Author Topic: ok my sly brothas  (Read 5352 times)

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
ok my sly brothas
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:04:29 AM »
yes as it happens when we all go sly. i want to better the rest of me. i have already quit smoking for over 8 months now. i am slowly walking around the office at work when i can varying the speed but that is only 3 nights a week just started tonite. i use the stairs always. i work 0000 hrs to 0800 hrs in an office environment and my misses needs to be up for work at 1430 hrs mind you i make her lunch and do the laundry as of late. small steps have been my key lately. when i get home is usually when i scrape my grape but it seems i can never get motivated enough to exercise or i start but do to much and burn out.

my current stats are 320 pounds 6 foot 7. a little heavy in the mid section "beer cut and i dont drink". the rest of me is a little loose and long. I dont drink sodas but twice a day starting to drink water more often when thirsty anyway. hunger pain is when i eat my meals. the portion size tends to be large but when i am done eating there is no seconds i am utterly full. most times my lunch is PB&J. i try not to eat one hour before i hit the sack at 1530 hrs.

Now here is the question in the time i do have at home during the week what do you think i could do to get off my A$$. i tend to become very lethargic during my drive home. yes i considered cycling to work but that would be way to fair out. 45 mins by car average speed limit 30 miles an hour.

I would love simple routines that even kids could do. my gym class never really covered things like dead lifts

Edit:for now i am simply increasing my fast walking at work.maybe next week ill go to the bench out side and start some dead lifts. maybe oneday buildup to lowreps at high weight
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:06:07 PM by lordmage »

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
Re: ok my sly brothas
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:08:58 AM »
Woot!  I quit smoking back on Halloween.  Started working out today myself. 
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »
Try something simple by walking 30 to 60 minutes a day.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »
Walking is the best exercise to get you started. 30 minutes a day is enough to make a major difference in your health. Losing 10% of your weight will reduce a lot of health issues. I wish you well. I know what it's like from experience.

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:10:07 AM »
Try replacing your snacks with more healthy snacks. Also try going for a walk around town for 30mins, or bike for 30mins(if you live intown.) Also do as many pushups/situps that you can do, if you can only do 5, than do 5. The next day try for 6 and than 7 and so on. Good luck man.  O0

An timmer good job at quitting smoking, I recently quit 6 weeks ago and feel much better.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline Dr.Mr.Ed

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
Walking, running and biking are all fine, but they build a different kind of muscle than weightlifting. They're also potentially boring as hell.

I have to recommend finding a decent personal training and start power lifting. I've been doing it for a few years now and sometimes walk past a mirror and don't recognize myself. (Of course, the newly bald head makes my self image even more out of whack.)

I see your profile says Baltimore, MD -- not too far from York, home of York Barbell and tons of power lifters.

It isn't cheap to get a trainer and is a much different kind of commitment than running/biking, but with literally 2 1-hour workouts per week, you can reset your metabolism, lose fat, build muscle and look like a totally different human in like 3 months. I'm pushing 40 and am in the best shape I've ever been, even when running 60+ miles/week in high school.

But seriously, doing anything is better than doing nothing :)
Sly since June 25, 2010.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:47:47 PM »
Try something simple by walking 30 to 60 minutes a day.

Tyler's right about walking particularly when you're starting out & a main goal is weight control.  I met a person this spring who had lost 100+ lbs., also a large guy, but he had let it sneak up on him--in the wine/food business where that is an occupational hazard.  He was walking several hours a day, nothing more and carefully counting his calories.  He was even working w/ wine, but the "sip & spit" tradition enabled him to work and still control calories.  Excess weight is one of the most dangerous conditions in America for health problems.  You're on the right track trying to get rid of it.  The other benefit from walking, not much equipment needed, just a bottle of water, good shoes and time, it's time that could save your life.