Author Topic: Sly For Job Interviews  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Cardosoalex

• Learning the way of Sly
  • "We're all born bald, baby!" - Teddy Savalas
Sly For Job Interviews
« on: November 24, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »
Hello to all!

This issue has probably already been discussed in the forum but I searched a little bit and didn’t discover anything about it yet. I’m currently out of a job (yeah, it’s this damned economical crisis) and I’m unsure of the impact that the sly look may have on a job interviewer. What I mean to say is, can I be discriminated, or frowned upon, or even having less chances of succeeding on a job interview if I shave my head?

Could it be preferable to let my hair grow a little bit for the interview and then shave it all off after I get the job?  ;D

I don’t know if this is relevant but I am an industrial engineer, so my line of work is essentially in industry or possibly as a teacher.

I would really appreciate your opinion and/or personal experience on this matter.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Sly For Job Interviews
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
Most important thing is you are comfortable and confident in the situation, whether it's slick, stubble or hirsute! If it were really an obstacle all of us SBGs would be unemployed!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »
Hair is essentially irrelavent--dress with style, clean, neat and appropriate--hair or the lack thereof is not an issue.  Polite behavior, knowing the subject matter, appropriate body response--look the interviewer in the eye, etc--that is important.  Good luck, know your stuff and get the job offer--then decide if it's right for you.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
Rob6 and saintc speak wisely! Go with whatever will make you feel the most comfortable and confident in the interview.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »
Its not your hair or lack of, rather its certainly your persona (personality) and your posititive interest in the position (job) that you apply.  Confidence and clean good looks is very important of which you have !  Don't forget how an upbeat positive personality rules .... so ride it !  Good Luck !

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:30:56 PM »
If anything, going SLY to an interview adds to your professional look...

...just make sure if wear a goatee that it is neat(recommend going to a barber/stylist a day or 2 before the interview).

Offline Southworth14

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 05:23:07 AM »
My experience is that it is the luck of the draw as to who you get to interview with.  Some people love us bald guys; others don't.  Confidence is key.  Remember to wear a good fitting suit, a power tie (preferably red or yellow) and make sure that your shoes are shined and your teeth cleaned and polished.   So, good luck

marty22

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »
I think a short (001 cut) is better to keep it conservative. You can shave it off later.

Offline Cardosoalex

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:57:38 AM »
Ok, thank you all for the replies.

I agree with what you're saying: a clean look, being professional, confidence (this one is especially important), being well dressed, are the keys to success here.

When i come to think of it, if I were an interviewer and i had two candidates for the job: A "perfect hair" guy stating that we would be perfect for the job because he has the “looks”, and a bald candidate, who came across to me as a professional, right man for the job, i would kick the "perfect hair" guy right out the door! Lol

Also meditating a little bit on what Southworth14 said, I think that there will always be someone who dislikes a shaved head (just like anything else: a mustache, a beard, an tattoo, whatever) and I think it’s fair enough to say that I can’t worry about what I can’t control.

Thanks all, you’ve set my mind at ease about this subject.

(This forum rocks!)

Offline Cardosoalex

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 07:59:25 AM »
@Marty22

Conservative is good to please the crowds! Lol

I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »
Don't forget the note to the interviewer thanking them for the time to introduce yourself and discuss your qualifications.  It not only firms up your professional attitude but also as an extra bonus gets your name in front of them again! 

Offline Cardosoalex

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Don't forget the note to the interviewer thanking them for the time to introduce yourself and discuss your qualifications.  It not only firms up your professional attitude but also as an extra bonus gets your name in front of them again! 

@Saintc

Too true!

Good stuff.  O0

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »
I was going to start a new thread but the background on this one, even though old, is too "spot on" to lose.

Went sly about 8 months ago and had already been looking for a position for awhile.  Since joining the sly world I've been on interviews and not gotten anywhere - I've felt that most of the slots were things I was overqualified for but never really know why you get passed over.

Well to bring this up to the present, been talkign with a headhunter (who I knew prior on a social level) about a position.  This morning, after we had talked job and were just chatting, I said "Let me ask you a question that might seem a bit personal..."  I went on to say I'm hearing from some friends etc that maybe I need to let the hair grow back.  Her response was perfect "If it makes you feel more comfortable then do it, if you're more comfortable and at ease bald then stay that way.  It has become common for men to deal with balding with a razor and is not looked at oddly in most settings.  However if you're looking at very conservative businesses such as private banking and some old school law firms I woudl say let it grow out to a short buzz cut.  But for 99% of employers it's probably less an issue than facial hair can be in some settings"   She did go on to say that you need to pay a bit more attention to clothing after shaving - as I know to be true - what looked good before may need to change.  As we all know for some reason darker colors seem to look better when sly etc.  The other suggestion, regarding beards/goatees/etc is to send the few bucks and get them preofessionally trimmed a day or 2 in advance.  Sort the same things that everyone said in earlier posts but this time it was coming frmo a professional recruiter.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »
I might go to a job interview in the next weeks, by choice as I might move back to my hometown, and I will definetely go in there sly bald, I shave every day and will put extra effort into it the day I will have the interview. Like another fellow bald guy said in an unrelated post.....going in there as if I owned the f...ing place
Must admit that I'm under no pressure here, maybe if I was desperate of getting a job I would act differently or at least give it a thought or two about not going in there smoothly shaved
Like others perfectly said....dress well, behave well, be and act polite and you will be absolutely fine.....and if your interviewer is a female I bet you get the job for sure!!!!

Slynito

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
You got some excellent advice from some smart guys...go with it and best of luck!

O0