Author Topic: Ah ha! moment  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Ah ha! moment
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
For those of you that shave your heads, what was the Ah Ha! moment that finally got you to shave your head?  What was it that pushed you to do it?

For me, it was a combination of the lady that cut my hair telling me I was thinning and then shaving it to go hunting.  Once I shaved it, I never turned back.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
Re: Ah ha! moment
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »
As I've said elsewhere recently had to have a couple of lesions removed from my scalp.
Prior to that things had gotten pretty thin and I often wondered how it would look shaved.  When I met with the doctor about getting things taken care she explained to me that I would have several shaved spots where the lesions were.

When I got home I had the "Ah ha" moment - no matter how I decided I looked with a shaved head it would have to be less ridiculous than having a couple of crop circles on my head would.  Procedure was on a Monday, I took it off on the prior Friday in order to get used to the process - and I was very happy with the look.

Procedure did not bring the idea up it simply gave me the shove to do what I had been thinking.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
For me it was a WTF moment that then lead to a AH-HA moment, which then led to my wife and kids' OMG moment!!

But all is fine and dandy in "Noodle-Land" now, since that first fateful moment of shock....

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
My wife not feeling like trimming my hair as usual started my adventure, and led me to a quick trip to Sport Clips and a very short trim (didn't know anything about what number I wanted) which I liked.  This was later followed up by another trip and an even shorter cut, followed by yet another one. Then I decided I could do this myself.  I just couldn't get enough of the short look.  One thing led to another, and I couldn't resist taking all the guards off my clippers, followed by a razor blade.  Ah Ha!  I overcame the annoyed wife who eventually got used to it, and here I am 6+ years later.   :)
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline beardedbaldgerman

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 06:39:48 AM »
I knew for a long time that I wanted a bald head. After weeks of buzzing it shorter and shorter I just said to my boyfriend that I would go all the way. Next morning I did it. I just felt great to touch the smooth skin for the first time - and it still does!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
A few brightly lit photos that showed the thinning was much worse than I'd thought it was.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »
Since I'm from a long line of men with MPB there was no Ah-Ha moment for me..... one day I just decided to do it. I'd been buzzing it to almost nothing for about 4 years anyway.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
Getting ready to go to work, tying my tie, and through my hair on the top of my head I saw the window behind me.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
Same as Saintc ... could see right through the hair on top when it was combed. I never intended to have a combover.  My barber suggested going shorter, my wife suggested a buzz.  I am a clipper shaver (no blade buzz once/week) and occassionally have done a full razor shave. I am experimenting with a slight grow-out right now and am at about a #3 on top....was thinking of trying for a flattop, but apparently there isn't much left up there (which I know).  So, this may be my last chance to try for the flat, which may look pretty sparse.  A few days ago, my wife sort of laughed and said, "Didn't you just get a haircut? Why's it look so long and why can I see through your hair." 

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
No specific "aha" moment for me. I'd been buzzing my head for decades and had thought about shaving it for years. So one day, I just did it. I can't remember what pushed me from thinking about it to actually doing it, though. Just came time I guess.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »
I never intended to have a combover. 

None of us did that wound up with them.  It's the testament to ignoring facts.  I buzzed, then a little more than a month later to the wood--no regrets except the oft expressed one, "Why did I wait so f'ing long??????"

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »
The Ah ha! moment for me was in the barber chair when my barber clippered it skin tight then lathered up the sides and back as usual but stopped...and asked "you want me to take it down to the wood all over including the top this time?"

I only hesitated for a minute and then told him to go for it. Getting to that stage was possible thanks to his progressively shorter and shaved buzzes and some great encouragement from some SBG members (SLYinKC, RazorX, Baldandre, Razorhead) who had already taken the plunge.

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »
Hey Omm you look great and your boyfriend is a lucky man  :)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
It was more of a gradual realization that I was losing hair.  Then I noticed more men shaving their heads.  If there was a "ah ha" it was when I saw news stories of "Jay Buhner Buzz Cut Nights" at the Seattle Mariners.  After learning about that I started looking up stuff on the internet about head shaving.  I ended up finding a now defunct site called "The Hairfree Homepage".  As a result, I shaved my head at the next "Buhner Buzz Night" at the Mariners!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:05:47 PM by marshd1000 »

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
My Ah ha moment came at the barber shop.  I had already shaved my head for a scholarship fund raiser and was letting it grow out.   I went to the barber to have him even it out to a number 1.   He then asked if I wanted it razored down all the way.   It had never entered my mind, but I must have already been bitten by the sly bug and said, "Go for it"    Found this site and advice from PigPen and the guys and been sly ever since. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Enter your email address: