Author Topic: Court Appearance  (Read 11208 times)

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
Re: Court Appearance
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 02:22:11 PM »
Though that tape looks a bit old, and I never seen a ST with a goatee... Very good points in there... Don't be fooled by their sweet talk, just trying to gather evidence and get you to give up your rights. keep in mind that 20 over Speed lim, they can arrest, though they normally don't. If they do, some ares require them to voucher the car, and they and may be able to take inventory in order to safeguard items.. now finding things a legal way. In the video, the car can be taken by an other licensed driver in car, but if not. Then better so say you want the car left there and you will have it picked up. every state is diff, and every city and even town does it diff... So alway best to do as the video says... "IT WASN"T ME"

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »
My firm belief is that (as Tom said) if its his word against mine I lose.

Why contest the ticket then?  Next time you get pulled over put your watch-wearing wrist up to the window and when the officer walks up, get a pic of him and the time on the ole camera phone!  ;D  Just try not to get shot...

"Let's just sprinkle some crack on him..."
*Sprinkles crack*

Joke reference NSFW (great standup btw):
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:32:45 PM by BillOnBass »
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »
Why contest it? Because truth is on my side. I was wrongly cited for an offense that I did not commit, and as this is the United States of America I am within my rights to appear before a judge in a court of law and declare my innocence. By not contesting my guilt I would be admitting it. I don't care about the hassle or the ultimate outcome.

My firm belief is that (as Tom said) if its his word against mine I lose.

Why contest the ticket then?  Next time you get pulled over put your watch-wearing wrist up to the window and when the officer walks up, get a pic of him and the time on the ole camera phone!  ;D  Just try not to get shot...

"Let's just sprinkle some crack on him..."
*Sprinkles crack*

Joke reference NSFW (great standup btw):

A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
I used to be a cop... going to court is always a good idea and though you might not get off, you'll likely get a lesser fine.  The shaved pate is not an issue, just smile and be yourself!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
Still working on that smile. It always just seems to come out as a smirk or a snarl. I've decided that I am not going to compromise and grow out 2mm of stubble to look a little less severe. I'll practice my smile between now and Friday....and I have to remember to go take photographs of that sign.

I used to be a cop... going to court is always a good idea and though you might not get off, you'll likely get a lesser fine.  The shaved pate is not an issue, just smile and be yourself!  O0
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
Jack you have nothing to lose , but time . Give it a shot tell the truth and all the other info and see what happens.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »
Keep us posted on the results of your court quest, Jack.

Best of luck to you, bro.

...Your experience reminds me of a similiar type scene from an early 1960's sitcom...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jwhme_ARU?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jwhme_ARU?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot; width=&quot;480&quot; height=&quot;385&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jwhme_ARU?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jwhme_ARU?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot; width=&quot;480&quot; height=&quot;385&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;</a>

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »
Non issue?

You're answer.  If this is the arraignment, you'll enter a plea and they will set a trial date.  If that's done and this is the trial date you'll probably have a conference with the prosecutor before--keep it friendly, he may have already seen a problem in the file you don't know about, i.e. the attesting officer isn't in court.  The issue is the law and facts, not the personalities.  Smile a little.  

I'm not sure if this is the case if he's going to traffic court to dispute a traffic violation, he has the option of appealing the nature of the disposition/contesting the ticket in person.

If it was something like a HS ( health and Safety ) code for marijuana *for example* and they gave him a cite and release than yes everything you said would be done but not for something like a VC violation such as running a red light, speeding or no seat belt....unless they do things differently in LA/N.O.  or Texas where you live Jason. :x!

You look fine, be honest and smile, you go in there with a chip on your shoulder or a bad attitude likes it's taking time out of your day to show up then that judge will chew you up big time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:25:54 PM by RyanJP »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »
Noodles......good video... :*))
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 10:23:22 AM »
Make the officer produce the video that his vehicle is equiped to have, ie the dash cam that activates when the lights and siren should it be used goes on.  It goes back and grabs the minute or 30 seconds prior to the stop.  It will have the date stamp on the video.

Good luck with this in court.

The guy just made a mistake. He pulled me over at 7:00 for doing 29 in a school zone that goes into effect at 7:15. He then wrote 7:15 on the citation, the exact minute the school zone law goes into effect. It wasn't even 7:10 by the time he left my car. I was going to say something to him, but then thought better of telling a cop that he was wrong. The cop made an honest mistake, but he should have let me off when he looked at his watch and realized that he had made an error. Anyway, hair or no hair I am pretty sure that I will be one of about 3 people in court with a coat and tie.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »
This is an ancient thread, but I was curious if there was any chance your clock was off and if it really was 7:15am.  With all of the budget shortfalls going on right now this kind of stuff is going to happen more and more, oh wait, cops don't have quotas  :*))
You don't know me, but I know you.

Enter your email address: