Author Topic: New to all of this  (Read 6859 times)

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
New to all of this
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm Kevin and I just joined this community. I have a full head of hair, but I've always wanted to shave my head just to see what it feels like. However, that was not enough to convince me to go sly.

I told people I wanted to shave my head and they are like, you have such a pretty head of hair, why would you want to do that!? I do have to admit my hair is pretty cool since its color changes when sun is added. So there were lots of people against me on  this topic. Well I moved to Boston from Missouri, and I'm trying to start my life as an adult (at 24). Well in Boston, my roommates had pulled the last straw by trying to tell me how my career should go, how I should wear my hair, that I was fat (I'm only 135 lbs), and what facial hair I should have (I live to stay clean shaven and they told me I needed to keep the scruff). I was tired of my life being out of control because I don't want other people being me, i need to be me. Also, like alot of guys here, I do suffer from that dermatitis thing. I've gone and dismissed like 3 or 4 dermatologists cause they couldn't stop the itchy bumps. I felt like the dermatologists treated me like they didn't believe me. They just don't have a cure for it, and this stuff gets to be a pain in the summer cause it's humid.

I was lurking on the boards and saw that alot of guys here overcome this problem. I know this from experience because my acne clears up after I shave my face because all the gunk isn't trapped by the hairs, and it's easier to clean the scalp where the problem hides. I didn't realize it until I started cleaning my head with astringent how nasty my scalp was with hair so now I understand what you guys mean by 'clean'. I don't care if I look like a spotted leopard for a while, I just want to be rid of the burning and itching. I'm going to face this problem like a man, some may call this reckless but I didn't care.

So I made an appointment at the barber to have a head shave (this way I felt like I couldn't chicken out). I told some of my friends about my plans for the shave and one friend of mine was like, "sure I'll clip your hair down with no guard". So we do that, and he tells me that white guys look uncool with shaved heads. I'm gay and I've been with alot of sexy bald gays, and no they weren't bears. They're all over the gay clubs here so I felt like that was rubbish. So he clips my hair down with no guard, hair flying everywhere (I hadn't gotten a haircut since May). Then it was done and I was pleased.

However, I wanted to be completely shaved because the prickly feeling I found to be unpleasant, so I went ahead and followed up with my appointment. The Barberette (?) was really knowledgeable about shaved heads, and suggested some of things you guys posted on this site. So at the end of it, I'm completely hairless on top and thrilled. I always expected a shaved head to feel all stubbly, and it feels as smoothe and light. Also, the itching has halted though there are red spots still.  I love the way the wind feels on my head, and I can't stop rubbing my head.

Thank you Sly Bald Guys for encouraging me to take the leap, I feel more like myself again, and i know that sounds very strange. Even though I had a full head of hair, it's nice to be liberated from it! The smooth soft feeling is fantastic!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: New to all of this
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Kevin!

Way to take control of your life... don't listen to what others think YOUR life should be. You look great shaved!!!

One word for you.............................. SUNSCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
Thanks alot! It means alot to me. yeah I know I need sunscreen, I think I'm going to get some sun tomorrow morning to tan up that nogin. I actually expected it to look much worse and pale! I burn so badly! Last summer I looked like a lobster and peeled like a lizard! I didn't leave the house for three weeks! thanks for the encouragement, I hope I make it through the 30 days.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:02:44 PM »
Welcome, it looks great!

I've never had it done, but I hear a barber shave doesn't get quite as smooth as when you do it yourself.  Next step: get a quality shaving cream/soap/gel and do it yourself!  Much cheaper and smoother.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice Bill, I was planning on doing the barber shave for the first time, and then trying to do it on my own once my skin heals up. It's funny though, because I saw she missed a few spots cause I can see she missed some fine hairs. I'd love to be even smoother than I already am right now so I'll try shaving my own head! I have the Nivea (sp?) ready and I bought some brand new razors for my new hairstyle.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »
Lookin' good Kevin!  O0

Yeah, definitely get some sunscreen!  ;)

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:24:16 PM »
Thank you Sarg! You're looking good yourself  :) yeah, I need to get some sunscreen and tan that noggin then I'll look much even more attractive!

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:41:39 PM »
Welcome!  There's tons of advice on here for you....and it is good advice!  Going SLY  was one of the greatest things I have ever done for myself.   Now, enjoy trying all the different products for folks like us--it is rather fun!

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome :) This is such a warm community, I'm honored to be one of the Sly guys. It's great being Sly

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »
Looking good there, xKevoBx. Glad you could join us!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
Welcome Kev, good to have you. You made the right choice for sure. Hang in there, you'll make it through the thirty days.
Stay with it and remember, you do it for you, no one else.  O0

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 03:25:35 AM »
Looks good on you! Welcome to the site......now beware the "shave shopping" itch!!  :D

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 06:11:41 AM »
Another 'welcome' here: looks great.  hope you stick around.  You're right: this is a great place to be! O0

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I ended up shaving it this morning and I didn't get one knick at all! I was pretty stoked that I didn't tear my head apart with the razor. I just used light strokes and I took my time. Bill you are right, you get a much closer shave if you do it yourself! Water feels really cool on your head after shaving, that's all I have to say.

I think I've bought enough shaving stuff for now. I'm pretty happy with my Mach 3 and my Nivea shaving cream for now.

I did have to shave my face though because I have a job interview today for a waitstaff/host position and I thought I looked too intimidating with the beard and the shaved head.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »
Good move.  Remember, shaving exposes your scalp to the sun--and the sun in Boston can be bright.  So I suggest two things, first and foremost--sunscreen, several good ones, Banana Boat dry spray work, spf 35 is good, dry, doesn't sting going on.  One can lasts a long time.  Second, add an astringent--cheap, either hydrogen peroxide or witch hazel, cheap effective.  Apply with a cotton pad or a kleenex, just be sure to keep that dome clean and it will stay clear.