Author Topic: Beard question/thoughts  (Read 9406 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Beard question/thoughts
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »
I've "tried" to grow a beard before but never got past about a week.  I've not shaved for 11 days now, except for edging/shaping. As I've never really had a beard before, I'm not sure if I over did it on the shaping. I'm hoping a few more experienced beard growers on here could offer their opinions. Should I go any higher on the neck or does it look ok where it is now. Thanks!!

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Beard question/thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
I looks good Doug.  Personally I prefer my beard trimmed just under my jaw bone, but that's a personal perference.

Red Longtime baldie, wearer of the beard.
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
Thats basically what I did with mine when I grew my beard out. Granted, mine got big enough to keep a brush in it, but mine was shaped the same.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »
Looks good to me.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »
Looks great to my eye.

I keep mine trimmed at the point where my neck goes into the bottom of the jaw. In your 1st pic it looks as if it comes down a bit further than I would let mine go.  I've found that  if I cut mine any more forward I get an effect of a turkey wattle which I definitely don't have.  Every head/face is shaped differently and it takes a bit of fiddling to settle on what works best on each one.  But the BandB look is great on you - keep experimenting until you pick the right trim for you.

I've had a beard for the last 30 winters with only one exception that I can recall.  Before the MPB set in I was able to let it get long a few times.  With the sly I've decided that short is the best look for me.  My ongoing question is how to finish the tops where it used to meet the sideburns.  Have tried tapering it to almost a point, just leaving it blunt and full lengt but what I seem to like the best is to trim the top of the sides gradually shorter - almost into a fade.  I like that look the best but it does require frequent trims to keep it that way.

Mine always goes away for summer though this year I'm going to give just the goat a try for at least 2 weeks to see how that looks/feels.

TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
Thanks for all the comments fellas! I may try to bring it up a little higher on the neck (more so in the middle than on the site) but not too much more. 

My ongoing question is how to finish the tops where it used to meet the sideburns.

Having glasses makes that decision easy for me.

Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 03:51:21 PM »
Looks good.  I'd resist the temptation to do much too much shaping at this point.  It looks good the way you have it.  Let it grow out some more.  Once it fills in and you have a better idea of what the finished product will look like, then you can take it up a bit more on the neck. It's better to be conservative in the beginning and leave it a little lower than you'd like than to risk taking too much off.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow."

The seed seems well-planted.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
beards.org has some guidance on shaping you might want to look at.  Looks good so far, but remember, it's 10-20 minutes to sly, it can be a couple of months to see what the beard will look like as a mature part of your features. 

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »
Razor - I'll leave it alone.

Saint - Thanks for the link! I'll take a look at the site, but I'll try not to shape it anymore than I already have.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
Razor - I'll leave it alone.
 I'll try not to shape it anymore than I already have.
O0

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
Update: This past weekend I took out the trimmer (after thinking about it for a day or two) and trimmed it down to about 4 mm all over. It was getting a little unruly in my opinion after 3 weeks. I got past the itching, but the coarseness and scruffy look just weren't doing it for me. One unexpected benefit of this was that my beard feels much softer, which I like.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
Update: This past weekend I took out the trimmer (after thinking about it for a day or two) and trimmed it down to about 4 mm all over. It was getting a little unruly in my opinion after 3 weeks. I got past the itching, but the coarseness and scruffy look just weren't doing it for me. One unexpected benefit of this was that my beard feels much softer, which I like.
The "which I like" is the important part, if it feels right for you--it's right!

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
Thanks for all the comments fellas! I may try to bring it up a little higher on the neck (more so in the middle than on the site) but not too much more. 

My ongoing question is how to finish the tops where it used to meet the sideburns.

Having glasses makes that decision easy for me.

Yeah - glasses do make that part a lot easier!  I tend to alternate between a full beard in the winter and a goatee/stache in the summer ...haven't been clean-shaven in over 16 years!
MikeC

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
Glasses are a help for me too!  Anyway, the beard fits you.  Short beards and sly noggins are a great combination!  But for me right now, I am having fun getting it longer!

Enter your email address: