Author Topic: I can't decide..  (Read 9188 times)

Offline ShadeSocks

• Sly Guy in Training
I can't decide..
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:06:30 PM »
I still have a lot of hair but it's still noticeably receded for a 19 year old. I feel like it would be a shame to shave it off now since I'm going to someday down the line. But I also think that I should enjoy the hair I do have while I still have it. And then the other part of me says screw hair! I just feel too young to be bald... Gah.

What to do..

BaldBradley

Re: I can't decide..
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »
Give it a shot, I was the same way before I went sly. Think of it this way if you don't like it, the hair will grow back. It should only take a few weeks to get your hair back to its normal length. (judging by your picture I would say you normally have your hair kind of short. It should only take 2-3 weeks to grow it back)

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »
You seem to be a bit confused... bald doesn't happen to you, you GET to be bald!  :*))

Seriously, you will only know how great it is by trying it.  As much as you try to imagine, you'll never even be close!  ;)

I can grow a full head of hair but unless I'm in a coma, that ain't ever gonna happen!  O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

BaldBradley

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:41:11 PM »
Seriously, you will only know how great it is by trying it.  As much as you try to imagine, you'll never even be close!  ;)

Nicely put,  O0

There is no way to describe the feeling of water hitting your head after shaving. 8)

Offline ShadeSocks

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »
This all sounds major bad ass now. It's so cool having you guys respond to me directly now instead of just lurking the forums. Haha! I'm not doing anything interesting with this hair anyway. If I styled it I guess that would be a different story.

Time to be bold!

BaldBradley

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »
This all sounds major bad ass now. It's so cool having you guys respond to me directly now instead of just lurking the forums. Haha! I'm not doing anything interesting with this hair anyway. If I styled it I guess that would be a different story.

Time to be bold!

No problem bud, be sure to post before and after pics O0

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:43:33 AM »
Do it! ;D
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
Personally, My way of thinking--I had rather be bald than balding.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »
You've got choices, so try sly  for 30 days then you'll know what it is.  Then try a buzz for a time.  The only thing that really doesn't go with thinning hair is long, and by long that's anything much over half an inch.  So try out the ultra short, and everything else--you'll get comfortable with it quickly, that's a promise.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
Once the hairline has receded beyond a certain point -- and from your photo, it looks like you may have reached that point -- it's not really possible to "enjoy" your hair anymore.  At that point you're better off being bald, even if you're only 19.  Otherwise, you'll look back someday and wonder why you put up with the awkwardness of MPB for so long.  Balding is not a choice; bald is a choice.  You'll look and feel a lot better once your hair is gone.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:54:46 AM »
Once the hairline has receded beyond a certain point -- and from your photo, it looks like you may have reached that point -- it's not really possible to "enjoy" your hair anymore.  At that point you're better off being bald, even if you're only 19.  Otherwise, you'll look back someday and wonder why you put up with the awkwardness of MPB for so long.  Balding is not a choice; bald is a choice.  You'll look and feel a lot better once your hair is gone.

Have to agree with Razor. He said it best ... you've definitely reached that point, ShadeSocks. Go for it!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »
Go for it  - -it always grows back if you do not like it  - - - -Most of us are sorry we did not do it  years before 

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
Go for it dude!  You're young! Make a statement with your looks!!  Experiment a bit with your personality.  It's just hair.  You can grow it back in a short time.  Enjoy the moment!!!  O0  The sly look will look awesome with you face hair too!!!  You'll be amazed at the folks that will be attracted to you too!!  ;)

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
I regret I didn't shave my head when I was younger.
go on, you'll like it.

Offline oldkookskater

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 10:30:53 PM »
It's hard at your age; I was there.  My hair started falling out when I was 17.  It was slow at first; I noticed only a few years ago that my hairline from my senior pictures the summer of 1988 to a family picture in mid 1989 had slid upward a bit.  I used to have a low hairline and so much hair that the girl at the place I got my hair cut would run her fingers through it and tell me how wonderful it was and I'd "never ever lose this hair; it was there for good."  I'm glad I never had her place any bets for me... ;D

By the time I was 21, I dated a girl that said she couldn't love anyone that went bald and would bug out over the slightest bit of thinning on the crown.  I was 23 when I met my wife; she was cool with it and one day before we were married, told me it was thin.  I worried about it incessantly and it really bugged me a lot - even though she was cool with it.  I had a job I hated at 25 and quit and shaved my head with a number 8 attachment (at the time, to me this was a shave!).  My wife freaked because she hated the look, but she got used to it.  I eventually tried to grow out what I had left and it just looked stupid; even my wife commented on how bad it looked (but she said it so sweetly that it didn't hurt).  I had also gained about 60 lbs.  I got back to skating (skateboarding), have dropped about 30 lbs (have about 30 more to go) and eventually shaved my head to the skin.  I've got some imperfections in my dome, but whatever.  Everyone does.  I've seen a lot of imperfect domes clean-shaven at church and around town.  It's all good.  I've had one friend - another skater - ask me why I shaved my head.  I've got another buddy who's dome is pretty slick but he keeps a few strands long and has a funky hairstyle... whatever.  Just roll with it.  He's married and his wife doesn't seem to mind his style.  One other guy I know is also losing his hair, too.  He won't cut it off but just wears hats. 

Find what's comfortable for you.  You can change 1,000 times if you need.  If you're feeling adventurous - shave it off and see how it goes.  If not, get there in steps.  I went from an 8 to 4 to 2 to a 1 to no guard to blades and back again.  I've experimented with my hair growth combined with huge sideburns to full beard.  My wife prefers a bit of fuzz on top... maybe 'cos my melon is so freaking huge and I was so overweight, but it's still all good. 

Honestly, people won't necessarily notice a shaved head.  They're going to notice how you carry yourself.  If you carry yourself like you think you're less of a man for MPB, then they're going to think that.  If you carry yourself like you're gonna gives someone a beat down, they're going to steer clear.  If you carry yourself like you don't have any cares about what all these people think, they're going to probably be drawn to you to find out why you're so cool.
rob