Author Topic: Seven bumpy days  (Read 3132 times)

Offline TomKat

• This is not an infomercial
  • Sly Guy in Training
Seven bumpy days
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
Hi, so after seven days I seem to be getting more and more bumps and have some questions.   I took some advice in another thread and:

1. Started to exfoliate - got St. Ives (w/ salicylic acid) and have used it for 4 days.  Anyone allergic to this?
2. I'm shaving against the grain - maybe a bad idea?
3. I've been moisturizing with Loreal Men's Expert Active Defense System - I just had some laying around.  Seems like drying would be better for some things though?
4. Shaving with Edge Shaving gel for "sensitive skin" with aloe vera.  Still maybe not hypo-allergenic?
5. Just tried some Neutrogena T-gel - man that stuff stinks.  I dunno if it will help either.
6. I've been showing once per day - should I clean my head more often?  Seems kind of greasy and I'd considered getting some wet wipes lol
7. I'm sick with a cold, I think I do get pimples when I'm sick - anyone else notice skin issues with common colds?
8. I have a feeling the towels I use have laundry soap on them - they smell pretty floral (too much so) and the common washer at my apartment building doesn't rinse well.  Allergy?
9. I've got a thick bread and rarely use a blade on my face due to bumps and cuts on my neck.  I have two good (dry type) rotary razor that I use instead - maybe I should try using those on my head?  I'd really like to use a razor for the closer shave but...
10. Maybe at day 30 my skin will have adjusted to the new routine?
11. Some of the bumps itch mildly.

Bumps seem to be getting worse, are more obvious the first hour after shaving and are only on the sides (and lower back) part of my head where my hair is thickest.  Does this sound like they are just in-grown hairs?  If so should I just scrub harder (maybe get a brush) when I exfoliate?  I'm so tempted to head out the door right now and buy some acne meds but I don't think that will solve this because the top of my head is fine and I've never had much of an acne problem on my face.  Just random rare pimples from time to time.  What causes in-grown hairs other than the fact that I'm shaving?  I think I recall my cousin having success at bump removal on her legs by using vitamin-E oil.  I would hesitate to put that on my head.  

Thanks!

Tom
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:41:01 PM by TomKat »

Offline TomKat

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Seven bumpy days
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
Man I blathered on...  Read some other posts and here is my plan:

1. Witch Hazel for after shaving
2. Bald Guyz Moisture Gel

Both I need to purchase...

Also, I think I've been applying too much pressure to the blade.  Today I noticed it catching a few times too so I should probably get a new blade after 3 shaves.

Tom

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
I just got a bottle of Witch Hazel today and I already use Bald Guyz Moisture Gel so we'll have to compare how it works!

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »
Get a mild anti-acne soap, Cuticura for example, and wash your dome at least twice a day.  And don't forget to change the pillowcases--no hair to keep the oil and dirt away from your scalp.  Finally--if you're wearing a hat at all, make sure it's clean.

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
I'm changing my pillow cases now since I can't put a plastic sack around my head due to chance of suffacation

Offline TomKat

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »
Good points on hygiene. I like the plastic bag idea but maybe a disposable tin foil night cap would be safer?

So I finished shopping, applied products:

Witch Hazel: Feels nice.  I ended up using it on my face / nose too.  I think it helped the bumps/red spots already a little bit, hard to tell.  The directions on the bottle said, "apply with a cotton ball" - don't do this.  I ended up having little white fuzzies all over my head as they attached to spots I didn't shave well enough.  Do people just squirt it on and rub it around?

Bald Guyz Moisture Gel: Shines things up nicely.  Smells good so cancels out the somewhat funky smell of Witch Hazel.

Got some Bald Guyz Shaving gel too but haven't tried it yet.

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 03:29:05 AM »
I can vouch for the Bald Guyz Moisture gel....cleared up a few bumps I had near the back of my head/neck in a cpl days. 

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
I'm allergic to salicylic acid. I just use plain ole water to wash to melon (when not showering) I can only shave every 2-3 days or i get razor bumps. I use Headslick, a M5 razor (only twice), St Ives to exfoliate then Clean and Clear antibacterial face wash. At night i wash my face with water only and apply Clearasil to my whole head. Seems to be working for me now. Took almost 2 years to figure out what did and did not cause the bumps. I think mostly it was using too much crap. When I finally went to just using water at night, that's when i saw the most improvement. Oh and i change my pillowcases religiously.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
I am against shaving ATG, if your just starting to shave. The most I do is XTG and I find it smooth enough. I believe most barbers are taught to only shave WTG.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 11:36:30 AM »
Saintc's recommendations did it for me.  I had to try a few different things to get things to clear up.   Pillow cases, witch hazel, and switching from baldguyz gel to headslick did it for me.   Each person has a different body chemistry and reacts differently.    With my routine I haven't had bumps in ages:

1)  St. Ives scrub
2)  Head slick
3)  Headblade triples - I get 7 to 10 days out of them
4)  Very little pressure - but still get baby smooth shave
5)  Witch hazel
6)  Headlube

Everybody's different though

Offline TomKat

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »
Thanks guys!

Things seem to be clearing up.  Other than what I said I would do above I've started using a bar of anti-acne soap (benzoyl peroxide) and got one of those plastic exfoliating sponge type things and scrub hard with it.  Oh, and am starting a pillow case collection too so I've always got a clean one lol.

Still going ATG..

Plan on getting a head-blade soon too!

I still see a few red/bump spots but no nearly as many as I had before.  Mostly on the back of my head now.  Right after showing, shaving, etc I see more but they go away after a few hours - before they were not going away.

I've been taking a very strong (penetrates deeply through tissue) antibiotic the past 2.5 days for a sinus infection so that might be helping too.   I certainly hope not haha

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »
Actually the antibiotic could be helping - when I was a teenager, I took tetracycline religiously to kill the bacteria that lives in your pores and feeds off the oil (sebum).

Personally I don't shave ATG with my headblade in the back, only the top, where I'm pretty much naturally bald anyway. In the back though, it's too coarse. I have across after shaving with the grain.

BUT-  I hate that stubbly feeling when I run my hand up the back of my head. I learned that I can use an electric razor (foil type) to shave ATG in back, it removes that last bit of stubble and leaves my head feeling totally smooth, without getting so close as to cause ingrown hairs or bumps, really.
I use this cheap little $10 razor that's battery powered,  called the Micro Razor, got it from Walgreens.  That little thing is amazing! Perfect for touchups at the office too.
However, I should be getting my Conair Cleanhead today via UPS. Can't wait to try that.
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)