Author Topic: Musicians in or near Portland Oregon?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
Musicians in or near Portland Oregon?
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »
I am putting out a call to musicians in the Portland, OR. area that I am looking to start a brand new music project. if you, or someone you know plays music in or near Portland please pass along this link: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/muc/1988724988.html 

The ad goes like this:

Hi, I'm a 36 year old eclectic, eccentric percussionist with an idea. I'm looking to see what kind of interest I can stir up from the local musical weirdos of the greater Portland Area. I assure you, this is a serious idea and I am serious about pursuing it. There is an audience out there for a spooky band that's willing to do the work and lean into the gimmick. Let's do this.

I want to put together a horror themed jug/stomp/rag/holler band. Imagine Dr. Demento recording Baron Von Goolo, Elvira, Uncle Eerie and the Munsters having a drunken jam session with Tom Waits in the Davis Graveyard. That's the basic concept. Spooky, creepy, campy, silly, funny (but good) music. I'm thinking make-up, costumes, characters a bit of vaudeville, the whole shebang.

I've got over 20 years experience playing and performing music. I've played in a bunch of bands, performed on over a dozen albums over the years and this is an idea I've wanted to act on for quite a while now. I play hand percussion and snare as well as an assortment of rhythmbones and spoons as well as washboard. I also sing a bit. I'm open to playing with pretty much any assortment of instruments provided they are played by the right people. Accordion? Musical Saw? Bass (Gutbucket or standup)?, Steel Guitar?, Cello?, Coronet?, Theramin?... just about anything goes (acoustic is better for guerrilla playing). I'm open to ideas and looking for like-minded weirdos to help make a mark on Portland.

I figure to start out covering the likes of Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Bobby 'Boris' Pickett, Rasputina, Capt. Clegg & The Night Creatures, Creature Feature, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, etc., as well as traditional murder ballads and funerary music... anything creepy (or that can be made creepy) and fun and then move on to writing original stuff. I'm thinking both atmospheric instrumental music as well as show pieces.

I live in Gladstone, but I'm fully mobile (pick up truck), Some equiptment (mics/cords) and space to practice in or I can come to you.

If this little project sounds like fun, drop me a line and lets talk about it. Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you soon.

You can find me online at:
http://www.facebook.com/folkdrummer

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Musicians in or near Portland Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »
Vash, good luck on finding some people to join up with!  Let us know if you put something together.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.