Author Topic: Getting the hang of HeadBlade  (Read 13326 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Getting the hang of HeadBlade
« on: April 14, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »
After giving HeadBlade another try last weekend, I went back to the Mach III.  I've been wanting to the the hand of using the Headblade, but just don't have the extra time to spend on the learning curve during the work week.  So, since today is Saturday, and because my scalp was especially stubbly today (I didn't shave until 11 am), I tried the HeadBlade again. 

This time I am very pleased with the result.  I did get a small nick on the back of my head because I think I applied too much pressure, but for the most part I got a good close shave, without having to repeatedly shave over most areas.  The sides of the head are still the trickiest.  The last time I used the HB, I stayed smooth for almost 24 hours.  We'll see if the results are as long-lasting this time.

I may be finally starting to like this product.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Getting the hang of HeadBlade
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:58:36 AM »
Well, either I'm exeptional on the learning curve, or the FUSION and preshave routine I've used since the beginning is a factor.

But I honestly have NEVER--not even ONCE, in the 3 months I've been shavin' the noggin--gotten a nick, razor bumps/burns, irritation, itchiness, etc...

So, while I thought I would be another Headblader when I was contemplating going SLY.....there just ain't nuthin broke to fix....so I'm stickin' with the Fusion.....sorry Headblade.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 10:01:28 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »

But I honestly have NEVER--not even ONCE, in the 3 months I've been shavin' the noggin--gotten a nick, razor bumps/burns, irritation, itchiness, etc...

I'm jealous  @K* @K* In fact started considering if I could stay sly when I spent the last week trying to get rid of a head full of bumps.   Wasn't the headblade for me cause I used my fusion and still had a problem.  I'll sit on the fence a while longer and continue using them both
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

jusbnme

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 07:11:51 PM »

I'm jealous  @K* @K* In fact started considering if I could stay sly when I spent the last week trying to get rid of a head full of bumps.   Wasn't the headblade for me cause I used my fusion and still had a problem.  I'll sit on the fence a while longer and continue using them both
[/quote]

I'm still on the fence with the HB also but I'm trying to hang in there.  I still switch once a week to see how my two razors differ.  I go back and forth from the HB to the Mach 3.  I shave everyday with the HB because I wanted to use it more so that I could try to get the hang of it.  It's starting to get a lot easier for the most part but there are some tricky spots on my dome like the very top of the head where my hair sort of does a swirl thing and then there are the sides which always give me trouble with the HB.  I've noticed when I go back to the Mach 3 the shave takes just a little longer but getting the sides are very easy and I never get any nicks.  With the HB I'm constantly having to switch hands so that I can get different areas of the noggin.  I read somewhere once that Todd, the owner, said he came out with the HB because he was tired of standard razors which he had to contort his hands to use on his head.  To me I feel like I am contorting my hand more with the HB some times.  I guess I might just have to except the fact I'm just one of those people that will never be comfortable with the HB.  I really loved the way my Fusion worked on the dome but the refills are so expensive. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:20:34 PM »
[quote author=Lance link=topic=1458.msg23240#msg23240
I'm still on the fence with the HB also but I'm trying to hang in there.  I still switch once a week to see how my two razors differ.  I go back and forth from the HB to the Mach 3.

With the HB I'm constantly having to switch hands so that I can get different areas of the noggin.  I read somewhere once that Todd, the owner, said he came out with the HB because he was tired of standard razors which he had to contort his hands to use on his head.  To me I feel like I am contorting my hand more with the HB some times.  I guess I might just have to except the fact I'm just one of those people that will never be comfortable with the HB.  I
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same way.  You are constantly switching hands, directions, etc.  I also feel like I'm contorting my hand more with the HB than a regular razor.  But I'm hoping that once I get used to it that will become second nature.   Today I shaved my head with the HB and then touched up a couple of the problem areas with the Mach III when I was finished shaving my face. 

For some reason, I seem to be staying smooth longer when I use the HB, which is a pretty big plus.  I also like the fact that the refill cartridges are so cheap.  I'm still not completely won over, but I do like it better than I used to.  Time will tell.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »
After reading several posts in various threads, I'm beginning to wonder if it breaks down like this:

If a person can get a smooth shave going front to back and back to front, they'll like the HeadBlade. 

If a person has to shave from left to right or right to left to get a smooth shave, then they won't like the HeadBlade.

What do you guys think?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »
Sounds logical, Tyler....again..never tried the HB, but I probably wouldn't like it...1) because I'm getting so handy with my FUSION...and...2) Because behind my ears and on the sides of my head I need to shave up from my ears to go against the grain.  seems like that would be awkward with the HB.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 10:54:36 PM »
I have tried going side to side with my HeadBlade and it's really tricky so I'd have to agree Tyler.
If I need a touch up I grab the Fusion!  ::)

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

jusbnme

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 04:12:38 AM »
After reading several posts in various threads, I'm beginning to wonder if it breaks down like this:

If a person can get a smooth shave going front to back and back to front, they'll like the HeadBlade. 

If a person has to shave from left to right or right to left to get a smooth shave, then they won't like the HeadBlade.

What do you guys think?

You hit the nail on the head for me Mr. T.  That's exactly the problem I've been having.  I have to go up from the sides to get a smooth shave because of the way my hair grows.  I can go front to back and back to front for about half the head but then if I want the sides smooth I have to go up from the ear in a pretty large area.  Then when I get to the crown of the dome I have this swirl type of deal going on.  So I have to come from all kinds of angles to get the perfectly smooth feel.  Switching and coming from all different angles ends up irritating me and nicking me more with the HB since it's designed to take long smooth strokes.  Especially around the ears.  With my Mach 3 or Fusion it seems like I actually take less time and get less irritation since I'm never really switching my hands.  And since I shave in the shower and go by feel half the time it's easier to get around and above my ears.  So like I said, I believe you're right on with your theory bro.   O0 

I did give a new routine a try last night that worked pretty good.  I just used the KoS Nexium oil and my Fusion.  It actually gave me a very comfortable and close shave.  I thought I was going to have problems without using the HeadSlick with it but the oil alone did great.  I just had to make sure I kept the dome wet like Baldrob had mentioned before.  I didn't even have to use HeadLube afterwards.  I just patted my dome with a towel when I stepped out of the shower and I was good to go.  I guess by using the KoS oil it kept it moisturized enough.  I may have found yet another routine.  I hope so, I'm getting tired of trying to perfect this shaving thing.  I just want to find that perfect routine and be done.  Now I just have to figure out which body parts I want to sell to make enough money to buy more Fusion cartridges.  ;D

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 07:37:20 AM »

What do you guys think?

I tried the side to side with teh HB and it was very awkward.  I'll stick to the front to back and then back to front. 

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »
I guess I didn't have much of a learning curve.  I only swap the direction of the headblade once during a shave. 

My method is as follows;

I hold the headblade with the razor blade towards my index finger, right hand.  I start at the top of my forehead, and shave front to back.  I then shave the left side of my head from my sideburns up, slightly angling the razor over the ears.  Slowly until you get more practice.  This way I shave most of the left side.  I then shave the crown of my head, from left to right, since the hair there grows in swirls and sideways.  Then I switch directions of the headblade, pointing the razor towards my little finger, and I shave the right side of my head, starting at the sideburn up towards the top.  A little more awkward, but I not bad.  I slightly angle the blade to go over the top of the ears.  I then shave the back, starting at my neck going up to the crown.  Again, I slightly angle the blade to go over the ears to the top of my head.  I need to point out that the headblade never goes past the second knuckle of my middle finger. 

Clear as mud?  Hope this helps, it didn't take me long to master this, guess I'm stubborn.
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 02:04:53 PM »
Seems Headblade is the way for me too.  I did try my Mach3, but seemed to have better control (or close proximaty to my head) with the HB.  Getting better every day.  I am now shaving against the grain...NICE!! 8)

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 04:05:17 PM »
My routine goes front to back and up the back of the head, making sure to bend my head forward since I risk a nick if my neck skin isn't pulled tight.  I used to leave my temples alone and touch them up with the Mach 3, but I've gotten good with shaving up the sides and going over my ears with the Headblade.  My only tricky area now is the cowlick in the dimple of my head, but I've figured out it goes in a clockwise direction, so I come at it counter.  After a month, you learn which areas you need to double check with your fingers, so I'm getting some really smooth shaves lately.

Still trying to figure out how much HeadSlick to use.  I started using a nickel-sized amount, but I've noticed more irritation lately especially around the cowlick, so I'm going back to quarter-sized or more.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:07:38 PM by blondeguy »

RoachX

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 08:10:47 PM »

What do you guys think?

I think your on the mark for that too. In order to get the sides of my head smooth i have to shave up from the ears to the top of my head, and thats a pain a half with the headblade. The middle of my head is a breeze with the headblade though cause i just have to go back to front and vice versa. I also noticed that the headblade does gives a closer shave with less passes then the mach 3.

jusbnme

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 11:54:41 AM »
I may slowly be getting the hang of how to shave around my ears better with the HB.  I sort of used some of the routine VFRWolf says he uses.  I was always trying to go straight up with the HB which was really contorting the heck out of my hands.  But this morning I used front to back starting at my sideburns then slowly going up and turning as I got right above the ear line.  Then just kept going down the back behind my ears.  Then I came from the back up the ear line and sort of up and towards the front.  It seemed to get all the stubborn stubble that was giving me such a hard time before and I didn't nick myself this time either.  I was going very slow though.  I'm sure I'll speed up once I get use to getting around the ears.  I also held the top of my ear down with the opposite hand as I was passing.  The crown of my dome was a little easier this morning also.  I was always nervous about shaving across the top of the dome from side to side with the HB because I just didn't think it would contour enough not to nick my head.  And I could never get that spot smooth because of the "swirling" effect up there.  But like before, after reading VFRWolf's routine how he goes side to side, I gave it a shot.  To my surprise it was fine with no nicks at all and it actually got it very smooth for me having an indention up there.  I may finally be getting the hang of the HB but I won't say 100% yet until I've shaved at least a few more times.  That's why this forum is so great.  You can get all kinds of different advice and opinions on lots of things.  Not just head shaving.  Once again, you da man "Mr. T", and thanks for the routine tips VFRWolf.  O0