Author Topic: Rock on!  (Read 2115 times)

Offline HighTopFade

• Sly Guy in Training
Rock on!
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
So hey there, guys!

I'm pretty excited for finding a forum like this. I've been reading the forums and you guys are super cool, laid-back and totally helpful. It's a been a long time coming (two years) since I realized that I really was balding. It sucked so much because I was only 20 and I absolutely loved my afro. Looking back it's irritating because I suffered from extreme acne as a teen and, once that calmed down, then I started losing my hair!

I started just buzzing the hell out of my head with no clippers. That was fine and dandy until about this March when it became insanely noticeable.

I'm really lacking in the confidence department because I consider myself so young when the average person considers when the typical male starts balding and when you might expect it. It's totally weird because my mother nor my father's family members suffer from it.

At first, I thought it was a receding hairline but then the back (the vertex?) went out on me, too.

I shaved my head once (this June) and it was a total pain in the ass. Since I'm mixed-Mulatto as some might say-I got these tiny red bumps all over the nape of my neck/head. Some of them even turned into whiteheads. (Ingrown hairs?) Talk about a painful experience!

So yeah, even being on this forum for the few minutes has injected some confidence in me. I mean, I think the total openness of some of you guys who have yourself in your avatars completely proves my point: you guys are confident, humble, and inspiring.

Anyways, I can't wait til I'm in my skin and worrying about baldness is a thing of the past. Really looking for ways and tips to shave properly to avoid those red bumps again.

Sorry for the novella but you guys rock!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
Re: Rock on!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:57:11 PM »
Welcome aboard.

A very close black brother of mine calls those red bumps "the brother's curse".  He says, due to the nature of the tight curls, a black man has a greater chance of ingrown hair etc. when shaving very close.  He tells me he can't use the HeadBlade at all.  He shaves with the grain and doesn't go for a super close shave.  That saves him having skin issues.  He also doesn't use any kind of greasy or oily stuff on his scalp but uses witch hazel after the shave and Neutrogena for Men.

Even if you don't have tight curly hair, maybe his method might work for you.

Hope that helps some.  O:O

Sarge
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:00:31 PM by Sgt. Pate »

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
Good to have you here man!  

It really is draining to always be worrying about your hair, and shaving it off solves this by removing the "problem"!  As far as the red bumps go, there are plenty of threads around here about shaving techniques and skin care that should help out.  Shaving should always be enjoyable!

"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
Welcome HighTop,

Welcome to the SBG forum.

In addition to the advice given to you by the members thus far, maybe a recommendation of products by a dermatologist can help control (if not totally eliminate) the outbreak of those little red bumps.

Even if outbreaks of this sort may be common among your race/skin type, there has to be some sort of solution, somehow, somewhere. You may even find some helpful solutions by "GOOGLE-ING" the issue and see the many articles, product recommendations etc that are listed online. Some of the members here, who may have had dealt with the same issues in the past, may see your post and share remedies they have used and acheived success with.

There are many men of color who seem to have acheived a sensational, super smooth, clear, problem-free, no shadow look in whatever method(s) they have chosen to go (what I refer to as) "super sly". It may be something as simple as a total hair remover product made strictly for men of color, or it could be methods that are a bit more involved, yet yield longer-lasting smooth results!!

Once again, Welcome to the SBG family.

O0 I GUARANTEE you're gonna' like it here!!

- Cap'n Noodles -

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:38:08 AM by Noodles »

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

You'll find a lot of good advice and all your answers here... O0

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a number of threads here on the "bumps" problem and how the sly guys deal with it.  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »
Welcome to SBG!

Nice avatar, though I'm suspecting you're not Grace Jones, are you? 8)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline HighTopFade

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
@ Sgt. Pate,

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Yeah, I definitely steer clear of the oily skin products. It was something I learned way back with my "acne" phase. I just shaved my head last night and thoroughly slathered this product called "BumpStopper" made for men who experience razor bumps. SO FAR (a day later/tonight), I am not in extreme discomfort like I was when I first shaved my head. So it looks so good so far.

@ BillOnBass,

Thanks man. Honestly, the process of shaving doesn't take too long (I definitely take my time and take care while shaving). It's just the razor bumps that scared me away for so long (get them occasionally on my neck/chin area). When I shaved tonight, I definitely felt a little more confident while doing it. Day 2 of 30!

@ Noodles,

Thanks for the warm welcome and thorough advice! I've definitely Google'd the problem when it occurred back in June. I was so insecure/embarrassed I almost called in to work four days to allow the bumps heal!

And I definitely want that super smooth feel because I just prefer it in general. Plus, it helps hide my crazy high Norwood level (whatever it is!).

@ Arnie,

I completely agree! I really feel like signing up here was not necessary because everyone is so helpful and thorough with their answers. I just feel like you guys are folks I totally mess with.

@ ozzie,

Thanks! I definitely have loaded up with info. I'm gonna start looking into actually shaving techniques.

@ The Noggin,

Ahahahahaa! OMG, man... I seriously love her look. I wish I could grow a high top fade because I most certainly would! I'm very punk-rock and casually try to be different/stand out. I'm an attention whore but not one of "those" attention whores who make "being different" some sort of lifestyle!

Thanks guys, for the warm welcome.

I am on Day 2 of 30! ! !

marty22

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »
glad 2 have u here....