Author Topic: best and worst shaving cream  (Read 21372 times)

Donk

best and worst shaving cream
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
the best   :@` shaving cream is "barbasol pure silk" for women. great consistency/texture/lather and even greater smell. the coconut and oat flavor smells really good. very good for shaving your face too. i love this stuff. im going to try the other scents of this soon. the lather on this is comparable to gillete shave gell, thick and smooth. it is not "air-foamy" like their men's version of shave cream.

http://www.barbasol.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=19&carry=

the worst  >:( is headslick by the same makers of the headblade. it is slimy and way too slick/slippery. i cut myself using this lube, because the blade slides laterally as it is so slick. i threw it out after using it a few times. also i dont like the menthol feeling or smell. no lather whatsoever, feels like a slug crawled all over your head. plus it has a tendency to drip down into your eyes and it burns.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:41:18 PM by Donk »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: best and worst shaving cream
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:45:50 PM »
You're probably going to get a ton of different opinions on the best & worst shave cream (of course there are creams, gels, and oils).

Personally, I like Headslick, as do many other SBGs. I find it interesting that you don't think it lathers up. I mix it with Bald Guyz Shave Gel for the sole reason that it does lather up. To me, that 50/50 mix is ideal.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Good luck.
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
Best - Headslick when used properly.  You need to work up a lather with it - I will give you that the container should  have clearer directions about this.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:04:23 AM »
Best: Tie between Head Slick and King of Shaves gel. KOS is getting harder and harder to find, though. Walgreen's cleared them out about 6 months ago and I bought them out.....9 tubes at $1.50 each.

Worst: Any of the foams that come out of the can like whipped cream. I don't believe that they absorb into the hair as well as creams or gels. In my experience they make it feel almost like shaving dry as far as the hair cutting is concerned although they do provide a little lubrication for the skin.

I haven't tried the Barbasol for women, though.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:23:26 AM »
Generally, IMO, the canned foams that are whipped soap are at the bottom, the gel's in can's next up the line, then HS, but it's how you apply it that determines whether you have a light cream texture or a more traditional lather.  Personally, I use a brush, put about a teaspoon of HS in a brush wetted down with hot water, then add a little, very little, gylcerin, then whip it up into a lather on my dome--feels great, and the shave is always a pleasure.  Again, this depends on each SBG's scalp condition, but this is great for me.  I also prime the dome with a little baby oil or Shave Secret--I like it slippery so that the blade works on the hair, not the skin and since there is next to no hair on top and lots in the back, this combination gives me comfort on all parts. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »
Hey Donk-

Try applying that HeadSlick to a shaving brush (I have a cheap WalMart special) and then use the brush to apply the HeadSlick. You'll whip up a lather in no time.

AND.......... most of the guys on here would probably agree that slicker = better.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »
Ming has used canned foam all his shaving life (getting on to fifty years now), and has no complaints about the regular ones--I use Barbasol, generally, the last few years.  But perhaps Ming's Imperial Follicles are less resistant to the softening effects of foam than others, and he has no real complaints about any standard brands. 

As to worst?  The can that's in my bathroom at the moment.  I stopped at a "dollar store" a couple of months ago to see if I could get my usual Barbasol.  No luck, but there were giant cans of "something."  So I bought one on spec.  Well, guys, it turned out to be from China (like nearly everything else these days), and perfumed very strongly with what I take to be "lime" scent.  I feel that I'm shaving with frosting when I lather up.  And the lather is rather wimpy.  And yet, and yet... the hair does come off.

Despite being a despot, Ming can be remarkably forgiving in trivial matters, such as "What's the best shaving potion?"  It's possible to make too much of things that, under the aspect of Eternity, are not worth the psychic investment. 

Ming's edict?  Use whatever you like and works for you.

When the lime confection is gone, I'll buy a can of whatever's on sale at the regular drugstore without a qualm or a hesitation.  All Ming's energies are focused on crushing a certain rebellion "in a galaxy, far, far away."

Donk

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
well i do have to say that the headblade is the best razor out there, but as for the headslick i just dont like menthol(the smell or the feeling) and it was too "slick" and "slippery" for me to feel comfortable with a razor in my hands with.  @c3

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
Like the Headslick but not a fan of the menthol at least in the winter.
Nivea sensitive shaving gel is very good and has a nice scent.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:23:15 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »
I recently did a review on what I think are the best shaving creams for head shaving.  Here's the link - http://www2.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=21655.0
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tartanraven

• Haggis Hunter
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
My feeling on shave creams is pretty straight forward.  If it contains alcohol...AVOID...alcohol will dry out the skin and necessitate post-shave moisturising.  I greatly prefer soaps and cremes that contain lanolin.  My personal preference is Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap.  It is a triple milled soap that after some practice produces a very lush lather that leaves my scalp smooth and moisturised.  I've also had some reasonable luck with tallow based soaps (I only use those when using a double edged safety)
Deus Meus Et Omnia