if you use Quicken and your computer goes on the fritz, then you could lose all of your data. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »
I'm so completely *not* down with keeping track of my finances online.  I won't use Quicken either (had a bad experience with a fairly recent version that did not seem to know how to add to save its life!).

I will stick with Excel, thank you (and regular system backups!)
MikeC

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
I'm so completely *not* down with keeping track of my finances online.  I won't use Quicken either (had a bad experience with a fairly recent version that did not seem to know how to add to save its life!).

I will stick with Excel, thank you (and regular system backups!)

Ditto! I could never find a program or system that did what I wanted it to so I made my own.

Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure

Slynito

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »
I have a Quicken program on my HD that I juggle my checking account with...I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but never will I be puttin' it on the Net.

:-X

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
Just an FYI, nearly every bank in the United States already puts your information on the net through Online Banking.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
Just an FYI, nearly every bank in the United States already puts your information on the net through Online Banking.
Yes, but at each individual institution with separate security systems/practices. If you have all of your accounts tied into Mint (which they suggest/recommend) it would only take one hit to get all your financial data. I just don't want to have all my eggs in one basket.

Not to hijack this thread (too late :) ) but this will be my 1,000th post. I hope that my comments have been helpful over the years. I plan to be around here for many thousands more (comments, not years).   O0

Slynito

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »
1,000 posts, wow!

P@^ P@^ P@^ P@^

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Not to hijack this thread (too late :) ) but this will be my 1,000th post. I hope that my comments have been helpful over the years. I plan to be around here for many thousands more (comments, not years).   O0
Congrats--you were one of the first to welcome me here in 2007, thanks again, and of course your posts are valued and helpful. O0

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
Has anyone tried Mint.com. What are your thoughts on it? I'm thinking of using it but wanted to see what people thought about it before setting it up.

I'm bumping this since it's been a while and we have many new members. I'm seriously considering this now. I need more access to be able to enter my purchases and thus keep a better grasp on my balance. This seems like it will fit the bill.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »
I have no experience with Mint.

I've been happily using Quicken since the early 90s. Happily, until the 2013 update; most is fine but the budgeting/reporting functions are badly broken. 10 "corrective updates" have been released to date ...

It wasn't difficult to move budgeting to Excel until Quicken is fixed.

I'd investigate moving to Mint (as I've heard good things) but I figure moving 20 years of financial history to a new system is sure to reveal nightmares I don't care to confront.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »
I'm going to do some more research on it this weekend. I love my setup but it is totally Excel based. So, I am looking for something with better on-the-go access so I am be more up-to-date on my finances.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
Bank of New York/Mellon Trust. What they cannot do I probably don't need done.