Author Topic: Need help trying to get the double zero, light stubble, even shadow look  (Read 26507 times)

Offline Shadowman

• Learning the way of Sly
Hi I’m 27 years old with thinning hair that I’ve been trimming & shaving bald for 5 years now. I have sensitive skin with tough hair even though it’s thin.

I’m trying to go with the double zero, light stubble, shadow look but I can’t seem to find a clipper/trimmer that cut’s even or contours around my head because of the flat heads on my clipper/trimmers. I also want something that cuts easy, that doesn’t scratch or irritate my head sort of like a foil shaver.

This is what I have owned and used.

Gillette Sensor Excel (For shaving bald, no cuts or irritation but I don’t like the shinny Mr. Clean look on me) 

Wahl Senior (No guard lowest setting) (This I use for when my hair has not been cut for a week and I need to use clippers, but it only cuts the side and back even not the top & not the final length I’m gunning for)

Panasonic ES8228 (I read this was one of the best foil shavers, but it cuts to close for a shinny bald look which is probably good for the face)

Oster T-Finisher (Small head doesn’t really contour right, made really for lining up)

Wahl Detailer same as the T-Finisher

Wahl Balding Clipper 000000 blade (This thing is like putting needles into your head, it ripped my skin apart with bumps, cut, scratches and my head felt like it was burning for 4 days) 

Wahl Peanut (Was ok while it lasted)

Andis T-Trimmer (This is what I used after I used the Senior most recently, but it takes awhile and it scratches my head, but gave me the closest look to what I wanted but I dropped it and the housing and head broke which is why I’m here and it's also really made for lining up)

I’ve looked at the Wahl 5 Star Shaver & the Andis ProFoil Shaver but I don’t know if it will give me the look I want and I think they booth have a trimmer at the end which could get in the way.

So to sum it up again I’m basically looking for a double zero, light stubble, shadow look with a contouring foil shaver that I can use daily and is easy to use. I have never used any of my clippers/trimmers daily because it’s just too much work and irritation.

Any help or suggestions would be great thanks.

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave

ShadowMan,

Try the Conair CleanHead. It delivers a variety of results, one of which seems to be the look your searching for!

Check it out here:  http://www.iknowheads.com

After the intro, click on the "HOW TO USE" link at the top of the page to learn more.

Sears has the item for around $40, but some of the guys have bought them online for slightly less!

Once again - WELCOME To SBG!

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
I agree with Noodles the Conair Clean head might work for you.What I use to do is use a blade  razor and shave once or twice a week. This way you only have the ultra close look for one or two days, and then the look you want for a# of days. I found this to be the easiest and best way.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
I agree with Noodles the Conair Clean head might work for you.What I use to do is use a blade  razor and shave once or twice a week. This way you only have the ultra close look for one or two days, and then the look you want for a# of days. I found this to be the easiest and best way.

That's definitely the easiest solution, because no matter what kind of clippers you use, it's very difficult to maintain a consistent look when your hair is cut that short.

For what it's worth, most people consider anything that's a #2 or shorter to be "shaved".  If you're willing to go as short as #00, you might as well shave it completely.  It's less work and I've always found that stubble was more irritating to my skin than using a blade every day.  Some of the worst breakouts I've had were when I skipped shaving for a couple of days.

Offline Shadowman

• Learning the way of Sly
Thanks for all the reply's guys. I ended up buying a CleanHead online & I charged it for the 16 hours needed and it just didn't turn on so guess I got a lemon & I'm waiting on my replacement.  

As for the shaving the head with a blade, I know there is another forum for that but what do you guys use?

I've been using the Gillette Sensor Excel which I've been using on my face for 12 years because it's the only cartridge blade that doesn't irritate my skin & the only one I can make lines with if I do the goatee with the attached thin side burn look. I shave with & against the grain but my problem is even if it looks completely shinny I still feel patches or stripes of rough spots is that normal? Another negative is after one use of a Excel cartridge on the head it's toast and their expensive. I use Edge Shave Gel Ultra Sensitive.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:22:54 AM by Shadowman »

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
There is also the Remington Shortcut which has a balding guide attachment that gets it quite close. Or you can run it over your head with no guard at all. It is a contour clipper unlike anything else out there. There are Youtube videos of it.
A new option is the Phillips Headgroomer. I have the earleir model which cuts to a  no 1. which I like sometimes. Then if you take off the guard it will be a clipper shave. It has a swivel so it makes it easier to use. The new model has a foil headshaver attachement which I dont have but it looks similar to the Conair Cleanhead. I do have a Cleanhead and use it for both a close buzz and a clipper shave. It is a very cheaply masde product nothing like the quality of a Wahl or Oster clipper. I would think an Osrt with a 1a or 00 blade would work well for you.