Author Topic: What's the difference between Gels and Foams?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
What's the difference between Gels and Foams?
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »
My Gillette Gel clogs my headblade unit.
Will a foam be better?

If you can't beat them,Shave them.....

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
Re: What's the difference between Gels and Foams?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:25:57 AM »
Trial and Error:
I bought a can of Gillette foam,and it works great!
Doesn't clog the headblade,and easy to apply.
Only thing is,it's very watery,and a lot of foam drains down to the sink,so I don't know how long will the can last......
A damaged can,or does a foam usually act that way?
Thanks,
Yohai.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:27:43 AM by YohaiM »

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »
I haven't used foam in a long time so I don't know what kind of changes, if any, have been made to the formula. I never encountered one that became watery when I applied it. Any possibility that the can was exposed to a low/freezing temperature? That's the only thing I can think of offhand that would make it watery unless there is a problem with the foam from the factory.
The only difference I know between foam and gel is that gel seems to keep moisture on the head longer than foam. When the foam dries out it just gets dry and applying water to it just seems to rinse it off. If gel is left on long enough all I ever needed to do was apply some water to moisten it again. All the gels I have used (King of Shaves, Edge) tend to foam up a bit when first applied. I have not experienced an extreme problem with clogging with gels over foams.
Have you tried any creams like the head Blade cream? Great moisture to the scalp and no clogging problems to report.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »
I haven't used foam in a long time so I don't know what kind of changes, if any, have been made to the formula. I never encountered one that became watery when I applied it. Any possibility that the can was exposed to a low/freezing temperature? That's the only thing I can think of offhand that would make it watery unless there is a problem with the foam from the factory.
The only difference I know between foam and gel is that gel seems to keep moisture on the head longer than foam. When the foam dries out it just gets dry and applying water to it just seems to rinse it off. If gel is left on long enough all I ever needed to do was apply some water to moisten it again. All the gels I have used (King of Shaves, Edge) tend to foam up a bit when first applied. I have not experienced an extreme problem with clogging with gels over foams.
Have you tried any creams like the head Blade cream? Great moisture to the scalp and no clogging problems to report.

First,thanks for replying.
Second,I do have the headblade's shaving cream,but seem only to successfully apply it with a brush.
Have tried with my hands,but I seem to be get a too thin layer of cream,which isn't good for a shave.
I'm tired of using creams,because of the procedure with the brush,and that was the reason I asked about foams.
If foams get the job done,it's fine by me.
Only problem is,I'm stuck with quite a big supply of creams right now,so eventually,I'll have to go back and use the shaving brush.
Thanks again,
Yohai.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:34:29 AM by YohaiM »

Enter your email address: