Author Topic: Goatee Q  (Read 3878 times)

Offline junglephone

• Drummer / Producer / Composer
  • Sly Jr.
Goatee Q
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
I'm what one might call an "intermittent goateer."  ??? Every couple of years I grow one but the same thing always happens: chin itch. Now I'm not talking about the itch that happens in the first month. I'm talking about the fully established goat. It always gets bad and then I shave it off. What is revealed is a very red and irritated chin. I'm wondering if anyone knows the cause and if there is a product that will penetrate the super dense hair to sooth the skin underneath. I've tried hair conditioner but it doesn't work.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:07:06 PM by junglephone »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Goatee Q
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »
It could be a "dandruff" like response.  I find that I'll get some flaking at times, and so about twice a week I use an anti-dandruff shampoo and it never develops.  It's a thought.  Also, I use shampoo and conditioner, not soap to clean the chin mitten--regular soap is very harsh and hard to completely rinse out if you've got any length at all. 

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »
I agree with SaintC....I had some drying and flaking years ago until I washed the goat completely-- meaning RINSED completely, also...Here is a big one---I also let it DRY completely before I went to my daily tasks....never had a problem since.  Hope this can be decent advice for you, man!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Try keeping that rascal a little shorter........ easier maintenance.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Smooth_Operator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:20 PM »
I sport the Mr. Clean look now, but before I went sly I was an intermittent goateer/beardie, too.  Like Saintc I'd shampoo it with Head and Shoulders a couple times a week (warning... tastes awful) and brush it with a stiff boar hair brush.  Seemed to do the trick.

Offline Coltsfan73

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »
My beard/goatee is pretty thick and has a curl to it. I used to get a horrible itchy/irritaded skin under the chin and at the base of my stache area kinda.  I was told that is because moisture was pooling there from my cheeks and therefore sat up against the skin and irritated it to a miserable point. Moisture rich conditioners only added to the problem (duh)... it wasn't until I actually dried my goatee/beard with a hairdryer that the problem went away. So now, no matter what length I decide to keep the beard/goatee... I dry it and have NO issues what-so-ever.

Good luck.

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »
coltsfan that is one massive face blanket you got there
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline SlyintheOC

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:53:35 PM »
I used to have a flaky spot under my goatee. I use Bluebeard's Original Beard Shampoo and their conditioner called Beard Saver. It has aloe in it and I have found that it takes cares of the chin dandruff. Plus it makes your beard real soft. Hope this helps.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 02:16:59 AM »
I almost always had a goatee, even back when i had long hair. Now these days I let my goatee grow out and le my wife's beauician  trim it. She only charges me $3, bu my wife and her beautician have known each other since kindergarten. Therefore. she charges me only $3. I've never had the problem of flaky spos.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »
A good shampoo and a hair dryer solved those sorts of problems for me.

Offline Coltsfan73

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 08:07:24 AM »
Ha. Thanks Lordmage. It changes from time to time when I get bored with it.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »
I do get the occasional flaking. So every now and then I'll use the apricot scrub on my beard that I use for the noggin. Works great!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
Gents, I'm about 3 weeks into my first goatee!  Thanks for the awesome postings!!!  O0
I haven't had much itching or problems of any kind (knock on wood  :*)) - I crack me up)  ;D  but if I do, I know what to do!  O0
Is this an awesome site or what  YR*(k

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 01:41:43 AM »
I'm with you about the awesomeness, Nonick. Lots of help here.