Author Topic: 10 pounds  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
10 pounds
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:06:27 AM »
Hey all I have been pushing hard lately to get to a goal weight of 180. Right now I am bouncing between 190-195 depending on what time of the day it is LOL.

A little back ground when I left my shore duty and my transfer leave I ate well..... to well as a matter of fact. I had let myself get up to 220, now at only 5'6" tall you can imagine what that was like.

you can see a little of what I do as far as PT goes in my commands PT routine I posted earlier. for whatever reason I have been stuck at this weight level for the last few weeks. I run harder and push harder still watch still watch my diet but I am still stuck.

If any of you have any insight as to how to shed these last 10 pounds I am open to suggestions.

I talked to my HMC (Doctor onboard ship) and she said more cardio so instead of the pool this morning I hit the bicycle.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

PS: once I get to 180 I am hitting the weights hard I am naturaly a big guy all the men in my family are shaped like bricks LOL and I am curious what a strong weight routine will do for someone who is big by genetics.

BALDANDRE

Re: 10 pounds
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:22:25 AM »
Dude, been on the last 10 pounds for YEARS now....thankgoodness I'm way happier and have shed the extra fat (minus the last 10 pounds of it...

I'll be lookin' for responses to this one too...

Glad to also see another cool , sly bald shorter dude here too....I clock in at 5'5'....

I guess, it's just easier for people to appreciate our slyness....you know it's easier for them to catch the glear off the top of our sly bald heads!

BTW, congrats on the body changing! It's not an easy thing to do!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:32:03 AM by BALDANDRE »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »
I know a lot of people (including some SBG's) have had success following the rules of the Abs Diet. Here's a link to some of the basics (including some recipes) from Men's Health

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/topicpage.do?site=MensHealth&channel=weight.loss&category=abs.diet

I have begun to follow some of the principles (key being more meals, but smaller, healthier portions) and have shed a few pounds. I want to ultimately get back to 185 (6' tall) and am currently about 203. It's a good read. One of the things that's always worked for me is not eating too late. I know that's hard with most people's work schedules, but if you can do that, I think it helps.

Good Luck,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:01:04 AM »
One thing I can suggest is to mix up your routine.  If you run a lot, then try the bicycle, eliptical, or swimming, etc.  Or if you really enjoy the exercise that you're doing, change courses by adding more hills and varying the speeds. 

One thing to know is that cardio breaks down your muscles if you stay at a steady pace.  By changing your routine every two minutes, it forces the muscles to adapt and actually helps grow your muscles.  The last thing you want to do is break down the muscles because they are the part of your body that consumes (burns) the most calories.  Every pound of muscle that you add will burn 50 more calories a day at rest.

This is detailed more in the Abs Diet that Schro mentioned.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:52:58 AM »
Glad to also see another cool , sly bald shorter dude here too....I clock in at 5'5'....

I thought I was the only small one (5'6") around here .., now there are at least 3 of us. You've made my day lads :)

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:29 PM »
Add another for the short side.  I'm around 5'7". O0

BALDANDRE

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 02:07:18 PM »

I knew you were a cool dude and not just because of the sly! Well, maybe because you're a great poster child for the "cause of sly"...or maybe when you shaved off the brows last summer...

or maybe just all of the above!

Take care my balded, sly and slightly on the short side, brutha!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 02:09:06 PM »

I thought I was the only small one (5'6") around here .., now there are at least 3 of us. You've made my day lads :)

Hmmm, this is about the most short dudes  I've ever hung out with...

most of my guy friends are about 6 ft tall...must be because the 'sly" makes me just stand a lot taller!!!...

I actually think it does! At least the confidence does!

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:43:12 PM »
OK, I love you guys, but ....

Don't you compact sized SBG's know that if you go sly, you can't use the line from Fletch when he dreams of playing for the Lakers?
You know, when the play-by-play guy says, "Fletch stands 6'4"...6'9" with the Afro".  :*))

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Schro

BALDANDRE

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 03:22:50 PM »
OK, I love you guys, but ....

Don't you compact sized SBG's know that if you go sly, you can't use the line from Fletch when he dreams of playing for the Lakers?
You know, when the play-by-play guy says, "Fletch stands 6'4"...6'9" with the Afro".  :*))

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Schro

Damn, that took longer than I thought it would!  ;)

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:02:38 PM »
Sorry, Fletch is one of my favorite movies and this thread reminded me of it.
As hard as it is for me to do it, I'm really trying to cut down on the beer & Schrotinis until April 27th (outside of three dinner/golf events I'm involved in).

Hamstrings are finally healing up and I've been either walking for an hour at 10% grade running (4 miles, about 800 cals) or 3.5 miles a day. It's an outside shot, but I'm trying to hit 195 lbs by my birthday (May 3rd).

Good luck to all the slim, SBG's out there!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 10:23:56 PM »

once I get to 180 I am hitting the weights hard I am naturaly a big guy all the men in my family are shaped like bricks LOL and I am curious what a strong weight routine will do for someone who is big by genetics.

When you lift weights, you burn calories while you're working out and for several hours afterwards, unlike when you're just doing cardio.  A combination of both is best.  I usually work out 5 days a week.  At least two of those days are devoted to weights, and two are intense cardio routines and the fifth workout is usually a combination of the two. 

Weight training can also help you to change the shape of your body.  I tend to carry most of my weight at the waist line, where it is the hardest (for me) to lose.  Using weight training to build up the chest and upper body can help create the illusion of a smaller waist.

Offline RustyRuss

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald Start / Bald Finish
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 07:01:36 AM »
Last 10 pounds!  Definetly change up your routine.  I've gotten involved in the P90X workout program, which is generally a one hour/day routine that is fast paced.  Primary ingredient is changing up the routine with a lot of aerobics and virtually continous movement.  I'm 52, and have not worked out in some time, therefore I'm altering the program to scale into increased time on a weekly basis.  Change it up with a lot of aerobics and variations in movement with light weights.   Best of luck on the last 10!

RR

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 10:31:06 AM »

I knew you were a cool dude and not just because of the sly! Well, maybe because you're a great poster child for the "cause of sly"...or maybe when you shaved off the brows last summer...

or maybe just all of the above!

Take care my balded, sly and slightly on the short side, brutha!

Thanks Andre!  I very nearly took the brows off again after following the thread you had going with RazorX.  The worst part about it was nothing to keep the shaving cream from getting down into the eyes.  Maybe again when its summer!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »

Thanks Andre!  I very nearly took the brows off again after following the thread you had going with RazorX.  The worst part about it was nothing to keep the shaving cream from getting down into the eyes.  Maybe again when its summer!

Oh, dude, don't say that...you'll get me started with you! You rocked with the sly no brows too (also like the smaller thinned pointed goat you got going...I'm sportin that these days too),...

why wait till the sweat season of summer...THAT'S WHEN you want the brows!

Hey you still go some months till summer!