Author Topic: Clippers - quality, not length  (Read 12900 times)

Offline baldguy32

• Learning the way of Sly
Clippers - quality, not length
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »
Did a search, couldn't find anything.

I have been shaving my head with a razor for about a year, not in love with it. I want to go back to using clippers. I'm not concerned with having them shave extremely close to mimic a razor shave (or else I'd just keep using a razor) but I want to buy a pair that are very durable, a good value, and preferably can be used without a cord (i.e. can be charged -- this is not a requirement though). I'd be using them 2x a week or so.

In other words, I'm looking for the best quality clippers to use for keeping stubble, not necessarily the ones that cut the closest to the scalp.

Thanks guys.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Clippers - quality, not length
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »
baldguy32, welcome to Sly Bald Guys.  I recommend the Adis line of clippers.  They are "professional" grade and are very durable.

Here's a link to the clippers that I used: Andis Clippers
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 07:34:09 PM »
After I'd been shaving my head for about a year, I was starting to get tired of shaving every day and decided to use the clippers instead of the blade for a while.  I quickly found that maintaining a clipper shave was bigger chore than shaving with a razor.  For one thing, there was all the hair that had to be cleaned up afterwards.  And every time I put the clippers away, I'd always find another spot that I'd missed; it's harder than you think to keep all your hair evenly buzzed at such a short length.  And then 2 or 3 days later it would all have to be done again.  The experiment didn't last very long and I was quickly back to using the lather and razor.

Instead of using the clippers, I think it would be much easier to just keep shaving with the blade, but only do it 2 or 3 times a week, if you want to sport some stubble. 

JMO.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:07:11 PM »
Before you give up on shaving have you tried a HeadBlade yet?  It's quick and easy, you can even shave in the shower.  I don't even need a mirror.   O0

www.headblade.com

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »
Before you give up on shaving have you tried a HeadBlade yet?  It's quick and easy, you can even shave in the shower.  I don't even need a mirror.   O0

www.headblade.com
FYI  they also have a very good cordless set of clippers called Head Fade. O0
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline baldguy32

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:05:13 PM »
I used the Headblade at first and my head turned into a bloody mess. I was cutting myself left and right. I went back to a conventional razor and didn't really cut myself after that. It's not the routine that I disliked, as I could shave my head and face in about 10 minutes in the shower, I just don't like the way I look when I'm completely bald.

I did the clippers 2x a week for about 3 years before that and I prefer the way I look a lot more. The clean up isn't a huge deal. I just used to have to buy new clippers every couple months because they would be cheap and suck, and now that I want to go back to clippers I just want to find a really good pair that will last, hopefully under $100.

How are the Headblade clippers? Do they cut pretty close to the scalp?

Thanks for the recommendations so far, keep 'em coming!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »

www.headblade.com
FYI  they also have a very good cordless set of clippers called Head Fade. O0

FYI, HeadBlade told me that they're going to come out with a new set of clippers that will "bolw the HeadFade clippers out of the water"!

Still waiting to see...

~Sarge~

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »
Wahl Balding clippers are a fixed blade at 0 (zero) or something
http://www.wahlpro.com/baldingclipper.html 

Ive had a set of Wahl 'Classic' or whatever for the last 10 yrs with out a problem,still going strong.All i do is put some gun oil on them each time i use them.

Ian
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline baldguy32

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:11:20 PM »
Ian, that looks like a good clipper at a good price. How close does it cut? Do you happen to have the mm value?

Thanks!

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 12:46:56 AM »
Well it says 'Zero-overlap' so thats about as close as it gets
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline CatchWrestler101

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 03:28:50 PM »
baldguy32, welcome to Sly Bald Guys.  I recommend the Adis line of clippers.  They are "professional" grade and are very durable.

Here's a link to the clippers that I used: Andis Clippers
I agree 100%

Andis makes a great quality clipper. They also work very well for trimming facial hair.