Author Topic: Suggestions on Hawaii??  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
Suggestions on Hawaii??
« on: January 06, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
Hey guys, I put this thread in relationships/dating because it refers to my impending honeymoon, and I wasn't sure where else it should go.

So, my fiancée Jess and I are going to be taking our honeymoon in Hawaii later this year. We've never been there before and were wondering if any of you guys have sent any time there and can suggest some things to see/do, places to eat/drink, etc.

We're doing a Halloween themed wedding on Oct 29th, 2011. We'll be flying in early in the morning on Oct. 31st and staying until the night of Nov. 7th. We're staying in Kailua-Kona on the big island at the Worldmark resort. We're renting a jeep to get around the island in. But we plan to stay on the island the whole week.

We haven't got anything planned at all so far, so we are open to suggestions. Also, we are setting up an online registry where people can give us cash gifts to do specific things (dinner, drinks, tours, etc). So the more specific suggestions, the better an idea we'll have of what to be asking for.

Thanks in advance for helping us have a great honeymoon and I look forward to your input. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:51:37 PM by Vash »

~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Suggestions on Hawaii??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:06:17 AM »
Vash, it has been several years since I've been to kona, but I will ask my wife and friends and get back to you.  you should also message Big Fauna here and ask him as he's living on the islands now.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »
Don't know much about the big island having spent most of my time on Oahu but I have heard some great things about it. Good luck.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
I went to Waikaloa 16 yrs ago. I do remember going to the Kilauea Volcano park and it was very cool.
Congrats, Vash!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »
It's been nearly 4 years since I was there...had fun just walking Waikiki beach(lots of drink, eats, and shopping...plus the scenery ain't bad)...

I know this won't help too much, but there was some "....Moose..." place that had great bands and drinks I frequented.

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
The Big Island, real name, Hawaii, is over twice a large as all the other islands, combined.  Kailua-Kona is pretty far from any where else on the island,  so a car is a must.  It will be a long day to Volcanoes National Park,  but its a must see and do.  Unless you want to spend a night on the East side, (Hilo) it is a long two hour drive each way.  South Point (the most southern point in the US) will add a good hour or so to that trip.   Parker Ranch and Waimea are both the other direction, and a day can be spent there too.  A trip to Hilo can be made by going across the island via Saddle Road, assuming that it is in good repair, and passable without the aid of 4 wheel drive.  Most of the water-falls are on the East side of the Island of Hawaii.  There is a lot of lava, every where, and not much in the way of a nice sandy beach, that would be Maui, always a good reason to come back.   With just 7 days for the trip, you might not have enough time for a day trip to another island, but if you do, my suggestion would be Oahu.  One day there is about all one would want to do, IMO.   Its just like Chicago, except it has palm trees.  Pearl Harbor, the Arizona and USS Missouri would be musts.   Waikiki area and the famed beach probably too.  A long day trip, for sure.
 Jet lag will get you for a day or two, so be prepared for that. 
Google Kona and the Island of Hawaii, and you will find a lot of neat stuff to do.  Another good site to look at is www.beatofhawaii.com  One good restaurant review currently on it for Kona.
Maybe next year, we'll see you on the beach on Maui. (Noi Ka Oi)
Have a good time, and congratulations.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
Kailua-Kona is my favorite place to stay while on the Big Island, as we rent a condo on Ali`i Dr at the Kona Makai Condo's while we are there (google Kona Makai condo images).  We also shop Costco to save on food expenses while there as well, since eating out every day and night will get spendy.  Have been on the BI 3 seperate times and each time to Hawai`i our trips just get longer.  We have been to several other islands, but favor Kailua-Kona aka Kona the best.

Car rental is a must, as already stated, and our favorite beach is Hapuna Beach (google images for Hapuna Beach)  You may also want to travel to Punaluu Black Sand Beach while there.  Volcano National Park and many other places like water falls etc.  If you like to snorkel, there are pleanty of places like Two Step Beach, Snorkel Beach down Ali`i Dr or the many other places available.

Recently there was much damage from the Tsumami that hit the Big Island of Hawai`i that caused the most damage to Kona.

I also wanted to give you a website that a buddy of mine runs to look at http://www.konaweb.com/

Also http://www.konafarmersmarket.com and my wife and I enjoy Huggo's Restaurant located right there in Kona next to the Royal Kona Hotel.

We will be returning in the Spring of 2012.  8)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:13:38 PM by J_B »

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:37:58 PM »
Thanks for the info and suggestions guys!! Really appreciate all the insight.

J_B: This registry - http://www.honeyfund.com/wedding/jessandvash is our current list of what to do on the island. Anything important we missed? Any "must see/do" stuff for first timers?

Everybody: On a different note, I am from a long line of pasty Irish folk (literally, I'm only 2nd gen American) and tropical climes have never been my location of choice (I live in and love Portland, OR.). So, whats a "fish belly white" boy to do to protect his skin for a week in Hawaii?

I've been told that I should start tanning at home before we go,  but I have never, ever gotten a tan on purpose. I generally burn to lobster red and peel to whiter than I started.

SO, any recommendations on skin preparations before we go? Also any good recommendations on good sun blocks, hats, etc...

Any help would be appreciated thanks.  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:44:10 PM by Vash »
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx