Author Topic: Pondering "before" and "after" - with pics  (Read 15217 times)

Offline banmuir

• Sly Jr.
Pondering "before" and "after" - with pics
« on: April 22, 2011, 02:38:15 AM »
Like many others, I wondered what difference shaving my head would make. The usual worries of an "odd head", people's reactions, could I keep up with shaving, etc.

But -- it's just hair ... and it does grow back. Taking the plunge is not the end of the world. But the agonising and debating seems to go on forever!

I rarely include people in my photographs, and have almost no photographs of myself, but documenting this journey with pictures has been really interesting.

(left) About to take the plunge -- the back tells a different story with a sparsely covered crown, or when the wind rearranges things (as shown)!
(centre) A number 2 cut. I suspected the top was thinning but hadn't realise how much until I saw this picture (the camera was slightly elevated, so it's a view I don't normally see).
(right) Day four of the first 30.

For me, the visual change was quite dramatic. The part I didn't anticipate is what it did for my attitude and self-confidence. No longer worrying about my appearance, and (to some extent) what people thought about that, I've found that I've just got on living and doing. I've been more myself (if that makes sense).

The thirty-day challenge is important. The end of week three was rough, but all is now resolved without throwing in the towel.

Yesterday I was with a larger group of colleagues who hadn't yet met the sly me. I got a hug and a whispered "I like the haircut" from one of the ladies. Several guys who I have hardly interacted with in the past two years were among the very first to come over and greet me - all with shaved heads. That was different, but really good. No specific comment from them, but a few from two of the others. The rest politely 'ignored' my new look!!

I've also become aware how many guys around have really short or shaved "hairstyles". It seems I just never really noticed them before, it seems that that is the way I'm now not being noticed in turn! (with apologies to the grammar police!) Only those who knew the 'before' have commented / reacted to the 'after'. My family have yet to find out - that will happen in a few weeks  :D !!

MikeBrke

Re: Pondering "before" and "after" - with pics
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »
You definitely look better and younger with a sly head; I think you healthy and "fresh."

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
 "I got a hug and a whispered 'I like the haircut' from one of the ladies."

Great post, and I'd be willing to bet you never got a compliment like that with the thinning crop!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:37:05 AM by saintc »

marty22

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »
you look 5 years younger shaved!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
Sly is for you! Definitely!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
Going sly was a good choice, the look suits you!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »
you look 5 years younger shaved!

I think so too.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
You look great!

:)

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33:25 AM »
Good choice...cool to see the progression in photos...wish I had done that!

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »
I think the middle photo is the best! All in all, it's an improvement  O0. Anyway, your head shape is perfect for shaving, nice round dome with some edges and not an eggshape.

Offline banmuir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »
Thanks for the responses - and also for the encouragement through the first 30 days.

I found those 30 days are quite useful for just "keeping at it" and working things out - otherwise it would have been easy to give up without persevering through issues.

The eternal quest for the BBS shave is addictive, plus the morning routine is really excellent 'me' time.

However, what started as skipping one day a week (skin was not happy) sometimes ends up as two - and I find I like the sandpaper (1 day) or velcro (2 days) as well. I have dark hair, which means I have a permanent shadow even after I've shaved (since I'm mostly BBC). But a little bit of growth makes for a less stark appearance. As has been mentioned before, people don't seem to notice the difference.

I've also found that skipping at least a day then gives me a really excellent shave. Possibly because there is more for the blades to work with in getting a closer cut. But I continue to experiment, and am enjoying more and more the whole experience of being sly!

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »
Keep it smooth, mate. It definitely suits you. Bet the gal's love it !!
BaldBill

Enter your email address: