Author Topic: The Road to Sly  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
The Road to Sly
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:48:04 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how long did you think about shaving your head before you actually did it?  I probably hold the record for taking the longest to get there.  I thought about doing it for 4 years before I actually got up the nerve to do it (in my defense, I was waiting for my hair to recede a little more before doing anything about it).  And it was almost another 2 years before I started shaving full-time.  It seems ridiculous now to have waited so long, but at the time I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
Re: The Road to Sly
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:47:33 PM »
I think that I might have you beat.  I've cut my hair down to no guard in the summer for almost 10 years now.  I've joke and thought about slick shaving the whole time.  It's probable been four or five years since I really wanted to try it.  I'll be one month sly on Saturday and I'm not going back!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »
Zero guard for 6 months. One day I just said what fluck just do it and I did it.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:52:51 PM »
about 2 yrs? found this site last summer or fall..read a bunch of posts...and for the next few months thought heavy about it...still didnt have the bawls...until i got a really bad haircut , visited the site again and registered.....been a month and half so far...no end in sight  O0
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:00:03 AM »
First time I shaved my head, I was only about 19 or 20. Just myself and a couple of other buddies messin around and decided to shave our heads.

Most recently, I did it for St Baldrick's, and I haven't looked back since.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 08:22:49 AM »
Was "jonesen" to do it for years before I got the nerve to do it...

but "the first" times were way back in the early 90's ( the only cats doing it were really only skinheads or the occassion jock)...was worried if people thought I was a skinhead or worse a posser in the eyes of the skinheads that hung around the music scene I was into....nothin' happened...it was a different time and place my friends...

was on and off for years...

about 10 yrs ago was about when I last saw my hair grow out to any length other than skinned or a shadow of stubble (on the rare occassion I didn't shave...very rare!)

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:53:17 AM »
I wanted to do it in high school, but only last month did I spend a week seriously considering it.  Then I did it. :)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »
The first time was in the 70's and not by choice, but by the maniacal barbers at Marine Corps boot camp.  The real sly was just over five months ago for an Armed Forces childrens fundraiser.  Was gonna grow it back till a bunch of guys on some website called SlyBaldGuys encouraged me to keep sly.  Damn those guys, never been happier. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:58:12 PM »
It took me about a year to take the plunge.  After several negative reactions, including my wife not liking it, I grew it back for another year... well, 14 months but who was counting!   ::)  I hated it!

I finally told the nay sayers too bad!  This year I've been liberated!   :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Enter your email address: