Author Topic: 21 days in, Need some help.  (Read 4534 times)

Dave258

21 days in, Need some help.
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
So as the title says, I am 21 days in.  Actually Monday was 21 days.  I have not shaved my head the past 2 days.  I love my bald dome!!!  I think my wife is surprised that I am actually shaving it every day.  I think she is used to it.
Problem is, the back of my neck still gets sooooo irritated.  It didn't happen at first, but by the forth or fifth day, it flared up.  I don't know what to do, I was going to give it a couple of days to calm down.
I read through the routine thread, and mine is just like alot of them there.  Shower shave, first I use head wash, then wash every where else.  Then head shed on head and face, head slick, shave with headblade tripple blade.  One pass against the grain then check for missed spots.  Pat my head dry.  Apply clear head let dry, then I use either head lube 30 spf or head lube matte.  I even have the head wipes to use now and then. 
I do not get any irritation any where else on my head except back of my neck.  Anyone else go through this?  What helped?
Thanks guys!
Dave

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: 21 days in, Need some help.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:51:05 AM »
As much as I hate to say this, I'm honestly not too sure what it could be. Trying to think back I haven't experienced this personally, but as many members as we have here, I wouldn't be surprised if someone chimes in here soon.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:08:07 AM »
As much as I hate to say this, I'm honestly not too sure what it could be. Trying to think back I haven't experienced this personally, but as many members as we have here, I wouldn't be surprised if someone chimes in here soon.
What he said...

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
Treat it like a troubleshooting problem.

Did you do anything at all different in those first couple days when you didn't have irritation?  New detergent on your sheets?  New hat?  Anything different about anything that touches your head?

Look at your process.

Change your process one step at a time.

Try not using Headshed.

Try a different shave creme.

Try different after shave treatments/lotions.

It could be something as simple as an allergy.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 01:28:55 PM »
I used to get alot of irritation. I eventually realized that I could only shave 2-3 times a week and stopped using so much crap on my head. My routine is to shower shave, rinse with water only to start, then use headslick and M5 razor front to back, rinse, re-lather, back to front, search for missed spots. Exfoliate with St. Ives, then rinse. I use Clean & Clear anitbacterial face wash as the last step. At night I used to wash my head with soap and water but now only use water. Seems to have cleared up my breakouts. Like the other guys said, it's kinda try and find what works for you. (oh, and I wash my pillow cases at least once a week)
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Dave258

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:02:06 PM »
Treat it like a troubleshooting problem.

Did you do anything at all different in those first couple days when you didn't have irritation?  New detergent on your sheets?  New hat?  Anything different about anything that touches your head?

Look at your process.

Change your process one step at a time.

Try not using Headshed.

Try a different shave creme.

Try different after shave treatments/lotions.

It could be something as simple as an allergy.
Thanks.  Come to think of it, the head shed and the clear head I did not use for the first week as they were being shipped to me.  I used witch hazel (an expired bottle at that) after my shower.  How many things would you change at once, and how long would you give it before doing something else?

I used to get alot of irritation. I eventually realized that I could only shave 2-3 times a week and stopped using so much crap on my head. My routine is to shower shave, rinse with water only to start, then use headslick and M5 razor front to back, rinse, re-lather, back to front, search for missed spots. Exfoliate with St. Ives, then rinse. I use Clean & Clear anitbacterial face wash as the last step. At night I used to wash my head with soap and water but now only use water. Seems to have cleared up my breakouts. Like the other guys said, it's kinda try and find what works for you. (oh, and I wash my pillow cases at least once a week)
You exfoliate after shaving?  I do it before.  what is right?
Thanks guys

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:58:17 PM »
Use the scrub before shaving is the general way. Try not shaving the back ATG for awhile give the skin a chance to heal. It takes sometime for your scalp to ajust to shaving.Also useing a scrub every time is to much in m.o.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »
(oh, and I wash my pillow cases at least once a week)
This can't be overlooked as well as washing that newly slicked dome a couple of times a day--remember there's nothing between the grime of the world and your skin.  If you go to a gym put a towel over the equipment so your skin isn't in direct contact--you don't know what's on the equipment surfaces.  And if you wear hats, do you clean those as well--all the sweat etc. gets pretty nasty.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 12:46:02 PM »
All good advice here. Timmer's approach, while time-consuming, is an excellent method. Our individual body chemistry dictates what we will react too. I used Headlube for a short while until I discovered that my skin reacted to some ingredient or other. I, too broke out in bumps. Stopped using Headlube. Bumps went away. Immediately.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »
As far as shaving I'd be sure to go with the grain for a while and not try to get perfectly smooth where the irritation is.  Ease up on any harsh chemicals and avoid any kind of greasy or oily head after shave.  Maybe look at some Nivea for Men Extreme Comfort Post Shave Balm.  

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
i use to have that problem in the neck area. I started using King of Shave Oil and that has helped to eliminate the irritation. After a hot shower, apply some KOS to the scalp and then apply shaving cream on top of that. Just take it slow with the shaving. Good luck.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
I'll get the back-of-the-neck-blues too if I shave every day. Since altering my routine to shave every other day, it hasn't been an issue.

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »
I have to shave twice a day to keep my scalp as smooth and clear as in the photo here, and in the beginning, I too, suffered from quite a bit of neck irritation. I would finish my routine with a soothing after shave balm and ultimately, that helped tremendously.

Oh, and when shaving the back of the neck, I would only go WITH THE GRAIN, NEVER AGAINST!!

Shaving twice a day may seem like overkill, I admit, but it's the only way I can keep things "bone close".

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 10:07:14 PM »
I noticed after a month or so of shaving that I had red irritation on the back of my head from shaving.  It was worse after shaving and would really subside throughouth the day to something that was barely noticeable.   I tried EVERYTHING, well not everything, but many different products, razors, routines, etc, and nothing worked.   I saw my doctor a few days ago about something else and at the end of the visit I asked him about the redness on the back of my head.  He said it was a birth mark.  Both of my boys were born with "stork bites" on the back of their necks and apparently that is what I have.  The shaving irritates the skin a little and makes it more noticeable.  It's a relief-sort of- that it is something that I just have to live with and I can stop worrying about it.  I wonder if this could be the case for you?

Enter your email address: