Poll

Where did the bald gene come from in your family?

Paternal Grandfather
10 (25.6%)
Maternal Grandfather
14 (35.9%)
Both were bald
4 (10.3%)
Neither were bald
11 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Genetics and MPB  (Read 7027 times)

Offline InProgress

• Sly Jr.
Re: Genetics and MPB
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »
There's an assumption in the survey that genes for baldness come from men (grandfathers, not grandmothers). This can't be strictly true because then we would *only* inherit baldness through our paternal line, which clearly isn't the case for many people here. Mother's side/father's side might be better choices.

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »
Neither father nor grandfather were bald. Don't remember my paternal grandfather.

BaldBradley

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 11:37:09 PM »
As far as I know there is nobody on my moms side of the family, I don't know my dad much and I don't know his family at all. I probably got it from him :(

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 12:27:01 AM »
As far as I know there is nobody on my moms side of the family, I don't know my dad much and I don't know his family at all. I probably got it from him :(
just another reason to dislike him.  :x!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline Mad Max

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
If I do lose my hair, it'll be because of my mom's side.  Her father and brother both lost their hair, though my uncle not quite to the extent of my grandpa.  The whole "hair loss comes from the mother's side" is BS.  My uncle is a prime example.  His maternal grandfather had a full head of hair until the day he went in the ground and no one else on my grandma's side lost their hair, yet my uncle did.  But, everyone on my maternal grandfather's side lost their hair.

The one thing I have going for me is everyone on my mom's side that did lose their hair, were all thin no later than 25.  Just about all showed signs by 21 or so.  It everything remains the same, then it looks like I'll be taking my dad's side in the hair department.

BaldBradley

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »
just another reason to dislike him.  :x!
Oh trust me I've got enough reasons already.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
Both grandfathers were bald.  My dad had quite thin hair but never totally lost his hair.  I have lost way more hair than he did by age 50.  But while I know that there is baldness in the family, I have not seen any cousins on my dad's side with thin or balding hair.  But my uncle on my mom's side had the monk's patch and another cousin on my mom's side is pretty bald.  He's a solid Norwood 6, which is what I seem to be approaching.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
Funny...how I look exactly like my mom's dad...except for one thing...his thick head of hair!!!

Enter your email address: