Author Topic: Together We Served for Marines and Navy  (Read 18081 times)

KALBO

Together We Served for Marines and Navy
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:03:51 AM »

#a^3

Many of you I'm guessing already know about http://www.togetherweserved.com but I wanted to mention it since so many veterans and retired military continue to join SBG and may not of heard of it.

Pre-internet, many of us lost contact with fellow military members that we wanted to stay in touch with.  Since I logged into TWS, people have found me or I them from each of my previous commands...all the way back to bootcamp(17 years ago)!!!  Initially I didn't think I would put too much effort into using the site, since I put way too much time into my MySpace page, but am definately reconsidering that now...

In short you could compare it to MySpace, for the Navy and Marines, without any advertising(for now...lol).  It is free and you get a full membership for at least 6 months I believe...after that you go down to the free basic plan with options to pay for the full plan or recruit(you get upgraded to the full membership for a certain period of time for every 5 people you invite that accepts).

The last perk I've noticed, is that most commands allow you to access it, unlike MySpace, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, etc...that are typically blocked.

With all the networking we do here, this could be another tool in your tool bag if you are not currently utilizing it...

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Together We Served for Marines and Navy
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:47:15 PM »
Great info KaLbO, knew absolutely nothing about it.  In  the archaic Marine Corps system, to locate is a big pain, requiring tons of old info and self addressed envelopes, with no knowledge if you'll get a reply.  Can't wait to try this out.  Thanks a lot
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 11:12:40 PM »
Thanks for the info... I signed up and looked around but it started to bring back too many old memories better forgotten.  I'll try again some other time.   O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »
thanx kalbo! great site  O0
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline NAVRN2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:15:26 AM »
AWESOME site!!! Someone at work invited me.  Great!!  I can be found PUTNEY.

KALBO

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:30:21 PM »
AWESOME site!!! Someone at work invited me.  Great!!  I can be found PUTNEY.
Gotcha!  8)

Offline TXFergie

• Sly Jr.
  • TXFergie on Day two of being shorn
    • TXFergie's MySpace Page!!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »
I just checked out the website. Any news on if there was going to be an Army or Air Force section as well??

KALBO

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 06:22:46 AM »
I just checked out the website. Any news on if there was going to be an Army or Air Force section as well??
Unsure, I haven't seen any news from TWS regarding expansion, but originally it was just a site for Marines...now the Navy has been added fairly recently.  Recommend you contact them: admin@navy.togetherweserved.com

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 04:58:52 AM »
Great find... Only problem I had was when i put in my boot camp Platoon number and Graduation year... is listed me in the WRONG company!!  :Xo!

It also does lot have the Sea Service Deployment ribbon as a choice, and my MOS number is incorrect... minor gripes, but i'll survive

KALBO

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »
Just noticed an update today on TWS...they have added the Air Force!

http://www.togetherweserved.com/

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 11:46:31 AM »
Kewl to hear another group can find old buds.  Thanks again, TWS not only hooked me up with an old Marine buddy, but put me in contact with my godson (his son) who I hadn't seen in 15 years. O0 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »
Kewl to hear another group can find old buds.  Thanks again, TWS not only hooked me up with an old Marine buddy, but put me in contact with my godson (his son) who I hadn't seen in 15 years. O0 

That's awesome to hear Paul
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »
Thanks PP.  Was in kindergarten when last saw him, now track star for southern cal

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 12:30:21 PM »
Thanks PP.  Was in kindergarten when last saw him, now track star for southern cal

That's incredible, bet you and his dad are real proud huh?
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »
Just noticed an update today on TWS...they have added the Air Force!

http://www.togetherweserved.com/

Its about time! :x! :x!