Author Topic: How do I maintain that part where the baldness ends and the sideburns begin?  (Read 3791 times)

Offline AndrewD

• Learning the way of Sly
I've been sly for about a year now, but just recently started growing out the beard.  I'm liking how it looks, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to maintain where the baldness ends and the sideburns begin.  I was thinking of trying to have a slight fade starting at the top of the ears for half an inch, which will blend into the full grown sideburns/beard.  At this point I've just been shaving clean a little below the top of the ear.  Looks all right, but I'm not completely happy with it.  Any of you bearded guys have any suggestions?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
I thought about that a lot, but finally settled on straight with the top of the ear--meets the sunglasses' frame.  I keep it shorter near the top, about one-half of what I let it grow to at the chin.  And, oddly enough got a compliment on the look again today, particularly in comparison to my former tailback goatee. 

Offline AndrewD

Thanks Saintc, I'll give that a shot once it grows out a little bit more.  I can definitely see how that would add to the symmetry.  I also considered the goatee look, but I don't think it's for me.   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:32:59 PM by AndrewD »

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
Since you're beard is still dark I think your approach of fading it a bit at the top is a great idea.  My beard went to the goat a week or so ago and even that is gone now.  When I had the full beard I brought those tops down to a bit of dull points and I did a bit of a fade for about the top inch and a half.  My beard has a decent amount of grey in it now, even so I liked the transition that the fading allowed.  And using the line where your glasses/sunglasses land is a great approach - it looks better when they're on and it gives you a concrete point to trim to.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline AndrewD

Thanks, Sailor61.  I like the glasses suggestion from both of you, I'll use that one as well.  Sounds like a great way to maintain a consistent line in a good location.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
You'll get to enjoy it.  In the event you've never seen them, take a look at the rules of beard acquisition, http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/topic/3688/Rules-of-Beard-Acquisition
It only takes 10 minutes or so to find out what you look like sly, but to give a beard a chance to show what it can do is an exercise in patience--too many guys over trim, over think the process.  Just let it happen and in two or three months you'll see the results of your patience--it is worth it.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Saint and Sailor beat me to my recommendation. I wear glasses and my beard starts at bottom of my frame's arm.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
The only other thing I thought of was angling the top edge on a line from the top of the ear to the outside corner of the mouth. I thought about growing my beard out and that's the picture I had in mind of how it would look.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
During the winter months, when I sport a full beard rather than the Van Dyck, I also do the glasses-arm thing.

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
You'll get to enjoy it.  In the event you've never seen them, take a look at the rules of beard acquisition, http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/topic/3688/Rules-of-Beard-Acquisition
It only takes 10 minutes or so to find out what you look like sly, but to give a beard a chance to show what it can do is an exercise in patience--too many guys over trim, over think the process.  Just let it happen and in two or three months you'll see the results of your patience--it is worth it.
after reading this maybe we SBG's should coin are own version "The Slyness rules of Acquisition for fence sitters."
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Enter your email address: