Author Topic: Online Education  (Read 3232 times)

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
Online Education
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:01:25 PM »
Need some input and opinions and what a better place than SBG!!

At the ripe old age of 47 I am strongly considering furthering my education. I would like to pursue a degree in criminal justice but here is my delima. With my normal job schedule ( I work in pest control) it is not possible for me to physically attend a tech school or college. During warmer months I work extended hours so it would not be practical. So I am considering doing degree work online. I am not at all familiar with going this route and I don't personally know anyone who has done this.

Have any of you acquired degrees online and if so what has your experience been?

Thanks in advance for your input

Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Online Education
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »
I don't have any firsthand experience with this, but have you looked into any of your local colleges/universities or community colleges to see what kind of online coursework they offer?

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:58:31 AM »
The two here don't have online courses that I can find in the area I want to study.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 06:16:26 AM »
One thought, contact the personnel departments of some of your local law enforcement agencies and see if there are any such courses they recognize or perhaps even recommend.

Pshrynk

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 08:18:33 AM »
I thought I'd mention one thing.   Their is often an elitist bricks and mortar attitude that doesn't appreciate the quality and utility of online/distance learning.  I have two Master's degrees, one from a bricks and mortar institution  and one from distance learning.  I can honestly say that the distance learning model fit my "way of learning" much better and I got a lot more from it.   

That being said, be very wary of fly by night, profit first distance/online institutions and really deeply research what accreditations are important in pursuing your career aspirations.