Author Topic: A request for HeadBlade  (Read 3696 times)

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
A request for HeadBlade
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »
Hopefully a HeadBlade rep will come across this post:

Last night, I bought a Sport model.  I'd been using a HB original.  First thing I noticed, of course, was that the sport was larger, and had a longer "Wheelbase", so to speak.
I found that this interfered slightly with the sport's ability to follow the various contours of my noggin as closely as the original model does.  (The increased width was cool tho)
So, to that end, I suggest a new model HeadBlade, this one as short or even shorter than the original, with a new twist:  a flexible middle.  It's why standard razors can pivot, after all, it facilitates the blades ability to negotiate the various  bumps, ridges, peaks, and valleys of the ol' bean.
I believe this is why some guys can't use a headblade;  if their head is less than perfectly "regular" or round, it can be a problem, and for these noggins, a traditional modern razor offers a better shave.
By having a HB that pivots not only at the razor, but also at the "waist", I think you'd have something!

I think something that looked wasp-like would be awesome, you know, with a skinny center that flexed or perhaps a hinge with a calculated amount of resistance for stability.
You guys already use the color scheme:  why not come out with models like, "The Bee", "The Wasp", or "The Hornet"?   Perhaps you wouldn't want your products associated with things that sting, but I think that'd be a minor worry if they're designed right.
The finger ring would be attached to the "thorax" part,, and the abdomen would be the part that slides along the skull in back, keeping a level reference point of sorts.

Whatcha think?

Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
Re: A request for HeadBlade
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »
Sounds like a great idea in theory. Perhaps you should delete this post and get to work on designing it and start your own company. Call it the BuZZ Blade.
"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
I've been unsing the HB Sport for over two years now. I have divots, gullies, scars and bumps on my head and the HB works great for me.
If you are a new user give it some time.... you will get better with it. If you're a long time user................ well I don't know........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »
@ Kojak - Nahhh, I haven't the resources or materials to do that.. besides, HB would probably sue me into oblivion for using their general idea!  (Hmm.. dunno if they have a patent, I didn't look..)

Mike,  I've been using an original HB for about a month, which works pretty well, the sport for just a day.. but I can tell right off the bat that the original better facilitates an uneven surface than the sport.

It's just simple physics:  cars with longer wheelbases have a longer turn radius than cars with shorter wheelbases. (The Y and Z axes) The same applies to the X axis, up/down.
That's why no one takes a Hummer stretch limousine 4 wheeling (unless they're nuts)  :)
I'm not saying the Sport is a "bad" product or not to use it or anything, I'm simply saying, if they can make one even better, than why not? Or even if it's just making different models to better accommodate different people and skulls.
There is always room for improvement - for anything.  Perfection is an abstract, nonexistent ideal.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
I'm not sure a hinge in the center would work very well since the center is where the pressure is supposed to be applied when using the HeadBlade.  If there's a hinge type of mechanism in the middle then you will be forced to apply pressure to the blade which results in bad things.  

The S4 is even slightly larger than the sport and it works WAY better for me than the Sport that does an excellent job.  I believe this is due to the extra weight.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »
Not a good idea imo, phigg. I have the same feeling as Tyler, and believe any type of break, or hinge as you say, is a recipe for disaster. The physics of the HB are just fine, and if you follow the instructions you have no problem. Pressure, light but steady, on the rear third of the HB.

I'm in the same camp with Mike, and feel if it works, then don't mess with it. For three years now, I have had nothing but great shaves with the HB Sport. You have to give it time and have a little patience. If you feel the HB Classic works better for you, then stick with that. One thing we find out here is that after much experimentation, you go with what works for you. Simple, yet true.   O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:10:28 PM »
I should add that I do think there is room for improvement.  I'm just not sure a hinge is where the improvement should be made.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline marcx

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
I would love a fusion adapter myself, but agree taht while the idea of flexing is nice, it would pose an issue as fas where the pressure is applied....

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
I would like to see a Mach 3 adapter, but now that I found my 4 blades for $1 that are exactly the same as the Original HeadBlade Triples, I'm good with blades.
I bought about a years worth of blades for around $10. :)

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:21:33 PM »
It's all in the engineering.
IMO, a decent usable implementation of this design depends on where the flex occurs, how much flex travel there is,  and how stiff the flex action is.
Absolutely, a new model such as I'm proposing shouldn't flex freely, which is why I said there should be a resistance to it.  I think a good amount of resistance would be just a hair more than the same amount of pressure used in keeping the HB close to your scalp. For most of your shave, it shouldn't need to flex -just those trouble areas that some of us have.

As to the position of the flex point, it should flex closer to the tail, definitely not directly under the finger ring. And it shouldn't flex very much, either.. just a bit.. maybe 15 degrees?.. just enough to give it a tiny bit of flexibility boost in those tight areas.

I made a quick'n'silly diagram to demonstrate the physics of using a shorter HB versus a longer one. 
It's way exaggerated but I wanted to make the point of long vs short.
Naturally, nobody's head is as curvy as this (I should hope!) but mine is pretty knobby up in the front. This is where I have the most trouble.
Obviously the longer ..umm.. "thingy" here is going to have more of a problem getting in and out of all those valleys than the shorter one.
I wish I could've animated it!

The possible problem is, if ya make it too short,  there's not enough distributed surface area and the pressure applied could be too concentrated:  a shaver is going to have to seriously watch his hand pressure.

In any case, the fact that many, many users here as well as other sly guys do not like the HB,  is to me, a further indication that is perhaps not forgiving enough for everyone; not that those guys are technique-challenged.

Even if I'm wrong about the idea:  if everyone always said, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", we'd never have have any advancement in technology or improvement in our quality of life.  There is always room for improvement.  Just because it works fine for this or that person doesn't mean it works as well for everyone else-  not all heads are equal.

Lastly, I wouldn't dare suggest discontinuing the other models, just have the new one and see how it fares.
Granted, I like and will continue to use my HB, but I'm not sure I'll use the Sport.. I'll try it again, but.. I felt like because of the angle forced on it by my head, it wanted to dig into the side of my forehead ridge.
As it is now, I'm using my HB for the top of my head, and some in back, but for the sides and those ridges, I'm using a Sensor or Mach 3. I can just get in there better.

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:09:47 AM »
For what it's worth, I used the Sport again this morning...  It's okay for the top, and the top half of the back (finally going ATG in back, yay - at least partway), but just a little too big for the sides , bottom of back of head,  and around the back of the ears.  I find using the original a tad easier, but a traditional razor even more simple and easy to manage in those areas. 
I might just try a traditional razor all around once and see how that goes, but I suspect I'll prefer a HB for the top at least.. just seems easier on that wide open "road".

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
I think you have a good concept and would mostly be beneficial to someone similar to you with dips and valleys, and may provide to be a better shaver all the way around.
Your illustrations are missing the pivoting head which, mostly likely takes care of most Sly Guys contours, regardless of the "wheel base" length.
Another thing to consider is that the headblade is designed to make long pass. Checkout their demo video for confirmation. The long strokes help to prevent nicks because most nicks and cuts occur at the point where blade movement begins or ends, and not in the middle of the stroke unless a ridge is scraped or a bump is hit.

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
Fair points, Kojak. 
Plus my diagram is ridiculously over-simplified and exaggerated as well.   ;)
I just wanted to make the point of short vs long.

The spots I really have a problem with is at the top of my temples. It's weird, I got a strong boney brow I guess. And they say Neanderthals went extinct!!  :P

Question, when you guys do the sides of your head with a HB, ATG.. how do you hold it?
I've been experimenting.. I think, elbow out and forward, thumb pointed down, same side hand as side of head (right/left).. leading with the edge of my palm, upwards..  sound about right?

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »
Yes, up from behind the ear as you say, and in front of the ear upwards with the thumb up. Kind of like an upside-down "V", in my case that is not exactly ATG but close enough. Just above my ears a little area can't be reached with the HB, so I touch it up with the razor I'm using for face shaving.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:51:34 PM by The Noggin »
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline headblade

• Sly Guy in Training
    • HeadBlade
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »
Hey guys...this thread has come to my attention.  I love that you're putting some great thought into the design of our products.  We're working on some new stuff (hint hint) and I think you'll see we're not resting on our laurels.

Concerning the different wheelbase between the Classic and Sport; it is nominal at best.  The HeadBlade Sport body is longer, but the wheelbase is almost exactly the same. It appears longer because the unit is wider (in front) and the tail goes out much further in the back (see pics). But if you hold the units up blade to blade and wheel to pad, you'll see it's almost the same.  

The body is longer to make for the smoother shave and allow the finger resting on the back to keep the wheel down.'

Thanks for all the support!  Keep up the great look...

Todd

Enter your email address: