Author Topic: Really bad shaving irritation  (Read 16012 times)

BaldBradley

Really bad shaving irritation
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »
I knew I had a little irritation because I had one or two bumps I could feel, but man I just looked and its terrible. I know go over that area a couple times when shavig because my hair grows in so many different directions back there, and because I want my head to be perfectly smooth. What should I do to eliminate the irritation I already have, and prevent getting more? I use a Headblade with Barbasol shaving cream (Im trying to finish the can before going my Schick hydro), and afterwards I use Bald Guyz moisturizer, I usually put that on 2-3 times a day.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I might post a picture if its just as bad tomorrow.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Really bad shaving irritation
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »
Keep it clean, keep it clear.  Change pillowcase regularly, at least once a week.  Don't wear old hats that aren't clean.  Wash that dome two to three times a day with a MILD antibactirial soap such as Cuticura.  Use an astringent, hydrogen peroxide or witch hazel after the shave. 

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:12:54 PM »
I knew I had a little irritation because I had one or two bumps I could feel, but man I just looked and its terrible. I know go over that area a couple times when shavig because my hair grows in so many different directions back there, and because I want my head to be perfectly smooth. What should I do to eliminate the irritation I already have, and prevent getting more? I use a Headblade with Barbasol shaving cream (Im trying to finish the can before going my Schick hydro), and afterwards I use Bald Guyz moisturizer, I usually put that on 2-3 times a day.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I might post a picture if its just as bad tomorrow.

Having trouble with the HeadBlade?
Which kind of razor did you use in the past?
Maybe you're not using it right.
Did you look at the HeadBlade 101 video in HeadBlade's website?
Worst case scenario-you go back to your old razor......
If you can't beat them,Shave them.....

BaldBradley

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »

Having trouble with the HeadBlade?
Which kind of razor did you use in the past?
Maybe you're not using it right.
Did you look at the HeadBlade 101 video in HeadBlade's website?
Worst case scenario-you go back to your old razor......

I'm using the blade that comes with the Headblade, I've heard people day that it's not the best blade to use. Before I got a Headblade Sport I was using what ever disposable razors were the cheapest. I have a feeling it might be the Barbasol, because it comes off so fast. I've seen the 101 videos before, but I'll watch them again to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

After I shave I put on some Bald Guyz moisturizer, it stings a little bit if I rub it in. I'm going to take your advice Saint, I'll start washing my head a couple times a day.

The irritation doesn't itch or anything, but I really don't want a huge red bumpy area on the back of my head for everyone to see. I have some acne cream, I'll see if that helps any.

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »
I have a feeling it might be the Barbasol, because it comes off so fast. I've seen the 101 videos before, but I'll watch them again to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

Try the headslick.It's really something else........(maybe you'll handle it with your hands.I can only handle it with a shaving brush)

BaldBradley

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »
I have a feeling it might be the Barbasol, because it comes off so fast. I've seen the 101 videos before, but I'll watch them again to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

Try the headslick.It's really something else........(maybe you'll handle it with your hands.I can only handle it with a shaving brush)

I'll have to get it next month, I don't have any money :(

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »
Hate to say it but your skin could be reacting adversely to the Bald Guyz moisturizer. I broke out in bumps when I tried it out some months back. (It was on sale, so I had to give it a go.) Try something else in it's place when you get a couple of dollars to spare. Everyone's skin is different. Personally I find that the popular Head Slick, Bald Guyz and similarly popular products for us sly guys just don't work for me at all. A favorite of mine is Nivea Sensitive Skin After Shave Balm. My skin loves it. Very soothing on those areas where you have to attack the hair from all angles to get the desired result.

You'll find that you're gonna experiment a bit with different products and work out a combination of those that work best for your particular chemistry, shaving products and shaving routine. And budget, of course. ;)

To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

BaldBradley

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:19:33 AM »
Hate to say it but your skin could be reacting adversely to the Bald Guyz moisturizer. I broke out in bumps when I tried it out some months back. (It was on sale, so I had to give it a go.) Try something else in it's place when you get a couple of dollars to spare. Everyone's skin is different. Personally I find that the popular Head Slick, Bald Guyz and similarly popular products for us sly guys just don't work for me at all. A favorite of mine is Nivea Sensitive Skin After Shave Balm. My skin loves it. Very soothing on those areas where you have to attack the hair from all angles to get the desired result.

You'll find that you're gonna experiment a bit with different products and work out a combination of those that work best for your particular chemistry, shaving products and shaving routine. And budget, of course. ;)

I'll probably give Headslick a shot when I get some money, it seems to work good for most people. Nivea usually makes good products, I might get some of their sensitive skin stuff aswell.

I checked the back of my head again and it looks a lot better, the redness has gone down, but there are still bumps. I'm thinking maybe something on the Bald Guyz moisturizer that irritated my skin (Ive used hand sanitizer a few times, and it has the same effect on my skin.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »
I always experienced more irritation when I used the Headblade with the Atra blades.  Got a very close shave, especially in the back of the head, but also a lot more irritation.

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 08:59:07 AM »
You might try shave secret, it doesn't cost much at Wally World, either put it directly on your skin before you shave or mix it with your shave cream. I'd stay away from the hand sanitizer, too much alcohol might be irritating. Yes, peroxide and witch hazel like saintc says are good, not too much alcohol. also don't be putting alot of things on you head. Too much stuff isn't good.

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 09:27:57 AM »
I always experienced more irritation when I used the Headblade with the Atra blades.  Got a very close shave, especially in the back of the head, but also a lot more irritation.

What do you use now?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »

What do you use now?

Mach III. 

BaldBradley

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm going to switch it up a bit today and use shaving gel (Schick Hydro) it Instead of cream (Barbasol). I watched the 101 videos again, and I am going to make sure so don't put any pressure on the blade. I've been shaving my entire head with my right hand, using ny left hand feels awkward, but I'll try it. Also I will wash my head immediately with antibacterial soap. Theb throughout the day I will put some Bald Guyz moisturizer. If I still have really bad irritation I will shave with a disposable razor tomorrow, and if that doesn't work then I'll have to shave with the grain.

If doing all of these things doesn't work than I will go and buy some of the products you guys have suggested.

[EDIT:] Ok so my shave today went good, I didn't put pressure on the blade and the result is just as good.

I washed my head with antibacterial soap right after so shaved and then put on some Bald Guyz moisturizer. I've been thinking of different things that will help me get rid of the irritation I already have. Wouldn't neosporine work? I'll put some on on a little bit and see how it'll work.

I used Schick Hydro for sensitive skin and it was good. I'f the neosporine doesn't work than I'll try to get some Headslick and some Nivea aftershave. If nothing seems to work I'll have to start shaving every other day.

Thanks again everyone. :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:20:57 PM by BaldBradley »

BaldBradley

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 03:24:03 PM »
Here is a picture of the back of my head, washing my head with soap does seem to help, but my head looks worse after using Bald Guyz moisturizer. :(

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »
I get the best results for that type of irritation from Nivea Sensitive Skin After Shave Balm. Maybe something with aloe would be helpful?

Here is a picture of the back of my head, washing my head with soap does seem to help, but my head looks worse after using Bald Guyz moisturizer. :(

A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Enter your email address: