Author Topic: Advice on home gyms  (Read 3860 times)

jusbnme

Advice on home gyms
« on: April 15, 2007, 08:38:15 AM »
What's up sly bros.?  I've been using a cheap utility bench and some dumb bells to workout for about the past 2 months.  I've noticed a little change in my waist line and other places but I feel like a may be hurting myself more than helping.  Especially where I have no clue about working out.  This is really my first time trying to get serious about working out due to trying to become a fireman.  I have done a lot of research on the web recently on home gyms and noticed that most reviews give a thumbs up to weight machines for safety and basic maintenance for the body.  Which is all I'm looking to do...I don't want to be "buff" or build to much muscle.  I just want to maintain and firm up what I have.  I read that the stackable home gym weight machines are supposed to give you better performance than a resistance home gym such as a bowfles or something like it.  Does anyone have an opinion, or good advice, on which brand or style of weight machine I should purchase? 

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Advice on home gyms
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 09:34:46 AM »
Do you remember from the mid-90's there was a home gym called the Healthrider? Well, we've had one since 1997 and we have moved twice and refuse to part with it. It uses your own body weight as resisitance and you pull on the handles and simultaneously push on the foot pedals. By changing you hand position, you can work biceps/triceps, and all upper body muscles. If you put the handle in the position closer to your seat, it becomes a pure lower body/ab workout. There's three height positions for increased intensity (I've never put it above the lowest setting and still get a pretty good workout). It is a great toning machine and you can get them cheap on craigslist or Ebay. If I haven't used it in a while, I'll get on it, go for 20 mins (changing hand and handle positions every 4 minutes....5 sets) and the next morning I'm pretty friggin' sore.

I'd consider one of these if you can find one. The don't take up a ton of space. Good Luck.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 10:42:06 AM »
My brother used to have a weight bench that had a leg machine and pull down bar attached.  It used stackable weights and was a great machine.  You may want to consider some adjustable dumbells as you can also get some great workouts with just dumbells.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 10:44:15 AM »
I've always been intrigued by the Bow Flex stuff....

Also been intrigued by the Total Gym endorsed by Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley...

But we belong to a very reasonably priced gym that's nearby so that's workin' just fine.

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:26:43 PM »
I had a Total Gym and loved it.  It comes with a book that shows different workouts.  It doesn't take up much space and does a good well rounded workout.  I recommend it.

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 03:46:50 PM »
Dumbells and are great because you also workout your stabilizer muscles and will generally get more muscle tone.  Machines are more precise in the muscle groups they target.

Offline 1voice

• Onevoice
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »
Over the years I have tried several systems... Power Rider, Solo Flex, Bow Flex, and Total Gym.

While my wife likes the Power Rider I have to say for strength and total fitness the Solo Flex and Total Gym are my favorites with the Total Gym giving me the best workout I have had since I belonged to a health spa.

The total gym is very pricey but what is cool about it is you can add free weights, try it for a month to see if you like it, and the fact that they will set you up on a easy pay and take it out of your checking account monthly with no interest.

If you belong to a health spa and are paying monthly dues the Total Gym will pay for itself after a year.
Mark 1:3

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 06:10:44 PM »
You won't run into the danger of becoming "bulky" since muscles don't build up overnight. It takes months and months, so you won't wake up one day and scream "oh my god, I'm way too bulky! What do I do?!" ;)
So you can easily monitor and control your progress.

Since you don't want to do serious bodybuilding and you just want to maintain what you have and get a little firmer, I suggest doing something simple, such as self-resistance workouts (no equipment needed here).

Check out this interesting site on self-resistance workouts: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/OBB/OBB.html

Harry
Who loves ya, baby?