Author Topic: Hook'em is a runner  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
Hook'em is a runner
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »
Been training since Jan 3rd for a marathon in October. I know, it's a ways off, but I've been a couch potato for a while now and needed a head start. First day i ran i was on a run 5 min, walk 5 min program and could barely do it. This past Saturday I ran 10 miles and it was no biggie. I was always afraid of running because i hate being out of breath. The way i've been trained that's not a problem. I've lost 4 inches on my waist and 25 pounds so far. I want to lose at least another 10-15. I feel great, other than the running related sore knees, etc. But it's worth it.

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Hook'em is a runner
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »
Well done Hook'Em! Outstanding results!   O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:31:57 AM »
Good job Hook'em!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline KC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:16:49 AM »
Hook'em-- keep up with the running, it is a wonderful exercise and you can adjust the length and intensity of your run as your fitness level improves.

I recently went to a running shoe store locally, called Pacers, that knows something about the physiology of runners.  I discovered that my gait was slightly overpronated which means that I was rolling my knees inward when my feet hit the ground.  This caused some soreness in my lower thigh area.  By changing my shoe to one that corrects for overpronation, my running has become much more comfortable.  While it was not a serious issue yet, I probably avoided problems later down the line.   It is worth the effort and few extra bucks to get a shoe that is right for how you run.

Enjoy this great conditioning sport.  As I'm sure you know, it can be addictive.

Ken
"The Spirit of the Mercury Astronauts is Rekindled in Me!"

Offline KC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:21:19 AM »
P.S.  When you get a little bit closer to the marathon race day, don't skimp on the longer runs.  When I trained for the Marine Corp marathon, I cut back on some of the longer runs on my training regiment.  At the half way point, I felt stong and invincible, but by 15 miles, I hit the wall.  Fortunately, I got my second wind around mile 21 and finished the race strong with a respectable time.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
Way to go Graham! The weight loss is very apparent in the new avatar.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
@KC, I went to Luke's Locker in Dallas before i started and made sure and had proper shoes. I also have a trainer (my brother) who is very strict with his regimen. I've deviated a couple of times and he yells and says this and that will happen and he's always right, so I pretty much follow what he says. He's a triathlete and has been running marathons for almost 20 years. Anyway I'm sure he will make sure i do all long, short, tempo, kill-ya runs that I have to do.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline KC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »
@KC, I went to Luke's Locker in Dallas before i started and made sure and had proper shoes. I also have a trainer (my brother) who is very strict with his regimen. I've deviated a couple of times and he yells and says this and that will happen and he's always right, so I pretty much follow what he says. He's a triathlete and has been running marathons for almost 20 years. Anyway I'm sure he will make sure i do all long, short, tempo, kill-ya runs that I have to do.

All good my friend.  Just wanted to give you the benefit of my experience.  I am a very serious scuba diver and a casual runner; so naturally, diving trumps running.  Along the way, however, you learn a few things.  I wish you nothing but success!  Ken

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »
Well done, Hook Em!

Keep up the good work!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
You may want to look into the Pose running method. I'm working on converting to that running style and my usually problematic knee haven't hurt at all.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.