Author Topic: New Job - Respirator = No Beard  (Read 9969 times)

Offline SimplySly

• Sly and Bearded
  • Ad Free Elite
  • Sly Jr.
New Job - Respirator = No Beard
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »
I started a new job today with a major pest control company as an outside sales rep.  When I went in this morning I was so excited to be starting a new job (been unemployed for 6 months)....My new boss said "Did we talk about the facial hair policy during your interview?" of course I tell him No, so he explains that the company has a no beard policy...I laughed and told him no he didn't tell me about that.....probably should have phrased it a little different but.....He said yep no beards...is that going to be a problem?  Well of course I sucked it up and told him No, it's not a problem, I rubed my head and said if you can't tell I don't have a real attachment to hair.   GEEZ this sucks but I need the job!

Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: New Job - Respirator = No Beard
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:24:12 PM »
Is there a reason other than "we're uptight assholes"?

You mentioned respirators in your title: health concerns and safety is one thing -- arbitrary rules that make no sense are another.

But unfortunately, "he who holds the gold makes the rules". Sucks though.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:13 PM »
Sounds like the military...lol...need that respirator to make a good seal...

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »
I wish women could grow beards because if women could grow beards this activity of seeking out ways to demand someone shave their beard wouldn't exist.  Have you ever seen a woman told she can't have those lizard-like fake nails?  I've even worked in places where the use of fingers was a necessity and these women would fumble around trying to do things with those damn nails.  Could you see the outrage if a business tried to impose a "No reptilian claws" rule?
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:18:53 AM »
I wish women could grow beards

They can, it just takes 5 or 6 facelifts before you can see them.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:44:48 AM »
One of the things that bugs me about this is that I used to wear a respirator at work so I know full well that a respirator can be worn with facial hair.  One my mine was a full face mask and one day I accidentally cleaned the thing by dunking it in a swimming pool without removing the cartridges.  I put it on and I could barely breathe, gave up, and put replacements on.   Here I was with a typical circle goatee with hair at least 1/2" long and the hair did such a lousy job ruining my seal that I had to get replacement cartridges.  I routinely put the palms of my hands on the cartridges and inhaled just so I could experience the sucking sensation in the mask that I wasn't supposed to get with a goat.  The place that usually failed was the high completely hair-free points up near my eye.  I guess my (nonexistant) cheekbones would be unauthorized too.

The hysteria some have over seeing another with hair growing out of their face that is so intense that they actually demand the person shave it off is one those things I will never understand.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline c16188

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
This story sounds unbelievable to me.
Do we still live in the middle-ages?
In which country do you live?

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »
I too had a job with the NO BEARD policy... Sucked since just a mustache didn't look good with shaved head. And fully shaved I felt I looked like a thinner Uncle Fester from Addams Family. I found they didn't "bit@#" too much with a days growth or so. So I would leave a "goatee shadow" a cpl days a wk. Unless Someone high up was in the office, or meeting. Not shave Thursdays, and have a nice shape for the weekend. Then buzz it back down Monday... A pain... But played the game. I was questioned once in a while, I would just say,,, "Shi+, I shaved last night but my goatee grows in fast"... They would reply.. "funny how it grows in already shaped up... SHAVE IN TH AM THEM"...  As long as I didn't let it fully grow in or look sloppy they were (a bit) flexable. SO, see what you can get away with...  while keeping the job... :-)

Offline Jemig

• Live Music Is Better!
  • Sly Jr.
  • Jemig
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 05:34:05 AM »
Is  there a reason for the 'no beard'  policy? (e.g. safety or health reasons?).
I know that in my area, McDonalds has a no-facial-hair policy. Their motivation is one of 'cleanness'. The staff is working with food, so they also have to wear a hat in order to minimize the chance of hair getting into the burgers.

Maybe a bit far streched, but I can understand it a little bit.

Offline BReady

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »
We have to be clean shaven when we are "fit tested" for respirators.  They don't want somone with a beard not getting a good seal when they are exposed to toxic gas. 

SBG written at 5 micron field of view on an electron microscope (kind of messed up the B, but you get the picture).

BReady

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »
Example of a "bad" seal.

Hint: Keep your eyes on the "PRESIDENTIAL SEAL" on the podium...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6zu8D05ECY?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/a6zu8D05ECY?fs=1&amp;amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/a6zu8D05ECY?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/a6zu8D05ECY?fs=1&amp;amp;</a>

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:18:44 AM »
I can understand that. I know that when I even go scuba diving, my dive mask doesn't get a good seal if I have a moustache, so I have to take it down to Clark Gable thin or shave it off when I dive. (I usually keep the goat, even when the stache goes...)

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »
I can understand this all the way  - - -Have you ever seen a state trooper with facial hair?  Not around where I live

Good for you  - -I am glad you got a job

Offline old_hippie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »
I can understand this all the way  - - -Have you ever seen a state trooper with facial hair?  Not around where I live

here in Wisconsin if you are a state trooper
it allmost  seems you are required to have a mustache
at least most of the state troopers I have seen
have mustaches

Offline KC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
We have to be clean shaven when we are "fit tested" for respirators.  They don't want somone with a beard not getting a good seal when they are exposed to toxic gas. 

Even as a volunteer firefighter/paramedic, I am not allowed any facial hair if I want to run.  Not a big issue for me because I don't care for facial hair.
"The Spirit of the Mercury Astronauts is Rekindled in Me!"