Author Topic: Wearing a hair piece and sick of it.  (Read 3251 times)

Offline HIKER48

• Sly Guy in Training
Wearing a hair piece and sick of it.
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »
I have been wearing a hair piece for close to 20 years and cant deal with it anymore. I am extremely active and now its getting  in the way. Not to mention its constantly having problems and probably most people know anyway. But Don't have the guts to take it off.

Need some help...

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Wearing a hair piece and sick of it.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »
As the Nike campaign says...

JUST DO IT.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline HIKER48

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »
Just afraid of how people will react to me.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:24:32 PM »
There are a number of guys who walked the exact same path as you are now. Search the forum and you will find tale after tale.

Almost universally after taking the plunge, the results are "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

Sure it's a big step, and scary for that. But rest assured that you are not the only one who has successfully trodden this path.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »
Hi there, HIKER38. Welcome to the forum. There are a ton of folks on the forum who have been EXACTLY where you are right now. Take a few minutes and browse through the various sub-forums. Looking at, and reading about the total transformations undergone by some of the guys who where previously burdened with (and dominated by) their hairpieces will give you all the encouragement you could hope for.

People's reaction to your new look will invariably be almost universally positive.

So, as Schro said .....

8)
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Online buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »
Early on I told my story of having hair down to my shoulder blades one day and a slick dome the next. A woman I had known for a couple of years, who had only known me with long hair, saw me the day after I shaved and asked me if I had lost weight.
My guess is that a lot of people will know that there's something different about you. They just won't be able to put their finger on it.
Something else to remember is that when all is said and done this is just a haircut, nothing more. It is neither a permanent nor a cataclysmic change unless you make it so.
Keep smilin'!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Hiker!!

I guy that works down the hall from me wore a rug for years. Not only did everyone know, everyone teased about it behind his back. I wore a tightly clipped horseshoe for about 4 years before I shaved my head. After I shaved my head I would see that guy in the hall occasionally and I could tell he wanted to talk to me but he never did.
About a year later I didn't see him for a while..... turned out he was on an extended vacation..... but when I did see him the rug was gone and his head was smooth and shiny. I didn't say a word but just looked at him and smiled as he passed... he just smiled and nodded.
Nobody has made fun of him since and EVERYONE said how much better he looked with the smooth head.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
Like a bandaid, the faster you take it off the less it will hurt.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »
Like a bandaid, the faster you take it off the less it will hurt.
Classic!

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:52 AM »
Ok, a few things,

First, WELCOME! 

Second, Hairpieces were "in" 20 years ago, now sly is "in" and look how many people are BBC (Bald by choice)

Third: Try the 30 day rule, I really doubt you will regret it during that time you can say lots of fun stuff when looked at funny or asked about it, like "after 20 years it had to go for a detail and it'll be back soon" or "insert any rug joke here"

Fourth: as my grandma taught me  "The day you don't give a sh*t about what others think is the day you become an adult"

Fifth: you won't always wonder if people are snickering and talking behind your back, I've found (in my two weeks of being sly) that people will much faster give you their opinions when they see sly for the first time, and most of mine have been positive)

Lets see a pic of yourself, with and without the piece. (that way we can snicker too) *refer to #4 now

Good luck and again, WELCOME!
AKA Gimpy