Author Topic: Stubble vs. smooth  (Read 45907 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Stubble vs. smooth
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:27:01 AM »
Starting a new topic based on the "Court Appearance" thread so as not to hijack the original:

Still working on that smile. It always just seems to come out as a smirk or a snarl. I've decided that I am not going to compromise and grow out 2mm of stubble to look a little less severe.

Do you think the general population perceives 1mm of stubble to be less severe than a completely smooth pate?  Remember that some people consider any kind of a haircut done with a clippers -- even a longish, #4 buzzcut, to be a "shaved head."  So I am really wondering if the sort of person who thinks that way is going to make any distinction between a guy with a little stubble and one with a clean-shaven head.  I'm guessing that in both cases, they see a bald guy and don't dwell on it any longer.

As far as those who do notice, not all of them are going to prefer the velcro look.  I remember once -- probably about 5 or 6 years ago -- when I didn't shave for a few days (can't remember why, just laziness I suppose) and was told by my co-workers that I was looking "rough".   Perhaps that perception was created because I didn't look the way they were used to seeing me; whether they'd have thought the same thing if they were meeting me for the very first time, I don't know.  But it was the last time I ever showed up to work with even a hint of stubble on my dome.   ;)

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Stubble vs. smooth
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »
Yeah, you're pretty much on the mark as far as generalities go.  If you think about the "new" guys who mention how they've been buzzing and shave for he first time; how they love it but most people don't notice.  To those who don't buzz or shave, buzzing is basically the same as shaving- because most don't pay attention to the detail.  For the person who has shaved his dome for the first time, it is like opening up a whole new world to them, or a whole new life. It means so much to those that do the deed of shaving.
Now when you talk about going a few days (or more) and the nubs start growing out and there is a difinitive shadow, or look of hair, a person begins to take on a different look; especially if they are MPB and others notice the (not so good looking) difference.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:32:02 AM by Nonick »

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
...especially if they are MPB and others notice the (not so good looking) difference.  ;)

Great point...if it is already going or almost gone, no need to hang on to those few strands of hair...just scrape the dome period!!!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
Either way it tells me that the guy has his priorities straight.  He knows that the lack of hair doesn't make the man, and he knows that shaved/buzzed looks way better than the Friar Tuck, Comb-over, or other variations of the balding look.  I feel sorry for those who just can't let loose the idea that losing your hair is not the end of the world.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »
I've seen several guys who seem to shave only once or twice a week and have some stubble days in between.  To me, knowing the difference from my personal perspective, I couldn't do it, but it's a matter of personal choice.  Unless the guy is bbc it doesn't make a "hard" look, although for some reason it does strike me as a "hard" look with bbc guys--maybe it's a type of hold over from the skin head British footballers who have gained a bit of a reputation. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
I feel sloppy when I don't shave.  If I skip a day, I doubt anyone can tell because it really doesn't look that different, but I just don't feel that I'm at my best when my scalp isn't scraped smooth.  I always thought I wouldn't mind the stubble too much once I developed a well-defined horseshoe because I don't think that looks bad on other guys.  But I'm kind of there now and not liking the stubble any better.   :(

Offline baldaholic

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 03:23:26 PM »

Do you think the general population perceives 1mm of stubble to be less severe than a completely smooth pate?  Remember that some people consider any kind of a haircut done with a clippers -- even a longish, #4 buzzcut, to be a "shaved head."  So I am really wondering if the sort of person who thinks that way is going to make any distinction between a guy with a little stubble and one with a clean-shaven head.  I'm guessing that in both cases, they see a bald guy and don't dwell on it any longer.

I think, like Razor X already said: For the general public it doesn't make much of a difference if somebody is shaved smooth or clippershaved, or 2 mm. Most people consider that to be bald.
Most of us know the difference of a smooth head compared to stubble, and the big difference in the feel of it, so we pick up on the difference.

So, does it make a difference?
For the most of us it does - for the general public: "not so much". ;-)

Just my  humble oppinion
Regards
Sometimer

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
In thinking about it, I guess the only people who notice the difference between a clean shaved head and a bit of velcro are people like us. I just think that those of us who have obvious mpb when our hair is grown out a bit look quite a bit older, and I suppose I equated looking older with looking "less severe". Of course there are so many other factors that go into how we are percieved or how we believe we are percieved. Just like in the army the only people who cared about what insignia we wore or what color are berets were, were other soldiers. Everyone else just saw soldiers where we saw infantry, armour etc.

As it turned out the prosecutor in the case had a shaved head - velcro not skin. He offered me a plea which I took. $100 and 3 months of good driving probation and no moving violation goes on my record. If I had lost the case it would have been $325 and would have gone on my record. I'm quite pleased. I hadn't realized how steap a fine it was for doing 30 in a school zone. Requesting a trial ended up being a good decision, and the whole hair thing was stupid to have even worried about.

Finally, the officer did show up and he too had a shaved head.

A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
prosecutor in the case had a shaved head - velcro not skin. He offered me a plea which I took. $100 and 3 months of good driving probation and no moving violation goes on my record.
Like I said, the attorney would see you before anything happened.  You might have gotten off scot free if you had known his witness wasn't available, but the court could have continued, rather than dismissed the charge--depends on the relationship.  You did a good deal and found out that you're part of the bald nation and that for almost every purpose a shaved head is irrelavent.  Good move Jack!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »
They hit you pretty hard for a little over the speed limit. But that's not as bad as passing a school bus , my wife was fined about $4oo and she says she never saw a bus.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »
I must say that it was very nice not feeling so different because of my shaved head. There were more men with shaved heads in the courtroom as men with hair. That is obviously not what I'm used to in the classroom. It was worth going to court just to come to the realization that the shaved head look is so common and so accepted. 

prosecutor in the case had a shaved head - velcro not skin. He offered me a plea which I took. $100 and 3 months of good driving probation and no moving violation goes on my record.
Like I said, the attorney would see you before anything happened.  You might have gotten off scot free if you had known his witness wasn't available, but the court could have continued, rather than dismissed the charge--depends on the relationship.  You did a good deal and found out that you're part of the bald nation and that for almost every purpose a shaved head is irrelavent.  Good move Jack!
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »
It was worth going to court just to come to the realization that the shaved head look is so common and so accepted. 

YES, and have we ever said that it wasn't here at SBG?  Jack21 you're now totally part of the solution for other guys lurking out there, reading our posts--you are bringing a lot of guys to the obvious fact that it's not hair, it's who you are as a person that counts.  Personally, I might have held out for a better deal, but you're a teacher, not a maligned lawyer like me >:D  Good work. 

Offline stalkingwolf

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Beast by nature, BBC
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
I didn't really realize the difference when i shaved my head for the first time either i had a little stubble left over, and a friend of mine in my artillery section saw me and took a look, he quickly picked up on the stubble and gave me tips on how to get a cleaner smoother shave, i corrected the issues and now i know what a smooth dome is like and im addicted.

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
Hey guy's, I  had gone back to the buzz look for a while and flat out did not like it.  Of course my wife did, and requested I leave a bit more on top..... well the ol shaver then the head cream and razor took care of that one  :*))

Offline AKbald7

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 02:01:41 AM »
I shaved my head around 8-9 pm tonight.  Right now it's 4am and I can feel the stubble already.  To me it matters, I don't want my head feeling like my sideburns, but I honestly doubt anyone else realizes it.  Tonight was a special night, roommate had his 22nd birthday so we all went out looking good so I gave a good shave.  Who would notice though?  Probably just me, but to each his own.  If you need the clean shave to feel confident then go for it, if it's not going to bother you enough to whip out the razor then forget about it.

I couldn't even begin to count the days I've woken up with bed hair/hat hair/greasy hair and completely forgot, at least the stubble it isn't as noticeable.  Now I wake up and think, "I want to shave my head, wait, I'm still a bit too hungover think I'll wait a few hours."

Worst case scenario you always got the go to look of  :x!  I think that says enough.
I got bored one day.