Author Topic: The Almost Universal Beard/Goatee  (Read 7978 times)

Offline legaleagle

• Learning the way of Sly
The Almost Universal Beard/Goatee
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
This has probably been addressed before, but I'm wondering why the vast majority (90%?) of sly guys go with some form of facial hair.  Is it simply accepted that facial hair goes well with the sly look, is it a desire to have some hair on the head to mess around with (even if it's not on top), is there some other universal reason, or is it different for each person?  I think there is a perception that sly guys go with facial hair in order to "compensate" for their lack of hair--though I'm sure most people here would refute that.

Any thoughts on the matter?  I never thought of myself as a "goatee guy," but I'm wondering if that will change if/when I go sly.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Re: The Almost Universal Beard/Goatee
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »
A little facial hair of the mustache and goatee type... well, it gives an air of menace and swagger.  Not, of course, that Ming endorses such a POV, amiable and wimp-like as his affect is (see photo).

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »
For some, I'd bet it's a form of compensation for having nothing up top, but I'm also sure in a lot of cases, it's just a matter of personal preference. Besides, bald heads and facial hair just look good together.  O0
Personally, I've always had some form of facial hair ever since I was old enough to grow it, which was several years before I actively started shaving the dome. I just can't rock the baby face. I don't like looking at myself without some form of facial hair. In that regard, I've always been a bit of an advocate for it. Example: I fully support Conan O'Brien's recent facial growth.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
I saw a statement once by a sly guy who said that without the goatee it's too much skin.  Whether that has any validity I think is a personal choice.  Beards are natural, and most guys can grow a pretty decent version of a goat with or without a stache.  Full beards, like I have now also work but they are not as common although I've seen a lot more of them since I decided to try this out.  
I'm glad I'm a pack rat so I didn't ditch the combs and brushes--useful.  Yes, now I have to shampoo regularly, although not daily as I did with my extremely fine hair to try to construct the combover.  I get a lot of nice comments on the beard though.  The Mr. Clean look is good too as far as I'm concerned but for the foreseeable future I'm pretty satisfied with the full "box beard."
Should you decide to try some facial hair remember, although it's only about 20 minutes to go sly it takes about 3 months to really see what your beard will be--patience.  There's some pretty good advice at beards.org and there are the rules for acquisition of a beard that you should also take a look at. http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/topic/3688

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
I've sported some form of facial hair since I was a teenager (with the obligatory way-past-shoulder-length hair of the day) so I'm probably not an ideal candidate for a response here, however, I think that Ming is on to something. The goat definitely adds some swag to what, for some us (myself included), could be an otherwise visage ordinaire.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:00:48 PM »
Simply put...I like it!
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
Despite the objections of EVERY gf I have ever had, I have had a goatee ever since HS (except for my time in the army) so I may also be a bad example. I think that maybe some guys grow a goatee to "balance" the shaved head look. I happen to think it looks good although the godfathers of the shaved head Jordan, Savalas, and Yule Brenner never wore beards that I know of.
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
I think there is a perception that sly guys go with facial hair in order to "compensate" for their lack of hair--though I'm sure most people here would refute that.
Horse pocky.

I've had facial fur since I was 17.

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:27:49 PM »
I hope you didn't think that by "balance" I meant "compensation". There's something pleasing about the balance of a slick dome and a goatee. There is nothing compensatory about it.

I think there is a perception that sly guys go with facial hair in order to "compensate" for their lack of hair--though I'm sure most people here would refute that.
Horse pocky.

I've had facial fur since I was 17.
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:35:08 AM »
When I'm shaved bald, I just look better with a goatee. When I have hair - #2 buzz or longer, I can go clean shaven when I feel like it. But I just look like an even goofier Howie Mandel if I'm bald and clean shaven - not exactly the vibe I want to give off...

Offline cromedomecutting

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 08:28:08 AM »
well i have been having facial hair since highschool even when i served in the army i had a mustache most of the time and i just like how it looks and its mysterious lol

Offline rascaldog

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 05:11:11 PM »
I haven't been clean shaven in 25 years. Had a full beard for a while. Goatee for the last 15. I don't see me ever shaving it off. It is getting mostly grey now, but heck I am 50.

Offline Basqueman

• Sly Jr.
  • Your opinion of yourself is the one that matters
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
I've noticed that its the more distinguished guys that sport a mustache or goatee.  The younger guys that are sly seem to keep the face clean shaven....my personal observation.

My good friend who convinced me to go sly got into shaving his face with a straight razor after he shaved clean.  He now sports some definitely unusual goats.  The straight razor allows him to make precise lines of facial hair on his chin, cheeks and mustache.  Every time I see him he's done something different.  Its all an issue of one's own personal grooming I guess.  The time spent on maintenance I think, has something to do with it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:16:58 PM by Basqueman »

marty22

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »
welcome to both ChromeDome and Basque.

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
I am more of a soul patch man myself.
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair