Author Topic: How to shave your head in France  (Read 3254 times)

Offline adaman

• Learning the way of Sly
How to shave your head in France
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »
Hey guys,

Seriously considering going sly here, and this site is incredibly helpful. Thank you guys! Only problem for me is I'm studying in France for the semester! So, products are different and also I'm sure much less readily available, as I've noticed that shaved heads here are extremely rare. Guys (lots of young guys too) tend to make strange gelled contraptions, even though I'm starting to suspect that the French are even more genetically predisposed to baldness than Americans are. If it's too much of a hassle, I may just zero-guard it until I get back to the states (already have the trimmer, I've been buzzing to a #2 or #3 for about five months). But does anyone know what products to look for in France? I'd rather avoid ordering American products as the shipping would be pretty expensive. I do speak French.

Thanks!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: How to shave your head in France
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:08:17 AM »
Keep it simple. Find a store that sells shaving supplies and buy some. I'm sure that men shave over there like we do here. As far as getting to the zero guard, assuming you have not yet gone sly, I might try a barber shop. Maybe even get the barber to do the first shave.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:50 PM »
Razor and cream is all you need to start. Any thing else can come later.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:22:48 PM »
I don't know any of the French or European brands, but King of Shaves (a UK brand) is very good and quite likely available there.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
Google "French shave products"   Seem to be a lot of good stuff there, in addition you can have a fine meal and some great wine while you enjoy you're newly scraped grape! 

Offline adaman

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
Thanks guys! Saintc, yeah, it actually does seem like that would've been a logical course of action for me  :) Thanks.

I think I'm going to trim it myself with the zero-guard, as I've been lurking here a while and read a lot of people saying that if you're careful it's easy to do yourself. And also they don't have barbers here, they just have chic hair stylists (coiffeurs), so I imagine it would be pretty expensive, at least compared to a barber. And I'll see if the mood strikes me to go all the way sly... but I can say that at least right now, I feel like I want to transition into it a bit slowly. I also feel a bit more self-conscious in France than I did in the US, so that's messing with me too. If I don't ever go completely sly in France, though, this summer back in the states I'll definitely give it a go.

Again, thanks guys! This is a great site. I spent a lot of time reading stuff on hair loss forums when I first realized I was going bald in September (after being completely oblivious for two years), and the negativity and incredibly unhealthy obsession I saw there was pretty terrifying. I spent a month pretty much unable to stop thinking about it, and I finally decided I needed to do something to get on with my life. While I didn't go sly, this site did help me come up with a healthy partial solution, which was buzzing. And it did get me to stop worrying for quite a while and feel a lot better. Thanks for keeping me off the drugs! :)

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Planning to do it Friday.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:33:22 AM »
Hello Adaman!

Try this online: http://www.headblade.fr/

Here in Germany it works very well.

Have a nice day in Europe.

J

Enter your email address: