Author Topic: Must have for my first sly ever!  (Read 13679 times)

Offline Miguel Santos

• Sly Jr.
Must have for my first sly ever!
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:58 AM »
Hi guys!

I’ve joined this forum because of my well developed MPB. After the feedback I got here and after seeing a couple of topics I decided that it was really enough! It’s time to move on!

I’m now doing a list of must have things before shaving, but will need some help here.

My list so far:

1 - Headblade sport

2 - Accessory Kit TripleBlade

3 - Headslick Shaving Gel

4 - St Ives Apricot scrub or something similar.

5 - HeadLube "Glossy" for a shiny look.

6 - Shaving brush.

7 - Astringent lotion after rise with cold water

8 - Hydrocortizone lotion

9 - Anti-acne soap
I’m thinking about shaving first WTG and then slowly moving to ATG, this way maybe I can avoid some irritation.
Other than that, so far I’ve learnt here that taking a hot shower will help on the shaving and the end putting some cold water on the end, so definitely will do it.

Hope to get your advice guys!

Cheers!
Miguel Santos
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:28:11 AM by Miguel Santos »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Must have for my first sly ever!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:06:05 AM »
Well looks like you've got a plan.  The Headslick Shaving creme is first rate, although I don't use the Headblade, I find my M5 or Fusion is easier for me.  Lots of the guys use the Apricot scrub, but I prefer a loofpha pad---no liquid component to add to my packing when I fly.  I use a shaving brush, not on your list, to apply the Headslick.  I find it feels good and works up a great lather.  I have super sensitive bad skin--a full employment act for dermatologists!  I have found that an astringent--I use hydrogen peroxide--after rinsing w/ cold water helps keep the skin clear followed by a mix of benzoyl peroxide and hydrocortizone lotions keeps any pimple and red spot issues at bay.  A mild anti-acne soap for that newly cleaned dome will help too, and wash that peach at least twice a day--no hair at all anymore between you and the dirt and grime in the world. 
Then hot shower and take your time--you will speed up with practice quickly--but at first take your time enjoy it. 
You are really going to like this, we promise!

Offline Miguel Santos

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
Hello sir!

Thank you very much for your advices.  O0

I've edited the list, it is getting bigger.

I've saw here in the forum people talking about Shave Secret oil, is there any other generic oil available at pharmacies or something?

Cheers!
Miguel

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
Well you got enough stuff to shave an army. Only kidding , you may not need ,at least at first all your items, a razor and cream would be a good start.But your certainly well prepared , good luck going sly. O0
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 01:29:58 PM »
Way to go!!! O0

You are more than prepared...and with practice and some trial/error, you will find your perfect recipe for SLYness!!! 8)

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:57:59 PM »
Well, if you REALLY want to grow the list, you need a couple of witnesses and someone who is good with a video camera.  :/O Next you might want to line up a couple of women who really appreciate bald heads.  ::) Finally, have a "coming out" party at a nearby bar or club.  O0

OK, I'm kidding, just kidding!  All you need is to have your head buzzed with no guard, wet your head in a nice warm shower, put on some good shaving cream or gel, and get a good razor with a new blade...and take...your...time!  Don't rush it! O0

You don't need a lot of stuff!  Don't complicate it! 8)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:04:56 AM by Nonick »

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 11:40:16 PM »
Welcome aboard Miguel!  O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline junglephone

• Drummer / Producer / Composer
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 06:40:43 AM »
Congratulations! You're really gonna dig this.

Like the fellas say, TAKE YOUR TIME. Rushing the shave is just asking for cuts. Leave yourself enough time to TAKE your time.

The HeadBlade stuff didn't work for me because I seemed to be allergic to it. The HB itself was something I couldn't use without cutting myself twice a week. I now use the Schick Hydro 5 razor and Hydro gel for sensitive skin. This combo works great and no more cuts or allergic reactions. Follow up with witch hazel or Pinaud if I want the scent. Occasionally use L'Oreal after shave balm or clear aloe gel to sooth the dome and break up the astringent routine. In the shower beforehand, Neutrogena pre-shave scrub or scrub with salicylic acid to exfoliate and control zits.

It will take a while to "learn" your head. Be patient. I know now where I can go against the grain and where I can't because of irritation. I know where all the divots are and where I need to be careful. I'm getting faster too. These things take time.

Most of all, have fun! Enjoy yourself and be proud.

Offline RayzorBlade

• Sly Jr.
  • Shave Your Dome
    • Rayzor Blade
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:58:59 AM »
I don't think I've ever put that much thought into anything I've ever done. I'm more spur of the moment kinda guy. Sounds like you've got everything you need. Good Luck.

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:09:58 AM »

My list so far:

1 - Headblade sport

2 - Accessory Kit TripleBlade

3 - Headslick Shaving Gel

4 - St Ives Apricot scrub or something similar.

5 - HeadLube "Glossy" for a shiny look.

6 - Shaving brush.

7 - Astringent lotion after rise with cold water

8 - Hydrocortizone lotion

9 - Anti-acne soap

Hope to get your advice guys!

Cheers!
Miguel Santos

Welcome to the SBG Forum, Miguel!

To answer your question about shaving oils, King of Shaves also makes a great shaving oil as an alternative to Shave Secret, but they are BOTH Excellent!!! You can find a few KoS products on store shelves (in many retail outlets) but the majority of their products are listed here ---> (http://www.shave.com)

HeadBlade also has a complete line to keep your newly shaved melon in tip-top shape. HB product line can also be found in many retail outlets or online ---> (http://www.headblade.com)

Fact of the matter is that there is as many product recommendations here as there are members. What works wonderful for some may not exactly be the cat's meow for others, due to skin sensitivity issues, product availability in your area, etc.
You have to experiment a little and see what works best for your skin type.

As time goes by, you will undoubtedly personalize a routine that works BEST FOR YOU, along with the product brand that gives you the ultimate results you are searching for.

But judging my your current list, I totally agree that you are off to a Sensational Start!!

If I may suggest one other item to add to your entourage, buy a small hand-held mirror (from the Dollar Stores) so that you can shave in the shower instead of the sink. You will achieve a much better end result, and the mirror helps you guide the razor where it needs to be, so you're not going at this with a blind eye and turn yourself into a Van Gough!!

Take care, and once again- Welcome to the Forum.

- Cap'n Noodles -
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:40:06 AM by Noodles »

Offline Miguel Santos

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 08:58:03 AM »
Hi guys!

Thank you all for your messages.

Well… I was secretly trying to open a bald shop ahah :p

I’m now about to order the Headblade and the Headslick, I think it will take around 2 weeks to arrive, so I have plenty of time to prepare myself. I was about to do it yesterday but then I though “well you don’t have a decent razor, so don’t do it, if you want to do it, do it right”.

2 more weeks with hair and I’m done. I’m hoping to do it in a Saturday morning when I can take your advices and take my time doing it, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, it doesn’t matter. I know I will have a lot of fun doing it and especially after leaving the bathroom and showing it to the world :D

I’m having fun just imagining their faces hehe I think it will be a big shock for everyone, especially for some friends who are not expecting me to shave my head, but in the end of the day I know they will support me, in the very few days they will joke around it, but then again, what’s friends for? hehe I’ll be in shock as well but as I know since a long time ago that this is my destiny it will be just a matter of a minute or 2, take a deep breath and welcome the new me :D

Without any doubt I will take photos or even film it then will share with you guys!

Once again thank you all!

Cheers!
Miguel

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 10:50:23 AM »
For a first time shaver, IMO I would not recommend using the HeadBlade.It is so easy to slice your head it takes some experience to use safely, just read some of the post. Once your use to a regular razor then give the HB a trial.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline TK4108

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »
For a first time shaver, IMO I would not recommend using the HeadBlade.It is so easy to slice your head it takes some experience to use safely, just read some of the post. Once your use to a regular razor then give the HB a trial.

+1 I'll second that... :-\

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
You're well supplied, in the "belt and suspenders" sense.  I imagine you will find that you need very little for a satisfactory result after some trial and error.  As I've said before, head shaving is not cosmetic surgery... it's shaving.  For me, a standard razor (I'll not repeat how ancient a one I use) and a cheap cream work just fine.  When I'm feeling feisty, a touch of Headlube to give it that "shine."  That's it: two things required; one thing optional.

Offline Miguel Santos

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »
Hum... you guys just want me to shave it earlier!!! hehehe :p

Well, I will accept your advice and try first with a regular razor first. So it will be next Saturday.

Cheers!
Miguel