Author Topic: Breaking a lazy cycle.  (Read 3493 times)

Offline texanron

• Sly
Breaking a lazy cycle.
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:26 AM »
Is anyone else having/had trouble getting back into the gym? For some reason over the past few months I can't seem to get my butt out of bed and make it to the gym on a regular basis. It has to be in the mornings the evenings are not an option. The strategy I have now setup is that as soon as I drop 10lbs I get something I want. This goal will take at least a month to reach and doesn't appear to helping. I'm thinking now I need to reward myself for simply making it to the gym 4 days over a 7 day span!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Breaking a lazy cycle.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:13:32 AM »
When I get in the slump, sometimes it's helped just to keep a record of my weight on a daily basis.  It's amazing how it creeps up, particularly if you drink a beer or something that causes water retention.  Then it's a kick in the butt and I get back in the rhythm of going.  It's really rhythm, it starts the day.  What I have a hard time identifying, personally, is what starts the stay in the sack issue.  I would avoid it if I could identify what sets it off. 
Ten pounds is a really large loss for a month unless there's a big water component.  One other consideration if total body weight is your issue.  You also could use a waist measurement as a goal too--one inch loss, or about one belt notch=reward.  With a heavy weight workout as part of your gym routine waist measurement can be a more accurate guide of your gain since muscle weighs substantially more than fat.  If you're losing the gut and side handles, it's a better measure of your progress.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »
I still work out but have put on some weight over last year and have the gut. I actually resolved to stop worrying about it so and have to say, I think I'm a bit happier. I'm still fit but perhaps not as healthy. I joined the "fat boys" club at work as we joke and I don't really mind.

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:44 AM »
what i was once advised is to get to the gym. even if you dont plan to do anything but shower. the fact you go to the gym gets your body back into the rhythm and sooner or later you can start working out again. 
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:13 AM »
The buddy system works wonders for some people. Team up with a stranger or a friend when going to the gym and motivate each other. Receiving threatening calls in the morning to GET YOUR &$$ OUT OF BED AND GO TO THE GYM is quite effective

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:45:46 AM »
I know that the buddy sytem works great for a LOT of people but personally I like to work out alone.Working out alone means there is no chit-chat, no worrying about looking bad in front of others, no correcting others, no standing around while the other guy does his reps.

To me, making the committment to work out is a committment to YOURSELF and no one else. If you can't motivate yourself to complete the committment to yourself, what else in your life can you possibly motivate yourself to do???

The thing you have to do to get started is...................... just get started. Know that at first it will be tough and there will be days when you are dreadiing it...... but do it anyway. You owe it to yourself.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
I know that the buddy sytem works great for a LOT of people but personally I like to work out alone.Working out alone means there is no chit-chat, no worrying about looking bad in front of others, no correcting others, no standing around while the other guy does his reps.

To me, making the committment to work out is a committment to YOURSELF and no one else. If you can't motivate yourself to complete the committment to yourself, what else in your life can you possibly motivate yourself to do???

The thing you have to do to get started is...................... just get started. Know that at first it will be tough and there will be days when you are dreadiing it...... but do it anyway. You owe it to yourself.

O0 O0 O0

Enter your email address: