Author Topic: Just took the plunge after 10 years of living a lie  (Read 33980 times)

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
Re: Just took the plunge after 10 years of living a lie
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
Well, what can I say? The sky didn't fall on my head or the earth gape open to swallow me up, but today has been pretty rough. The jokes, stares, laughs, and straight up insults that I got today rank right up there with the first week of boot camp - except then everyone had their heads shaved. This is the path that I have chosen, however, and no matter how tough I will not stray from it. People get used to anything eventually.
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »
This is the path that I have chosen, however, and no matter how tough I will not stray from it. People get used to anything eventually.
O0  That is a great attitude--it is, in the final analysis, your comfort being who and what you are and how you present yourself to the world. 

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »

Thank you for your words of encouragement. All of you have been very helpful in getting me through this fist day. It should be all downhill from here.

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
Jack you look great.  Nice job taking the plunge.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »
Best "hair-style" choice ever, mate ! Well-done & welcome to the "gang" .
BaldBill

Troy

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
Good job.  The first sly appearance can be rough, as you experienced today, but when you feel good about yourself all the other comments start being insignificant. 

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
Well, what can I say? The sky didn't fall on my head or the earth gape open to swallow me up, but today has been pretty rough. The jokes, stares, laughs, and straight up insults that I got today rank right up there with the first week of boot camp - except then everyone had their heads shaved. This is the path that I have chosen, however, and no matter how tough I will not stray from it. People get used to anything eventually.

In a few days all the '' teasing'' will stop,thats all it is. You look great so keep it sly and proud. 8)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:36:33 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Baldman

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald and Chargin!
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 06:08:47 PM »
Being bald is amazing, I am sure you will love it. But yes stubble comes back very fast! O0
-Live Bald and Prosper

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »
 I swear by everything holy that two hours after shaving my head with a Mach 3 there was already dark shadow. It was freaky- like watching those plants whose growth is shown in fast forward on nature shows. Getting rid of shadow completely is not something I'm going to obsess about though. I spent the past 5 years obsessing with paint, powder, and then a rug. This is about freedom and authenticity for me. A little shadow is not the end of the world, but the amazing run I was able to go on today was like being reborn. Because of all the stuff in my hair I hadn't been able to go on a real, all out, long, sweaty run in ages. Then I came home and did some weight training, pouring sweat. Finally I got into a real shower. A real shower! It was like heaven. For years I haven't been able to take long, hot, real showers and really get my head and face clean. Right now I feel like a million dollars. Instead of spending my life in misery just so I could look "presentable" at work, I can now look forward every day at work to my runs and workouts. Exercise has been the real lofe of my life for as long as I can remember, but with that stuff in my hair I was highly restricted - I could barely let myself break a sweat. Now I can get back into all the things that I used to love - running, weight training, boxing. I am so excited about getting back into boxing I can't even begin to explain. This is like a day of rebirth for me.

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 07:06:40 PM »
And, thank you all for your support. You guys have been a great support. I cannot thank you enough.

Offline Baldman

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald and Chargin!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »
Did you shave with the grain or against it? 2 hours seems pretty fast to already have a dark shadow unless you didnt feel hair still. But hair does grow back very fast.
-Live Bald and Prosper

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »
I did not shave against the grain. I don't shave my face against the grain as I get bad ingrown hairs. That would go some way towards explaining it - that and it was a bit longer than two hours. I woke up at nine, looked at my rug sitting on the counter, threw it in the trash, and then took a clippers to my head w/o a guard. After that I shaved forward and down, not going against the grain. By the time I took the picture it was yesterday afternoon. It must have been more like 5 or 6 hours than 2 now that I think about it. It was still shocking though, but I am a guy who has to shave again in the evening if I am going out. Why is it that we baldies always seem to have so much hair on our faces? I have the worst of both worlds. I am of Italian and Jewish heritage. I don't mean to offend anyone. I am proud of my heritage even if it did give me a hairy face and a bald head.

Did you shave with the grain or against it? 2 hours seems pretty fast to already have a dark shadow unless you didnt feel hair still. But hair does grow back very fast.

Offline erutan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »
wow, I had no idea you were a teacher as well, Jack.  Okay, both our experiences will be VERY similar.    Many on staff still want me to "grow" my hair back.  They still think it was my hair.  I'm glad today's over so I can get on with being ME.

I wasn;t able to go back to taekwondo in the summer becaus eof my plans to get my system.   Now that's it's over and done with I can work towards my black belt again.  My system is still on my dresser top.  I look at it and think of the horrible $800.00 learning experience.  We will come out stronger because of this. O0

cheers

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 08:06:07 PM »
That is pretty uncanny. Yeah, one of the worst things is both students and fellow teachers telling me to just grow it back (b/c obviously I can't). I know that we will come out stronger because of this - and save a whole lot of money. I am not a money obsessed guy, but those rugs were damned expensive and were making it hard for me to make ends meet. Its great that we can now get back to those activities we love but were prevented from doing b/c of the rugs. If you haven't gone for a good long run yet, I'm telling you it was bliss. I can't wait to get back into the boxing ring this Saturday. I don't have any illusions about being any good anymore - too old and slow, but I don't care. I just want to get in there and hit the bag for a couple of hours. I can't believe what I sacrificed to stay looking "acceptable" in that terrible toupee. I was hoping that at least someone would say "Good for you for getting rid of the toupee. Jack", but nobody did. Anyway, I'm trying to stay focused on the positives of which there are many.

wow, I had no idea you were a teacher as well, Jack.  Okay, both our experiences will be VERY similar.    Many on staff still want me to "grow" my hair back.  They still think it was my hair.  I'm glad today's over so I can get on with being ME.

I wasn;t able to go back to taekwondo in the summer becaus eof my plans to get my system.   Now that's it's over and done with I can work towards my black belt again.  My system is still on my dresser top.  I look at it and think of the horrible $800.00 learning experience.  We will come out stronger because of this. O0

cheers

Offline Baldman

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald and Chargin!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »
I will say that at first I did not shave my head against the grain either. When I first stared shaving my face I would go with the grain on my face then on my neck against the grain and after a while I had to stop going against the grain on my neck and was able to go against the grain on my face. I have to say I think it took me a week or two to start going against the grain but I would not have it any other way. It gets super smooth and I have not had any problems with ingrown hairs so maybe you should try it but that is up to you.
-Live Bald and Prosper