Author Topic: Any Tall Slys Think It's Hard To Lift Weight?  (Read 5088 times)

Offline TheBaldAndBeautiful

• Sly Jr.
Any Tall Slys Think It's Hard To Lift Weight?
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:10:59 PM »
Alright, I joined a gym in Feb 28 of this year.  So far, I've been doing excellent.  Use to struggle benching even 50lbs.  Now I can bench up to a max of 190 with spotter.  I go three times a week with rest on the weekends.  Eat atleast about 5 to 6 meals a day as well.  But I have a problem.  Today some new guy came into the gym and started lifting heavily what took me a couple of months to accomplished.  How can a skinny-ass dude bench better than me?  Lol  Just don't understand it.

Btw, I'm 6'7'' with long as arms, so the travel is gruesome.  Sometimes I can only do 3 to 5 reps in 4 sets.  Any other tall guys have this problem?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Any Tall Slys Think It's Hard To Lift Weight?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »
I don't think you have a problem.  You're pressing almost four times what you were able to press just six weeks ago.  Don't measure yourself by what others can and can't do; we're all different and if you stick with it you'll continue to get stronger and eventually be able to lift more.  And I don't think your height of the length of your arms has anything to do with it.  Just keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be fine.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »
As a tall skinny dude all my life I can relate. It wasn't until about 25 years ago I joined the Y in my area and they had a weight room with free weights, Universal, and Nautilus. I started doing complete circuits on the Nautilus and within about 6 months I was able to bench 280 on a rack for an annual fitness test. I know that free weights are better because controlling the bar is half the battle but in all the years I tried free weights I was unable to do reps with anything over 150. Nautilus is very cool in my opinion. I know that there are believers on both sides and I applaud fans of free weights but the Nautilus system definitely worked for me.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline KC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »
Keep up the good work; it takes repetition and consistency but the benefits are tremendous.  I too, am a fan of free weights as you develop the proper technique which makes lifting into a sport.  Make sure you have a good lifting buddy and get proper advice at the gym (there is a reason I do supervised group workouts).  The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.
"The Spirit of the Mercury Astronauts is Rekindled in Me!"

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:31:01 PM »
Thanks, bros.  I started doing db-chest work in order to increase my bench for next month. So yeah.

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:59:24 AM »
Thanks, bros.  I started doing db-chest work in order to increase my bench for next month. So yeah.
to answer your op with a little science simply put the smaller dude has a lower center of gravity and is able to put more force into most moves even while sitting or laying on the bench. i can relate restarting my fitness soon now that it is warm. remember don't over train to often and to cycle your muscles between days which i am sure you have already broken into your routine also change up the order in which as well has the weight to prevent plateaus and start with weights and move onto cardio for weight loss which i am also sure you know.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »
Amazing tip and thanks.  I have changed up everything & my strength has INCREASED.  Of course, I'm using some supplements now--only three supplements.  Whey, Creatine Mono, and a pre-workout.  The rest is healthy food.  I tend to like dumbbells better, because it uses more of the stablizers muscles.

Offline TeenSlyGuy

• Feeling so sly like a bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
I'm a tall guy around 160 somewhat skinny but i can max out at 170 with a spotter not too bad for being 17.  Point is when your tall think about all the push you have to do in order to bring it up compared to shorter stubby armed guys.  Your doing great and making much progress

Offline SlyCanuck

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
As a guy that has been around gyms for over a decade I have to tell you that sometimes it is difficult to predict who is going to be able to bench a lot of weight.  I've seen fairly skinny guys lift double their bodyweight and I have seen pretty thick dudes struggle to put their body weight up.  I think a lot of it is just being blessed with strong pecs and deltoids for the average guy who comes in off the street.  After that, it is how hard, and the quality of training, rest, and nutrition.
Help a bald brother out.  We are entered in a contest to win $5000 based on votes for our video.  If you have a facebook account, click on the link and please vote! http://teammysask411.com/winbig-vote/view/user/colleen

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »
Im about 6'3 200 lbs and I on a good day could bench about 300.  I never do though---I would rather do 280 3 times and control it then kill myself for one rep. Better to lift less weight and control it. Shorter guys can get better leverage because there is less distance to travel.
Is your goal to be fit or to push a lot of weight on your bench ?
Try doing squats. They will increase your OVERALL body strength. Which is better than just being able to bench a lot.
Shave your head.....free your mind.

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
Haha, thanks everyone.  I'm almost finished with my 6th month and let me tell ya', It was amazing.  My deadlift has increased from 205 to now 405 with 6 reps.  Everything has increased, Including my bench.  My physique is priming up, but the shoulders are lacking.  I'm still on a bulk and giving it another 6 months until I cut it all off a little.