Author Topic: Which electric razor for closest dry-shave  (Read 12602 times)

Offline plunderbald

• Learning the way of Sly
Which electric razor for closest dry-shave
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »
Hello I'm looking to buy an electric razor for head-shaving and would appreciate any advice.  In particular I'm seeking the closest possible dry shave that can be obtained with a $140 limit on price.  (I wouldn't mind the option of using the razor in the shower, but it's not a priority.)  Thanks guys in advance.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:31:13 AM by plunderbald »

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
Re: Closest dry shave w/ electric razor
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
I've never gotten a super tight shave with an electric razor.  I don't know if it is possible.

Offline plunderbald

Re: Closest dry shave w/ electric razor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
I hear you, I don't expect to match the closeness of a regular razor.  Still I want the closest dry-shave possible with an electric (i.e., with a price limit of $140).  I recently bought a $40 Norelco with three heads from Target and it didn't cut very close.  The Panasonic 8023 was lauded for cutting close but it's no longer available and I'm not sure what it was replaced with.  Any more suggestions?

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
Re: Which electric razor for closest dry-shave
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »
For the price of about $30, you can't beat the Conair CleanHead.  It does not cut as close as a blade, but is is closer than my Norelco.  I don't have to worry about razor burn or cuts.

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:38 AM »
The Norelco doesn't show stubble but you still feel it.  I have a Remington that I bought @ Target for around $70. It has several interchangeable shaving heads with an extendable handle. The foil shaving head delivers a very close shave that leaves no stubble like a blade does. But you can tell it's doesn't get quite as close as a blade when the stubble regrows quicker. Pretty darn close for an electric though.

Offline Johnny Foster

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 12:15:38 AM »
Wow - got my new Panasonic ES LA63s today, tried it out dry, and it's really amazing !!

It seems to be true that you "get what you pay for" ; pretty pricey, but it's nice to spend some money on something, and have it work out great. Case in point - this Panasonic ES LA63s, the first time using it, gave me a razor-quality shave, no cream or oil - just alone, and with no cuts or irritation that I always had with the razor.

I'm very impressed, and can't wait to use it for 30 days ( as it recommends ) before it supposedly "gets good"... I can't imagine it doing much better than the first run through today, and it's nice to know I can shave without spending an hour in the shower anymore just to get a close shave on my head and face.

Highly recommended.   :@`

Offline plunderbald

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys--think I'll spring for the Panasonic!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
Check out the Panasonic Premium Store online. What they sell there is refurbished units which, somebody explained to me, is a new unit with all the bugs worked out. I bought my ES8243K there a couple of years ago at a substantial saving and it's still running strong.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 10:20:06 AM »
The big choice is deciding whether you want the look or the feel. To me, it's the feel so no electric razor will do but to others, and particularly those who feel stubble is a fashion and not a matter of forgetfulness, then it's the look.

Offline billyapd21

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »
The big choice is deciding whether you want the look or the feel. To me, it's the feel so no electric razor will do but to others, and particularly those who feel stubble is a fashion and not a matter of forgetfulness, then it's the look.

I also own the Panasonic ESLA63s and if it's the feel you are looking for you might might to give it a spin.  I use it with shaving oil and Shaving gel and I have absolutely zero stuble at all.  Feels like I just shaved with my fusion against the grain.  No kidding or exaggerating

Offline HighTopFade

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »
I'm giving this a bump because I use an electric razor. For me, it's the look rather than the feel. When I use a blade razor, I get unsightly and PAINFUL razor bumps on the nape of my neck. Electric razors do not cause irritation for whatever reason.

Anyways, my electric razor went out and I'm torn between these two -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Conair-Clean-Head/11050618

and this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Pivot-and-Flex-Rechargeable-Rotary-Shaver/14321480

What I need is a durable and efficient electric razor that workes wells for heads. It seems like the ConAir Clean Head would be a no brainer but I'm not entirely convinced that it would be durable... The Remmington looks plenty durable but it doesn't seem like it would suit shaving heads properly. Funny enough, the e-razor I used was actually a Remmington.

Thanks for your advice, guys!

Offline billyapd21

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
I'm giving this a bump because I use an electric razor. For me, it's the look rather than the feel. When I use a blade razor, I get unsightly and PAINFUL razor bumps on the nape of my neck. Electric razors do not cause irritation for whatever reason.

Anyways, my electric razor went out and I'm torn between these two -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Conair-Clean-Head/11050618

and this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Pivot-and-Flex-Rechargeable-Rotary-Shaver/14321480

What I need is a durable and efficient electric razor that workes wells for heads. It seems like the ConAir Clean Head would be a no brainer but I'm not entirely convinced that it would be durable... The Remmington looks plenty durable but it doesn't seem like it would suit shaving heads properly. Funny enough, the e-razor I used was actually a Remmington.

Thanks for your advice, guys!

Spend the extra and get the panasonic!  You won't regret it.  I know it sounds like a lot of money but I feel the Conair is cheap (I have one) and I don't think the rotary electrics do well on the head, though I haven't tried.  Good luck, and let us know has you make out.

Offline plunderbald

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »
Well I bought the Panasonic ESLA63 from the Panasonic Premium Store (based on Buddha's tip) and I've been using it for about a week now.  I highly recommend it for head shaving.  I've only used it dry, but I get a very close shave--not blade-close, but close to it.  Ten times better than the Norelco rotary (a $40 model) that I had a few weeks ago.

The only negative is that you have to make multiple passes to achieve this closeness, but that's no big deal when considering the final result.  Thanks again guys for all the information.

Offline Glen

• Sly Jr.
  • Better a bald head than no head at all...
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
I use the Philips SensoTouch 1150X from time to time and really like it.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:56 PM »
In a moment of panic, I noticed that both my face and my head needed attention, I zipped into a Walgreen's and bought a Braun pocket shaver that operates on two double A batteries. To my surprize, it did a more than credible job. It took a few swipes but, in the course of a ten minute drive, I arrived looking reasonably groomed-for five in the afternoon-and felt that it was fifteen dollars well spent. Three years later, I still keep it in my glove box and I've given two or three of them to friends who have joined the brotherhood of the bald.

Enter your email address: