Author Topic: Choosing a Career path  (Read 7920 times)

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
Choosing a Career path
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:40:21 AM »
I was curious as to how all of you ended up in your current career.

Are you happy with your choice? Do you enjoy working? How did you decide on your career?

I'm just wondering what some thoughts are on this since I'm going to be running out of General studies classes soon and I need to get my ass in gear and pick something. Unfortunate thing so far the things I'm interested in are Highly competitive with low job security.

Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Choosing a Career path
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:52:35 AM »
Morthern, some things come by choice and others by opportunity (right time, place).  You've heard of starving artists,  @^t well, they didn't have an alternate career that made any money...and maybe they weren't what was appreciated by the public.  :o
If you can find a field that makes you happy and makes enough money for you to live comfortably, then you will be way ahead of most folks.  O0
Right now I sit in front of a computer all day and research requirements and replacement equipment - it helps pay the rent, but I'd rather be out dealing with people and making things happen.  I will get there; but for now, I'm getting by.
I hope this helps you on your journey through life. ;)

Offline Barry

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:41:32 AM »
Read: "The 4-Hour Workweek" by Timothy Ferriss.
Enlightening. >:D
Barry

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:42:35 AM »

Are you happy with your choice? Do you enjoy working? How did you decide on your career?

I'm just wondering what some thoughts are on this since I'm going to be running out of General studies classes soon and I need to get my ass in gear and pick something. Unfortunate thing so far the things I'm interested in are Highly competitive with low job security.

to directly answer you as much as possible i work has a Public Safety Dispatcher for a local university. yes i am content not necessarily happy but it is the best job i have had so far in my short 28-29 year old life. i love the job on good days and hate the job on bad days like any one else, but i love the work. my job sort of found me thru a old friend who was looking out for me. i needed better pay and benefits and such. i have always been a by the hour man and busted my arse off but thanks to him i will not have to. the work is has easy as i would like it some days and stress full on others. my suggestion for you is simple experience all kind of jobs you can and find the fit that is best for you. remember a "Highly competitive with low job security" equals a bad thing in the current economical times. and could get worse when things improve.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:07:40 AM »
I am in the health care field.....Radiologic, CT, and Lithotripsy technologist.  It has been a very rewarding career for the past 30 years.  A lot of the luster is off now that people use the ER as a clinic, but it has been a wonderful experience.  I was ONLY interested in sports and athletic scholarships when I was a young, rutting buck.  Well, 1 knee surgery turned in to 2, 2 turned in to 6....poof, any athletic career was over.  Off the advice from a friend, I applied for rad tech school and had forgotten all about it.  I was just taking basic courses when I was accepted to rad/tech school....just fell in my lap.  Don't get me wrong, had to have good grades and it was a tough 2 year course, but it happened out of the blue.

We were told "go in the health care field, there will always be a job".....not so today!  Cut backs, hospitals broke, overworked, etc....I am just stating this so you might research a lot of the fields you are interested in.  My youngest son joined the military and became an A1 Abrams maintainer....has opened the door for a nice diesel mechanic job in the civilian world.  My oldest could not stand working inside or being couped up...He is an AC/Heater worker and LOVES roofing work, which he does on the side.  There are many fields out there---just find what you like.  Good luck on your career path, man!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:08:55 PM by reb123161 »

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
I made the mistake choosing paycheck over passion.  So I majored in Computer Science instead of Music Education.  20 years later, I find myself a creative/artistic type trapped in a soulless job.  I will be working on changing this very soon though - as soon as the kids are out of the house and a few of the nagging debts are dealt with, I will be going back to school to major in Photography.  After that, I can hopefully pursue something a bit more satisfying for the next 20-ish years!
MikeC

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:09:20 PM »
I'll tell you what my mentors told me and what I pass on when people ask how they should pick what they major in or work in: Do what you love, the money will follow!

If you pick a subject that you love learning, then you're going to get the best grades possible!  Then you can decide if there is a profession that you can pursue that uses your degree.  If not, that is OK.  Just make sure you pick a career that you can be passionate about.  If you decide there is something that you want to do, but you now need a different degree to do it, you can use the good grades from your undergrad to go get a masters in the area that you then wish to pursue. 

If you have a passion to be in business for yourself, then my suggestion is to pick a subject to learn that you love learning and start working on a business right away.  Don't let someone tell you that you are too young, too broke, or too anything to start a business.  All you need to be to be successful is to make one step forward in your business everyday.  Eventually you'll notice that you're business is no longer walking, but is running full speed ahead.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »
Tyler is very correct: "Do what you love, the money will follow!"

I would rather live modestly as a poker playing musician than make twice as much sitting in a soul-sucking cubicle or office all day, crunching away numbers or talking on a phone.

Just make sure you choose a major and profession that is something you have a passion about.  Go talk to a guidance counselor on campus to help find your path.

EDIT: I just noticed the irony about saying 'not sitting in an office all day crunching away numbers', when in fact that's what online poker is all about... oh well, at least it's not soul-crushing!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:22:31 PM by BillOnBass »
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 06:34:31 AM »
I am not super passionate about anything. The fields id like to work in are either the Film, Video game industry. Or something involving animals. Theres just soo many choices I literally have the world in front of me, and its frightening :(
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
I'm a pastor by profession. Simply put, I felt called to it and I am working with an awesome group of people right now.

I am an author by avocation. I have always enjoyed telling stories. My first murder mystery was bought by a New York publisher and they placed me under contract. I will never get rich at it but I enjoy crafting the mysteries. And I get to meet interesting folks.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »
My last job, I was able to get through a temp agency. Unfortunately I was laid off permanently 3 years later. I was able to get unemployment benefits, but unfortuately I am not going to be able to return to the workforce anytime soon. The doctor said I am probably down for the count. I have permanent nerve damage from my last job from sitting at the computer 8-10 hours a day at work. Even now I do not stay on the computer for long periods of time or my hands go numb.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »

I graduated a very good college and got my dream job as a Registered Investment Representative.  I was obligated to military duty and had to leave for Army training for 4 months within a few months of opening my office.  I lost a lot of momentum and being on straight commission, I ran out of money.

I worked several jobs and landed at a car dealership.  I transitioned to a finance company and 14 years later I'm in middle management.  It's been stable for me and the company I work for is the industry leader in captive auto finance.
TheBBQGuy

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 10:06:51 PM »
Whatever you do, do your best at it.  Give whatever you do the respect and attention it deserves.  There's an art to everything as well as a science.  Find the art.  Put YOU into it.  Invest in it.  Focus.  Give everything you're best otherwise, don't bother.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »
thanks for the replies guys, I'm really feeling down right now because I have no idea what to do with my life and I feel like I'm not good at anything.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 05:50:23 AM »
If you had told me 5 years ago that I'd be working days for my state's Department of Agriculture and going to school at night for massage therapy, I'd have laughed at you.  I'm not all that passionate about agriculture, but I tend to like people and a lot of what I do is logistical support for our inspectors and examiners.  Ordering supplies, getting stuff to them that they need.  Taking care of the folks in the field.

Massage therapy is just something I fell into.  My wife pretty much needs a massage once a week, something we didn't think we could afford.  My GI Bill covers the bill for ME to learn how to do it.  Oddly enough, I'm really good at it and will probably do something with it part time when I get out of school. 

The point is, sometimes you take a job just to pay the bills but you find a way to put yourself into it.  Maybe you get your fulfillment from a hobby or other activity. 

Before I did any of the above, I spent 23 years in the USAF.  Didn't think I'd spend more than four.  But it suited me and I seemed to fit there okay.  A life of service isn't for everyone, but it's working for me so far.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Enter your email address: