Author Topic: Newly bald, Reunion approaching...  (Read 10060 times)

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
Newly bald, Reunion approaching...
« on: October 06, 2006, 11:02:18 PM »
Hey guys,

Awesome site!  I was hoping to find a place like this and here it is.  Great job.

Anyway, here's my story.  I started losing my hair when I was 20.  Did the whole shave, gel, products, etc. to give the illusion of hair.  When I was losing the battle, I caved in and joined hair club.  It's hard for me to even write that sentence.  Well, this was a decision that would make me a prisoner to a hair piece for many years.

The other night, I said F-it, and I got my clippers out and shaved it as tight as possible.  Then, got the blade out and went the rest of the way.  Thank God, I finally had the balls to do this.  I still have that new car feeling where it's a surprise to me every time I pass a mirror, but I like it and I know it'll get even better the more used to it I get.

Now to the point, I'll be seeing many people I know for the first time as a bald guy.  And in a month I have a 10 year reunion.  My question is, how do you handle the comments from these people?  If someone makes the cue ball joke or any other obvious zinger.  I'm thinking it's all a matter of how you handle yourself, confidence, etc.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Newly bald, Reunion approaching...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:55:39 AM »
Hey seanc7nyc,

First of all, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  I'm glad you like the site, but I'm more glad that you're embracing your baldness.  What happened in the past is just a learning experience to give you confidence in the present and springboard you into the future.

Off to the 10 year reunion in a month, eh?  Well, it will be a blast!  I had my 10 year just one year ago and it was also the first time that the majority of my old friends and classmates saw me with my bald look.  Now,I had the look for 2 years prior to going, so I had a deep rooted confidence in my bald look, but from reading this post I can see that you love your new look and you're happy you did this.  So, it sounds like you have the building blocks of confidence already.

I'm thinking it's all a matter of how you handle yourself, confidence, etc.

You're exactly right on this point.  I don't think you are going to have to worry about cue ball jokes or any other jokes for that matter.  I didn't get any jokes at my reunion and I rarely ever get them in general.  Usually if someone refers to me being bald they will say something like "Hey Mr. Clean" or "What's up skinhead?" but these are usually people that I know pretty well and I know they are kidding around.  I then usually wink at them and say something like "you like it, huh?" or if I'm in a fiesty mood I'll say "you're just jealous that I look so good!"

Just remember that most people are more worried how they look after 10 years and are afraid that people will judge them.  So, sit back, be confident, and enjoy the head rubs!

Tyler
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 03:40:16 PM »
You're on the right track, and besides, if anyone flips you crap, remember, it's just like bullies growing up, shrug it off. The girls will probably be rubbing your head! (which rocks btw!! hehe) And for the record, thx fellas, 10-15 year reunion, lol waiting on my 20!!! DoH  hahaha    :P   Embrace your new look, I love mine, going on almost 20 years bald!
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 11:21:56 PM »
Thanks guys.  Saw some people for the first time since shaving tonight and it went great.   It's all about the confidence.  And mine is multiplying by the day.

Thanks for the welcome, tyler!  Great site!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 11:25:34 PM »
Glad your first couple of bald days are going well!  I'm sure you'll have many more!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:52:44 PM »
There are a couple of ways you can handle a reunion depending on who asks you what. Since you are now part of the brotherhood, I will share some time honored responses to these questions comments.

Question #1
Wow I didn't recognize you without hair.

Answer:
I didn't recongnize you with all that extra weight (bonus points if its a woman)

Comment #1
You look so different without hair.

Answer:
You look so different without the quaterback's c#%K in your mouth. (bonus points if its a guy)

Offline Noner

• Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Nonerville
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 03:01:09 PM »
Question #2
(FROM WOMAN) Oh My god, where did your hair  go

Answer:
Apparently above your lip.

Comment #2
(FROM WOMAN) I could never do something like that

Answer:
I bet thats something you rarely hear yourself say.

BaldRob

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 03:09:04 PM »
LMAO @ Noner...  ;D

Offline Noner

• Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Nonerville
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 03:10:16 PM »
OK I'm riffing so now here's a few if the girl is hot and she's diggin you.

Question #1
(FROM WOMAN) Can I rub it?

Answer
If you can get past my zipper

Comment #1
(FROM WOMAN) Wow, that's smooth

Answer
And so is my head

OK, I'm keeping these pretty clean but we can go on from there if anyone else wants to.

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 09:00:31 PM »
Haha, keep 'em coming.

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 07:59:43 AM »
lmao @ Noner  great stuff thx for sharing a lil of your craft bro! hehe
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 06:01:14 PM »
That's hilarious Noner!!!

Keep 'em coming!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 08:27:23 PM »
Love it!  Too funny!! :D ;D

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
This was just what I needed to hear. The chair of my department lost her father three days ago and the wake is tomorrow. Even though I am on sabbatical, I'm obliged to go. It will be my debut as a bald pate in front of my colleagues. I had hoped to delay it until my return to full-time teaching in mid-January. So thanks, guys, for such upbeat and  reactions. Prof Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »
***  I'd like to report that I had my reunion last weekend and it went great! ***

Leading up to the reunion I'd had several succesful test runs with friends, family and colleagues.  And by the time this weekend rolled around, I was a firestorm of confidence.  It's amazing how at public events and almost anywhere, people are 95% concerned about their own appearance. 

I'm a happy person, I'm succesful and confident and that's how I carried myself.  When I wrote the original post on this thread I was new to the bald world, scared and having a moment of self doubt.  Thanks for the support and noner's jokes, it really cheered me up.

The truth is, most people respect you for reclaiming control over your head.  There were lots of funny stories, but the most awkward moment was a drunken former female classmate of mine rubbing my head and telling her balding husband.. "(slurring)you need grow some f-ing balls and shave your head like Sean."  Then, I had to console this guy I just met and tell him he looked great.  Only at reunions.

But thanks everyone.