Author Topic: low weight high rep for toning  (Read 4186 times)

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
low weight high rep for toning
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »
does anyone believe this is true? from my reading and from my personal experience it is mostly
if not all about body fat . low weight and high reps is basically cardio so u might as well do some
running instead. gain a whole bunch of muscle and lose a whole bunch of fat to actually show it
or to ''tone'' it as some call it.

am i wrong or right here?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: low weight high rep for toning
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »
Cardio will help you lose fat -- and you are correct that it's necessary to lose some body fat to show definition.  But cardio won't help build and tone muscle.  For example, you're never going to get toned biceps from running.  Low weight, hi rep will still cause muscle fatigue if done properly; that's what gives the toned look.

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:27:24 PM »
actually you will get toned biceps from running......eventually. im not trying to sound argumentative here, but this is a fitness myth
that too many people seem to believe.

to be toned you need to have some decent muscle mass. you gain this mass by overloading the muscle and causing it to grow.
after this you reduce your bodyfat enough for your muscle to show through.

low weight and high reps does fatigue the muscle,but that is only burning calories and wont do much for toning
that running wouldn't do faster. im tired of seeing people i know lifting 25 pounds or less for 40 reps because they
'' want to get toned but not too bulky''.

i wanna see more people opinions on this - i enjoy fitness talk  :)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:47:03 AM »
actually you will get toned biceps from running......eventually. im not trying to sound argumentative here, but this is a fitness myth
that too many people seem to believe.

I can think of more efficient ways to accomplish that goal.

low weight and high reps does fatigue the muscle,but that is only burning calories and wont do much for toning
that running wouldn't do faster. im tired of seeing people i know lifting 25 pounds or less for 40 reps because they
'' want to get toned but not too bulky''.

I wasn't talking about that low weight.

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:15:12 AM »
yeah i kinda exaggerated the weight ;D

what are the faster ways? are you talking about ECA stack?

Offline kelly123

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 04:37:57 AM »
Toning may be not affected much as you said. I think low weight should be remained in a limit otherwise it can harm the body. For me it is not necessary actually, we must follow a good routine of exercise and a good diet.

Offline jwco5.3

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:49:41 AM »
From what I have read, low weight high reps leads to more of a shredded look.  Muscular and lean.  Heavy weight, low reps leads more to a bulk, swollen look.  I'm no pro tho, and could be mistaken.

BaldRob

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:30:37 PM »
Or if you do a good mix of weight training (medium to heavy, 8 - 10 reps) plus a good cardio training program, you will get that toned, but well defined look, as well as being in overall better shape!

MikeBrke

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »
The original poster is correct: low-weight, high-repetition isn't the primary reason for the "toned" look. Being toned is a function of body fat, not the amount of weight used when lifting.

The reason many believe that low-weight, high repetition results in the toned look is because a person is burning many calories while performing the work out.  So technically it isn't the direct cause of getting toned, but it is a perfectly viable and popular way of doing so.  Personally, I would rather lift light and burn calories compared to running around the block a hundred times  :/O 

Basically there are two ways to get toned. (1) lift heavy, get bulky, and then cut your body fat percent (this usually results in people who are both big and toned); or (2) lift light (or any other cardiovascular exercise involving your whole body) and cut your body fat percent (this usually results in people who are smaller and toned).  In my opinion, the first option is much more difficult.

Enter your email address: